Old 11-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #41

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Peggie recommends PureAyre in her book, and that's good enough for me! I use it a lot and and does work!

Odor eliminator PureAyre eliminates cat, pet, smoke, skunk, cigars, gasoline, cooking and musty odors

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #42

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Yeah, I have no interest in "pink over stink."

I've posted elsewhere about what I've done with my boats, as was posted by another above. Draw in air at one end, eject it at the other. I use small boxer fans, similar to what cools electronic equipment. Very low amperage draw. The bonus is that, when you add a heat source such as a ceramic disc heater or oil-filled radiator, the cool, dry outside air drawn into the boat picks up a lot of moisture as it warms, and the moisture is ejected at the other end with the warmed air.

The boat is therefore essentially odor-free and with NO mold or mildew problems.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #43
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I have 3 12vt compartment fans in the saloon and 2 in the stateroom.
This year, I added a custom over-kill hood over the stove with 12vt fan, on a rheostat. I dont shut the fan off. It is super quiet at slow speed and it exhausts outside on the upper deck.
When I leave the boat for a couple of months, I clean the strainer and leave one A/C running, set about mid 80s.
Even w/o the range hood, when I returned, no problems.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #44
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
"Stale" air has to have a source, prob'ly more than one. Air fresheners are just masking it. Find and eliminate the source(s), find a way to create a means of circulating fresh air, and you won't need them.

--Peggie
Peggy, the stale air comes from leaving the boat all closed up. There are no air leaks so no sources of "clean" air to replace the stale air. It's like if you went on a vacation for a few weeks and came back home to find the house filled with staie air.

We live in a desert so I don't want any fresh air circulating inside the boat when we're not here. I would come back to find the interior of the boat covered with dust particles. That's the reason why we use fabric seat covers on all the seating areas and the helm when we're not on the boat. I can shake the dust out of the covers a lot easier than I can wash all the seating areas.

So I use the air fresheners on the boat when we're not around. When we return to the boat it's clean inside and it smells nice.

BTW, I searched the internet and couldn't find any info on those air fresheners being toxic.

Do you happen to have a source that I could go to to read up on it?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #45
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
BTW, I searched the internet and couldn't find any info on those air fresheners being toxic.

Do you happen to have a source that I could go to to read up on it?
Do an internet search for MSDS then search on the brand you use.

Took me 10 mins to dig that out of my memory. LOL

Try....
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html
Old 11-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I used to have that issue until I did 2 things:

1. Reduce humidity by finding and stopping the bilge water source(s) and installing Eva-Dry dehumidifier.

2. Use NoFlex (or equivalent) in holding tank/hoses and occasionally in bilge water to clean and oxygenate the environment.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #47
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I used to have that issue until I did 2 things:

1. Reduce humidity by finding and stopping the bilge water source(s) and installing Eva-Dry dehumidifier.

2. Use NoFlex (or equivalent) in holding tank/hoses and occasionally in bilge water to clean and oxygenate the environment.
Hmmm I do use Noflex in the sani-tank. Never thought about the bilge. Thanx.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #48
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Do an internet search for MSDS then search on the brand you use.

Took me 10 mins to dig that out of my memory. LOL

Try....
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3514.html
Dan, thanks for the link. It only got me to the aerosol versions of room deodorizers but I couldn't find any for the plug in models.

I did find a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the plug in versions. But, like the ones for the aerosol products there is a bolded area at the top:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...reply&p=946897

"This SDS is designed for workplace employees, emergency personnel and for other conditions and situations where there is greater potential for large-scale or prolonged exposure, in accordance with the requirements of
USDOL Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

This SDS is not applicable for consumer use of our products. For consumer use, all precautionary and first aid language is provided on the product label in accordance with the applicable government regulations, and shown in Section 15 of this SDS."

So I'll take those two bolded areas as the government saying that there isn't enough hazard to warrant warning consumers. C'mon man, we all know the government wouldn't lie to us, right????

Kinda what I figured, so I think I'll keep using them. I've lived 74 years without worrying about minutiae like that. I figure if you've been in the military, hunted, camped, hiked in wildnerness areas, etc. you don't get too upset by minutiae, and this issue falls firmly in that category.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Plantation
Vessel Name: Fancy Nancy
Vessel Model: Meridian 411 Sedan Bridge
I had the same issue with my 411 when I first purchased, although no urine or petroleum smell, just a "boat" smell.
Put some fans in the saloon and staterooms, along with the "Damp Rid" buckets, and all better.
I think it's just an accumulation of old humid air and the changing of temperature from day to night. moving air and removing moisture seem to do the trick.
Captankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #50
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captankirk View Post
I had the same issue with my 411...
Good to have a fellow 411 owner on here.

I am lucky enough to have a boat that has a fairly dry bilge. I do get some minor amounts of water when it rains. I think it comes through the hatch drains. But bottom line, mostly dry.

I am also a firm believer in dehumidifiers. For whatever reason, the dehumidifier modes on reverse cycle AC units do not do the trick. A small proper one does the trick. It also keeps the boat a little warmer during the winter months. I also run block heaters in the colder months. About to go down and turn them on for the first time this year. NoFlex in the holding tanks as well. My GF is an odor freak. And it passes her test. I struggled on the Carver since I was always chasing an oil leak. I found it on the survey when selling it and it was a simple thing....but kinda pissed me off that I was unable to find it forever.

Also, I have used ozone generator in small doses. They work but realize you are still just covering an odor.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #51
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I would try a four pack of Ozium and see how they work.
If you need to change the air inside the boat and solar isn't a good option, check out a fletnor vent, powered by the wind to draw out air in the boat. No power needed, just mount it where it can get airflow across the top of the fletnor turbine.
https://www.flettner.co.uk/products/flettner-2000/
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #52

City: Buffalo
Odor eater

Sailors swear by Kanberra Gel. I havent had the need to use it but do a little research on it. Good Luck!
alvasurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #53
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I would try a four pack of Ozium and see how they work.
If you need to change the air inside the boat and solar isn't a good option, check out a fletnor vent, powered by the wind to draw out air in the boat. No power needed, just mount it where it can get airflow across the top of the fletnor turbine.
https://www.flettner.co.uk/products/flettner-2000/
WOW! I think I need a Fletner. As long as I've owned this boat, I've wanted better ventilation for my shower stall. I'm talking about a vertical installation, that is, not overhead; anyone with actual experience?
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #54
Guru

City: gulf coast
Hard to believe that this is still being debated. Would anyone be surprised in their house smelled if water, fuel, mold were allowed to remain?

There are boats with clean dry bilges and those that smell, your choice.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #55
Guru

City: Anacortes
Iíve lost almost all of my sense of smell. You would think that means that smells donít bother me, but you would be wrong. Iíve got about 10% on a good day and usually half that.

What bothers me? Air fresheners. Gives me a headache, drives me nuts. I canít ignore them and either destroy them or leave, canít tolerate them. My wife will think she can sneak one in and that I wonít know. Nope! Iím like a bloodhound with those things, itís like immediate hate. That and any other artificial strong fragrance. People think that they mask other obnoxious smells are kidding themselves. You simply have so much sensory overload that you choose to ignore everything else, especially after you have gotten used to the smells. Like the old fabreeze commercials, itís only you who doesnít smell it. Anyone new immediately does, air freshener or not.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Iíve lost almost all of my sense of smell. You would think that means that smells donít bother me, but you would be wrong. Iíve got about 10% on a good day and usually half that.

What bothers me? Air fresheners. Gives me a headache, drives me nuts. I canít ignore them and either destroy them or leave, canít tolerate them. My wife will think she can sneak one in and that I wonít know. Nope! Iím like a bloodhound with those things, itís like immediate hate. That and any other artificial strong fragrance. People think that they mask other obnoxious smells are kidding themselves. You simply have so much sensory overload that you choose to ignore everything else, especially after you have gotten used to the smells. Like the old fabreeze commercials, itís only you who doesnít smell it. Anyone new immediately does, air freshener or not.
THis is so friggin funy because I feel the exact same way and go through the same battles with my woman. I will very occasionally approve of a mild candle. But plug-in air fresheners go straight to the trash!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #57
Guru

The Admiral lost her smell in a boating accident in her 20's. can't smell anything. She still burns scented candles and plug-ins. Some things you just got to go with... Pick your battles.

As far as Fletnor ventilators, they are on just about EVERY service truck in Europe, but for some reason have not made the leap across the Atlantic. I've seen a few here in the U.S. and there is a US distributor. As long as there is horizontal wind flow, it will spin the outside turbine, and that spins the inside fan to evacuate the inside area. On service vans, they recommend adding a bottom vent hole for fresh air coming in.
For Marine applications, they recommend this model: https://www.flettner.co.uk/products/flettner-tcx-2/

US dealers:
https://www.inlad.com/brands/roof-vents-by-flettner/
www.austinhardware.com
Address : Missouri, Lees Summit, MO 64086, USA
Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post

Ozium does not smell much if any. I can't smell it and it tends to help eat odors. Drying out the boat would help, Dehumifying the interior would help, and changing the air occasionally would help.

I don't like plugin stink bombs. Best to fix the problem rather than sugar coat it with some flowery stinky fragrence.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Ozium does not smell much if any. I can't smell it and it tends to help eat odors. Drying out the boat would help, Dehumifying the interior would help, and changing the air occasionally would help.

I don't like plugin stink bombs. Best to fix the problem rather than sugar coat it with some flowery stinky fragrence.
Ozium is HIDEOUS!!!! BUT....I think all of our senses are tuned differently. Some people can eat heaps of garlic....some cannot stand it. Red onions absolutely destroy me.....but I have seen people gobble them down. Anyway, when it comes to "aromatic" things, we are all wired differently. And Ozium makes me want to HURL!!!!