Old transducer. Before I get out the hammer…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markbarendt

Vessel Name
Vessel Make
Ocean Marine
Outside
87C7E359-AA56-4C17-AD8D-C1F4489FD1ED.jpg
Inside
9B76066D-7BAE-4CF6-A0B4-7522153D4DF6.jpg
This isn’t moving, before I really start getting ‘persuasive’ I figured I’d ask.

My thought is that this old transducer is just glued in with some sealant.

Is it time for a hammer?

Is that a block of wood or steel on the inside? Start by chipping it away. Once you get it a little chipped away there is a 5200 solvent which should soften the caulk. Probably just a 3/4 inch bolt hole in the hill.

pete

A big pipe wrench on the outside portion will tear it loose but don't count on reuse of the fairing block.

If you know it's 5200, heat the shaft and transducer with a heat gun until its painful touch. 5200 breaks down with heat. If you don't plan to reuse it, put a big pipe wrench across the wide part and turn it with a piece of pipe to break it loose.

Ted

Thanks guys. I got a bit pushy with it from inside and the wood fairing block split and it dropped out.

The fairing blocks are only going to be used as patterns for new.

Have you checked and see if you can get a tilted array transducer? Then you don’t need the fairing blocks.

Have you checked and see if you can get a tilted array transducer? Then you don’t need the fairing blocks.

I may look for one. I have a slightly more modern transducer on the other side of the boat, but still with tilted fairings. I have to see if it even works though.

For this hole I may just put in speed through water and water temperature.

I like the tilted arrays since you don’t need the fairing blocks. I just removed and glassed in 2 old transducers and the wooden fairing blocks were both rotting out. With the tilted array they mount flush to the hull but still look straight down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom