Old 11-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #21
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
In addition to doing everything peggy talks about. I do not have dripless stuffing boxes, so I have to treat my bilge water consistantly or the dead microorganisms smell. I built two soap dispensers with time clocks set to release soap once a day into the bilge. I have simple green in one and diluted bleach and water in the other.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails
soap.jpg  
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I guess I should have been a bit clearer in what I wrote. We didn't have bad odors on the boat, more stale air. The air fresheners changed the stale air to a clean smelling air.

And as far as being toxic--we have used those the entire 10 years we owned the boat. After sweeping out the dead bodies when we came on board we didn't notice any ill odors.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: AR
So you have a device that leaves you with a bilge full of soapy water for the bilge pumps to dispose of. Would you just add detergent and bleach to water in your kitchen sink, pull the plug and expect to have a clean sink without rinsing? So WHY would you expect to do essentially the same thing and expect to have a clean bilge????? Of course not! Ya gotta rinse out--THOROUGHLY rinse out--all the soapy water out of your bilges on a regular basis. And stop using bleach...it's corrosive and damaging to rubber....It has no place anywhere on a boat!

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #24
Guru

"Stale" air has to have a source, prob'ly more than one. Air fresheners are just masking it. Find and eliminate the source(s), find a way to create a means of circulating fresh air, and you won't need them.

--Peggie
Old 11-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
stop using bleach...it's corrosive and damaging to rubber....It has no place anywhere on a boat!

--Peggie
ANYWHERE? I think you meant to say....
Except of course for commissioning the fresh water tank???
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Ok...you got me there. But that's the ONLY place!! However, there are people who don't even think it's ok to use it for that.

--Peggie
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Good one, I thought about posting this but then said, No.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I guess I should have been a bit clearer in what I wrote. We didn't have bad odors on the boat, more stale air. The air fresheners changed the stale air to a clean smelling air.

And as far as being toxic--we have used those the entire 10 years we owned the boat. After sweeping out the dead bodies when we came on board we didn't notice any ill odors.
Wifey B: Just because no one died doesn't mean they aren't toxic. Worst kind because they sneak up on people.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #29

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: RIPTIDE
Vessel Model: 1927 Schertzer Bridge Deck Cruiser
Can't find a reference to Formula B anywhere online (lots of racing car stuff and quadratic equations, though). Any suggestions? Pete
------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
I recently read a review in Practical Sailor that describes a "home made" spray that helps with the growth of mold or mildew (even on soft surfaces). They gave it a fairly high review (praise). Instructions were to lightly spray it on, and let it dry. Keep your bilges as clean and dry as you can, and run a dehumidifier. Try this spray.

Formula B combined one quart hot water, two tablespoons baking soda, two tablespoons Borax, and one tablespoon TSP.

old salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck

One of my favorite all-time commercials
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Why not do a proper job cleaning and then get airflow into the boat? Why make chemicals to get rid of the odors instead of just doing a good job cleaning?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #32
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Why not do a proper job cleaning and then get airflow into the boat? Why make chemicals to get rid of the odors instead of just doing a good job cleaning?
Airflow down here means the introduction of HUMID air and the resulting mold. Better down here in the soupy south to stay closed up with some form of dehumidification running. The surveyor who checked my wooden GB over the years brought an apprentice with him the last time the boat was surveyed before sale. As he entered the cabin, he looked at his trainee and told him that he would be smelling no stale or wood rot typical odors on this particular boat. Lots of bilge crawling over the years with rags and cleanser and anti-rot borate solution in a spray bottle earned the boat that reputation.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #33
FF
Guru

No matter how clean the bilge is there can still be" boat smell".

Much comes from any piece of wood that might be buried , spacer , stringer whatever that has some dry rot.

The ozone generated in a power plant (megawatt) will eventually do harm to some types of rubber , but a tiny unit will not being the ozone levels high enough to do damage
. Boats are seldom sealed tight enough for a plug in unit to matter..

An old wooden boat will take the longest to clear , most plastic boats only need an O'night once or twice a year.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #34
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
In addition to doing everything peggy talks about. I do not have dripless stuffing boxes, so I have to treat my bilge water consistantly or the dead microorganisms smell. I built two soap dispensers with time clocks set to release soap once a day into the bilge. I have simple green in one and diluted bleach and water in the other.

Bud
Just use the gore dripless packing and that problem goes away.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #35
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO keep the bilge clean and dry and there will not be odors in a FG boat. Anything else is just snake oil.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #36
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by old salt View Post
Can't find a reference to Formula B anywhere online (lots of racing car stuff and quadratic equations, though). Any suggestions? Pete
------------------------------------------------------------
Pete,

Here is a link to the Practical Sailor article.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...0201108-Mildew

I hope it works.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud
We use Duramax packing and it doesnít drip in our conventional stuffing box. We just repacked one last winter and they need to drip for breakin period of 5 to 10 hours but with the virus we didnít get enough hours last summer. This winter I am going to rebuild the other stuffing box while I have that engine out. So next summer I will have to get them both adjusted.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #38
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
So you have a device that leaves you with a bilge full of soapy water for the bilge pumps to dispose of. Would you just add detergent and bleach to water in your kitchen sink, pull the plug and expect to have a clean sink without rinsing? So WHY would you expect to do essentially the same thing and expect to have a clean bilge????? Of course not! Ya gotta rinse out--THOROUGHLY rinse out--all the soapy water out of your bilges on a regular basis. And stop using bleach...it's corrosive and damaging to rubber....It has no place anywhere on a boat!

--Peggie

Peggy you are right. Sloth is getting the better of me or I would rather build something than clean! I sure like the smile on my wifeís face when she goes down in the focisile and smells the simple green. Happy Thanksgiving, the forum and you are on my gratitude list for the help I have received.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #39
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Our boat is in the Galveston Bay area which is synonymous with humidity. In the summer we keep one A/C unit running set at 82-84 degrees. In the colder months we run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity at bay.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #40
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
If one keeps the boat in the warm humid southern regions, odors, mildew, musty smells are the norm. Unless one is really aggressive about fighting it.

Would totally agree with Peggy, cleanliness is the first line of defense. And, as others have mentioned, air flow and dehumidification is a second.

Also, cleaning is constant. I find myself wiping down even the simple things, like the counter, sides, furniture, etc., etc..... all the time.

I've also found that a dehumidifier works wonders..... even a small one, if the cabin is reasonably sealed. And if one had the dehumidifier feature on the AC unit, great. And even running the AC helps. Ya still want a bit of airflow, but often that outside air is 80% saturated.

It's just part of a boaters life.