New Set of Spoons for my Trika

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
These just arrived yesterday. :thumb:

A new set of spruce spoon oars with leathers and brass oar locks from Shaw and Tenney They build to order truly beautiful traditional rowing oars!

https://www.shawandtenney.com/about-shaw-tenney#watch

20201024_075254.jpg

The blister pack above is an oar lock to secure oars to the dinghy from theft.

Ted

Last edited:
Enjoy, enjoy.
I still like the comforting sound of a small outboard.

Those are nice Ted. You’re gonna love your Trinka. We love ours.

Gonna row over to the Feb get together or bring Slow Hand? :D

I have an Epropulsion outboard for the Trinka also. The only sound I hear from it is the water going by the hull.

Ted

Do you have the 3 or the 6? Size and type of boat? Number of batteries? Best guess on the weight. Max safe distance to travel. And the price of your chosen motor. Please
Thanks, Dan.

There used to be an electric with a small solar panel on top. I guess that they went out of business.

Last edited:
Gonna row over to the Feb get together or bring Slow Hand? :D

All depends if they have space for me at the dock. Sounds like they will be fuller than normal

Ted

Those are nice Ted. You’re gonna love your Trinka. We love ours.

Yes, I'm thinking I'm really going to like it. Previous owner had it in the water till dime size blisters covered the wetted surface. A little bottom paint and no barrier coat caused 4 blisters. Boat sanded down to gelcoat, blisters sanded out, reglassed, and gelcoated. Hull had a few ripples that Sean couldn't let slide. He skim coated a few areas with West System and a combination of their bonding and fairing compound. Then resanded and shot 2 coats of Awlgrip Ultrabuild. Hopefully top coating Monday.

Color when I bought it.
20200901_150532.jpg

Nasty bottom.
20200901_150033.jpg

Today after 2 coats of Ultrabuild.
20201024_132927.jpg

Ted

Ted,
Here’s my Trinka type dinghy.
12’ Point Defiance by Gig Harbor boat works.
I also have S&T oars. If it’s convenient what is the Trink’s beam and your oar length?
They have a formula to determine that and wonder if your oars match the formula. I thought (as did the PO) that the oars were too long ... but the formula says they are right.
Pic is of me using my body for ballast/trim w my 4 horse putting out about 1/2 power. Probably making 3.5 to 4 knots.Engine is very quiet and smooth at that level of output.

Attachments

• 09B49BF9-0CC0-4937-A4C0-A2657AF81A69.jpeg
    09B49BF9-0CC0-4937-A4C0-A2657AF81A69.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Shaw & Tenney. Finest kind oars from a finest kind old Maine company.

Ted,
I also have S&T oars. If it’s convenient what is the Trink’s beam and your oar length?
They have a formula to determine that and wonder if your oars match the formula. I thought (as did the PO) that the oars were too long ... but the formula says they are right.
Pic is of me using my body for ballast/trim w my 4 horse putting out about 1/2 power. Probably making 3.5 to 4 knots.

Whatcha gonna push with that big pudding on the bow?

Do you have the 3 or the 6? Size and type of boat? Number of batteries? Best guess on the weight. Max safe distance to travel. And the price of your chosen motor. Please
Thanks, Dan.

There used to be an electric with a small solar panel on top. I guess that they went out of business.

I have the 3 HP model (Spirit 1.0 Plus) with the new 1.275 KW battery. I just bought one battery which is the top of the outboard. It weighs around 43 pounds, but the battery pack is half and can easily be attached after the motor is on the transom.

The boat is a Trinka 10' row and sailing dinghy. Boat cruises around 3.5 knots with only the sound of the water going along the hull. It will run 10+ hours at that speed. At 4.5 knots the boat is trying to climb over the bow wake. Time (Fuel Gauge) is about 8 hours. Wide open with me forward for 15 seconds is over 6 knots and totally unsustainable. I paid around $2.1K including MD sales tax (trying to support the local stocking dealer).

I'm figuring a 30 mile range for a day of exploring the skinny water of small tributaries. Boat draws maybe 6" with me and maybe 18" with the outboard down.

20200904_121242.jpg

20200904_090509.jpg

20200904_090530.jpg

20200904_085637.jpg

Ted

Ted,
Pic is of me using my body for ballast/trim w my 4 horse putting out about 1/2 power. Probably making 3.5 to 4 knots.Engine is very quiet and smooth at that level of output.

Beam is 54". Weight is 135 pounds.

I saw the formula and did the calculations. Trinka recommends 7' which was close to the calculations. I chose the spoon oar which has more of its width at the end. Shaw and Tenney were pretty emphatic that 7' 6" was the better length for my boat. I figured that they have sold a lot of oar sets to Trinka owners over the 35 years of production, so took their advice.

I need to fabricate an outboard throttle steering extension so that I can comfortably sit on the middle seat. I did some running from the middle seat but couldn't reach the tiller arm.

Ted

No Dan short.
But I've notched the transom down about 2"since these pics.
In these pics she ran well w no cavitation once underway as her prop was in the following sea. I anticipate no problem now even one up in the center of the boat.
That stern carries so much flotation I'm not the least worried about shipping water.

Ted,
My best oars are 8' .. not 7 as I had thought. And they are of the heavy ash. Yup gotta cut those oars down. Would like to hear how you do w the 7' oars. I have another set of ash oars about 7'8" and may cut them down as try-outs. They are kinda clubby compared to the better ones. Then I'll know when I cut the grade A oar it will be right. I could'a sworn they were 7' The Defiance beam is 55" amidships and 54" at the oarlocks.
The 4hp Evinrude is 33lbs. No reverse but remote gas tank. 2 cylinders. Did not come w the boat.

Dwhatty,
This boat served as the dinghy on a 140' barge probably not as you imagine but the "Pudding" is a tugboat woven rope fender typically seen on the bows of tugboats. The PO made it out of leader line laying around in Bristol Bay (Alaska) where he commanded the barge. Dan died from a desease and I made an offer to a girgfriend of Dans to purchase the boat. Wanted to paint it this summer but it's too cold now.

Attachments

• DSCF2498 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF2498 copy 2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2499 copy.jpg
    DSCF2499 copy.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Eric, I followed Shaw and Tenney's advice and went with 7' 6" oars.

Ted

Oh ... I thought you had 7' oars too.
OK good how much rowing have you done w the 7'6" oars?
I see now I didn't read very carefully. Been known too to that.
I'll try the 7' 8" clubby oars first.
Thanks for the clarification.

Oh ... I thought you had 7' oars too.
OK good how much rowing have you done w the 7'6" oars?
I see now I didn't read very carefully. Been known too to that.
I'll try the 7' 8" clubby oars first.
Thanks for the clarification.

From the original post, they arrived Friday evening. My Trinka has been in the boatyard all October. The oars that came with the boat were 8', too long and very heavy outboard.

Ted

Like Eric, I have a Point Defiance skiff. Shaw and Tenny oars. Mine are 8'6" and having got used to them, I wouldn't want anything shorter.

I put a oar lock on the stern for sculling. I can get up a very narrow creek with the sculling oar, slow but doable.

Ches

I have an Epropulsion outboard for the Trinka also. The only sound I hear from it is the water going by the hull.

Ted

I also bought an eProp electric motor this season. IMO it's the only way to go if you only need something in the 3HP range.

That’s purdy Ted. Sean sure does good work!

John

The electric paddle looks to have the motor in the top with a 90 degree conversion to the prop. Not as efficient as direct drive. Battery also appears to be quite a bit smaller. Wonder if there are any comparisons with other electric outboards.

Ted

The electric paddle looks to have the motor in the top with a 90 degree conversion to the prop. Not as efficient as direct drive. Battery also appears to be quite a bit smaller. Wonder if there are any comparisons with other electric outboards.

Ted

I agree. Also not as quiet. The "paddle" site even says it's not silent but quieter than gas. The eProp motors are all but absolutely silent. It's almost a downside till you get used to it because you can't tell if it's on.

Back
Top Bottom