Old 02-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #1

City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Oil change now or spring

2006 Mainship Yanmar 6LYA-STP

This is my first season im leaving boat in water.
I winterized all water lines & engine, AC & Gen.
I have not used the boat since mid Jan. Im in NY ( long Island) have had very cold days and weeks. The engine compartment is heated 65 degrees all day.
I have not changed oil , will this be something i should do now or in spring ( April )

i plan on short haul April 5, for bottom paint , & zinc. fuel filters & impellers.
SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
At this point I donít see any benefit either way since it is so close now. Some recomend changing in the fall so engine sits all winter in clean oil. That is what I usually do.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I doubt you will get a good drain w/o running it first.
Oil is just sitting in the pan at this point doing no harm... I'd wait till spring and when you can run it to get it warmed up well.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #4

Thats what i thought....So i will just wait until April to crank over and then drain... same with generator. I was just reading so may articles about acid deposits creating harm on moving parts? But the oil is in the pan as you mentioned.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:30 PM   #5

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTKNIGHT View Post
..... I was just reading so may articles about acid deposits creating harm on moving parts? ...
Yes. Generally it is a good idea to change the oil in a vehicle before you put it away for the winter/season for that reason. If you can change the oil before you put it away that would be nice. If you can't, and can only get to it at the start of the next season of use, I don't think it would be anything to worry about.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTKNIGHT View Post
Thats what i thought....So i will just wait until April to crank over and then drain... same with generator. I was just reading so may articles about acid deposits creating harm on moving parts? But the oil is in the pan as you mentioned.
It's not as simple as I stated but there is oil remaining in the engine and helps lube when started but that's true even if you removed and replaced the oil in the pan unless you run to circulate new oil which I take it you can't being winterized.

If you have any info on how many hours on oil it may be worth pulling a sample when you do change and send it in for analysis. It by itself won't tell you a lot unless a factor is way out of line but it will provide a baseline for future comparison. I dont do analysis every year but will continue every other year unless / until something starts to go wrong.

If you sample You will find a TBN number... total base number that indicates the remaining ability to counteract acid formation. Many people repeat what they hear that all used oil is acidic and will ruin an engine if left in. I'll just say there is more to it and modern oils take good care of themselves up to a point and unless something like a cooler is in need of attention.
Sleep soundly as I will bet your current oil is OK... I have had oil tested at end of year and it always comes back with recommendation to continue running it and retest at a later time. I have followed the advice once in awhile when hours were low and could get another season before I changed.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:15 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The best oil change is done after a long run with the oil and engine still hot.

Oil normally contains detergents which can lift stuck crud that is too fine for filters to grab that is wise to remove from the engine.

Do changes hot and there will seldom be crud inside the valve covers .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
At this point might as well change in the spring. Normally, I change in the fall. On our last weekend before haulout, I warm the engines up and change the oil. The only time they get run after that is to move the boat to the lift pit for haulout and then winterize the engines (right after the move).

Oil will buffer some acids, etc. as long as the oil isn't used up, but I figure it's playing it safe to store the engine with clean oil in it and minimize the risk of internal corrosion. Only time I'll store an engine for its off-season with dirty oil is if it's still very early in its oil lifespan. I'm also more likely to do that if it's in a climate controlled environment (less risk of condensation in the engine).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #9

Thanks Bacchus, you just stopped the voices in my head ...LOL .
Old 02-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have gone over to the new school of oil changes. I submit oil for testing and let that tell me if an oil change is needed. As a result there are less oil changes.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The best oil change is done after a long run with the oil and engine still hot.
Correct. I change my oil at the end of a day's run. Yes, it can be a bit uncomfortable working around a hot engine, but thoroughly warmed oil will be pumped out more easily and more of it will come out. And, any contamination is mixed with the oil.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
Yes. Generally it is a good idea to change the oil in a vehicle before you put it away for the winter/season for that reason. If you can change the oil before you put it away that would be nice. If you can't, and can only get to it at the start of the next season of use, I don't think it would be anything to worry about.
Thats would I have been told too.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #13

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Oil change now or spring

Yes. Change oil late season before winter storage.
Do it after one of your last outings of the season, engine still warm.

Then run again at least once before storage.

Clean fresh oil on all parts is way better than putting her up coated in older oil/contaminants.

Same for any vehicle or equipment going into seasonal storage.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:28 AM   #14
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Salted View Post
Yes. Change oil late season before winter storage.
Do it after one of your last outings of the season, engine still warm.

Then run again at least once before storage.

Clean fresh oil on all parts is way better than putting her up coated in older oil/contaminants.

Same for any vehicle or equipment going into seasonal storage.
Total bull poop. Absolutely no need to change out perfectly good oil before winter layup. So, tell us, what is that awful oil doing to your engine's innards in-season? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, all that acid in the oil will corrode engine parts off-season. Nope, no acids in the oil as long as the TBN remains suffciently high. What is TBN you ask? I recently tested oil that had 600 hours and was in the engine for nearly three years. Yup, TBN still good, contaminants below acceptable level - that is for what filters are - and the oil was recommended good for further use. You, sir, are likely just wasting your money as do many boaters who have bought into this myth propagated by folks who know nothing about oil efficacy.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #15
Guru

I generally go with this: if the oil is not near change time, leave it alone. But if it's most of the way to a change interval, I'll just do it before putting the thing into off season storage.

Catalinajack is absolutely right about oil having acid buffering capabilities.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:11 AM   #16

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Oil change now or spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Total bull poop. Absolutely no need to change out perfectly good oil before winter layup. So, tell us, what is that awful oil doing to your engine's innards in-season? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, all that acid in the oil will corrode engine parts off-season. Nope, no acids in the oil as long as the TBN remains suffciently high. What is TBN you ask? I recently tested oil that had 600 hours and was in the engine for nearly three years. Yup, TBN still good, contaminants below acceptable level - that is for what filters are - and the oil was recommended good for further use. You, sir, are likely just wasting your money as do many boaters who have bought into this myth propagated by folks who know nothing about oil efficacy.

I do understand the TBN test and oilís highly variable -by brand- capacity to handle acids, not to mention protection against abrasive soot.

Oil is cheap.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #17
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I don't disagree with CJ's point, but could someone explain why my Yanmar manual wants oil changes every 6 mos or 125 hours? I don't think Yanmar is in the oil business. Maybe this is worst case under some set of operating circumstances?
Old 02-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I don't disagree with CJ's point, but could someone explain why my Yanmar manual wants oil changes every 6 mos or 125 hours? I don't think Yanmar is in the oil business. Maybe this is worst case under some set of operating circumstances?

They're almost certainly playing it safe. Figuring that someone will use the worst oil that meets their specs and the engine will see near worst-case operating conditions for oil life.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #19

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post

You should let the engineers at Deere and Northern Lights know that they have been giving bad advice. Maybe you can help them update their recommendations.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
My guess is..... is that if your engine is still under warranty, follow OEM recommendations if you hope to have warranty coverage should you have a failure. Otherwise, oil testing can be used to determine when to change. However, personally, I found oil testing to ensure the oil is still good, to be relatively expensive, and it was just as easy to just change it as recommended. Most years that meant changing it annually in the fall before the winter period of no use.
To the OP, as others have stated, just wait until spring.