Non skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sail pending

Hey.
We have a non skid coating that we assume is over 20years old. It is close to an 1/8” thick rubbery material with sand in it. Any thoughts on what it would be? The top coat over the sand is worn and the sand is exposed and hotter than Hades. I’m interested in re coating , but would like to figure out if a product would go right over it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice
Rob

Hey.
We have a non skid coating that we assume is over 20years old. It is close to an 1/8” thick rubbery material with sand in it. Any thoughts on what it would be? The top coat over the sand is worn and the sand is exposed and hotter than Hades. I’m interested in re coating , but would like to figure out if a product would go right over it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice
Rob

are you sure it's sand and not crushed up rubber bits? there are other ones that use walnut shell for grit too.
spantex is one brand of rubber coating i've used. with rubber crumbs for texture. it's pretty hot under foot. i don't know if the current offering from them is the same as what i used before. but they have acrylic color coats that go over the rubberized coat.
you can also go with a two part urethane over it. i've done that too. the gaco ub64 and u66 topcoat system is pretty bulletproof. not many color options though.
i tend to use the 2k systems rather than all the water based stuff, i have better luck with them holding up over time.

ifits rubber crumbles it could be durabak i think is the name of it.

You might check out Kiwi Grip as an option.

:iagree:

Sand off what you have and go back with Kiwigrip. Its held up perfectly for 6 years of cruising on my boat and is easy to repair if you ever wear an area down. It's easy to apply with a fair number of videos on the web.

Ted

I have been redoing my non skid for the last two years. The old non skid had sand and I'm guessing the paint was awlgrip mixed with the sand. I repaired the deeper dings and gouges with a two part sandable epoxy and then used Total Boat primer and non skid. The primer is designed for all top coats. The sand sucked up a ton of the primer. I did two coats of non skid. Very happy with the results. Not as sticky as the sand (which I did not want-tore up my shoes), but much easier to clean, which was more of a priority for me. The non skid takes a long time to dry (I waited a week before putting chairs and tables back). I would test a spot where the paint has lifted with the sandable two part epoxy (I use system three quickfair) to verify the rubber paint doesn't lift or react chemically before going further.

Back
Top Bottom