Oil change now or spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing i am pondering is time on oil. I have a motorhome with a cummins ISX 15 liter using rotella T6. With covid been sitting more. Oil last changed 2-2020. I put 45 hours on the oil. Were heading out for a short trip so i would like your thoughts regarding time on oil vs hours. The engine has around 1300 hours on it.
Thoughts?

One thing i am pondering is time on oil. I have a motorhome with a cummins ISX 15 liter using rotella T6. With covid been sitting more. Oil last changed 2-2020. I put 45 hours on the oil. Were heading out for a short trip so i would like your thoughts regarding time on oil vs hours. The engine has around 1300 hours on it.
Thoughts?

I would not be worried about running it with out an oil change.

Thoughts?

I'd probably run it as-is for the trip. Depending on what portion of the normal change interval (in miles or hours) has elapsed by the end of the trip, I might think about changing it after. If it's still not close to the interval, I'd let it go another year or 2 before getting worried.

As happens often this thread has drifted far from the OP's question...
If you read back the original question was with a boat that is already winterized and unable to run it is there benefit to changing now vs spring in other words is there any benefit to just draining oil in the pan and refilling w/o any ability to rune, heat it up and run it after refill to distribute fresh oil???

As happens often this thread has drifted far from the OP's question...
If you read back the original question was with a boat that is already winterized and unable to run it is there benefit to changing now vs spring in other words is there any benefit to just draining oil in the pan and refilling w/o any ability to rune, heat it up and run it after refill to distribute fresh oil???

Don,
There was no drift once the topic was resolved in post #3. The OP question was firmly answered. After that discussion varied to other queries.

And even it it was actually thread drift, what’s new about that?

Based on the opinions given, oil must be changed at the end of season, and must changed again at the start of season. Problem solved, everyone happy?

Slowmo
2 additional questions...

How about turbo diesels do they change the recommendations or still not severe duty?

Any thoughts on using straight grade diesel oil in warm Wx vs multi vis with ~30% additives / vis modifiers? Generally (my Yanmar at least) show either OK but have always heard straight grade better as long as temps warm?

A turbocharged engine doesn't necessarily have more severe service. Seerity is a function of load factors. Keep in mind that ALL of the diesel engine testing we put oils through are based on turbocharged engines running at high power for hundreds of hours. I am not a fan of single grade oils. We learned decades ago that oil consumption is lower with multigrade oils, it is a function of fluid dynamics in the ring belt. But more importantly no single grade oil can meet modern performance requirements, thus they have much lighter additive systems. SAE 30 is sometimes used in reverse gears (e.g. Twin Disc) but that doesn't need the highly detergent oil that an engine does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom