Nordic Tug eng room carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
My 2002 32’ Nordic tug has carpet on both sides of the engine. Nice when dry but always damp from maintaining raw water and coolant systems. It has also been damaged by battery acid. Being damp a significant amount of the time makes the engine room a corrosive and potentially mold laden chamber. Might be a silly question but does the carpet really serve any NEEDED insulating purpose? I would like to tear it out so spills can be cleaned immediately. Also the carpet is a dark green and makes the room dark. I will refurbish the floor to bright white and install high lumen LED task lights.

The carpet is there for the comfort of your knees , nothing else.

And that can be served with GOOD pair of knee pads.

I have considered putting rubber tiles down in the ER either side of the engine to solve the knee problem. I would not put carpet there for the reasons you mention. My guess it was put there by the PO.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will lay soft removable grating tiles to keep the feet and tools dry when there is a spill. Knee pads and a bump hat is standard confined space equipment for my bald head and wore out knees. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will lay soft removable grating tiles to keep the feet and tools dry when there is a spill. Knee pads and a bump hat is standard confined space equipment for my bald head and wore out knees. Thanks again.

What do you use for a bump hat? I need one of those.

bike helmet is good to protect the head... usually light weight, with cooling slots.

The bump hat I have is made by ergodyne. Got it on Amazon. It is a knit hat with a thin flexible insert. The hat fits close to the head therefore it does not limit my access to tight quarters. A little warm in hot weather but sure saves the head.

I consider engine room carpeting to be an additional fire risk. There's enough flammable material in the engine room, I don't need to add to it.

I don't believe carpet belongs in an engine room/compartment. (Fuel for a fire.) Rip it out and use knee pads or non-absorbing rubber flooring. Me, have neither as the engine is served sitting down on battery boxes on both sides with feet on metal flooring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom