Old 09-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: AriesEnergy
Vessel Model: 1985 42' Nova Sundeck
Smile NEW owner of a 42' Nova Sundeck, (1989)

Hi all!

A quick briefing. My wife and I are the proud (and now broke), new owners of a 1989 42 foot Nova Sundeck and we just adore her to bits!

We are San Francisco natives, recent empty nesters and love to be out on the surrounding waters of the Bay Area.

We have gotten AriesEnergy all dolled-up with newly painted teak trim, a new canvas enclosure, her engines serviced and will be commanding her from West Coast Canvas in Stockton to SF.

My question to all of you kind folks is

Does anyone know/have/can share an Owner's Manual?

Other than turning everything on and testing stuff we have no idea how to work anything. (We're also very new to a vessel of this size with many amenities)

Even identifying some of the equipment (she's and old boat) has proven to be difficult.

Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
first i would make sure you can deploy the anchor fast and know how to get to the through hulls valves fast .
then any equipment you can't identify post a picture on this site and someone is bound to know here.
and have fun
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We have a 1988 Present Sundeck - a very similar boat. You probably won't find an 'owner's manual', rather just a notebook full of individual manuals for various systems on the boat, most of which have been replaced, such as the LORAN manual on our boat Good luck.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #4

Hey timb. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes! the anchor is functioning properly however, I only lowered the hook a few meters to test when we purchased. I should definitely send it all the way.

Regarding the through hulls, other than duct tape for a split hose, I only have those wooden plug/cork things tied to each seacock. Recommend any other safety precautions for a leaky through hull? Oh gosh. I better do some research too on where they all are on the boat.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #5

Thank you FoxtrotCharlie (FC). I suppose I'll just continue to turn everything on, press buttons and flip switches and see what happens! lol! Question for you, (it is a silly question) How does one turn on the Generator when out on the water? is there a key or button at the helm or is it a manual start at the generator itself?
Old 09-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesEnergy View Post
Thank you FoxtrotCharlie (FC). I suppose I'll just continue to turn everything on, press buttons and flip switches and see what happens! lol! Question for you, (it is a silly question) How does one turn on the Generator when out on the water? is there a key or button at the helm or is it a manual start at the generator itself?
There should be a control center/panel somewhere around the lower helm for the Gen. You should not have to go the ER to turn it on. And there are no silly questions. I was in your shoes two years ago.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

This is the only pic I have of the items above the lower helm (Dont mind the goofy evil seed in the window). Other than the radio, I wasn't 100 percent sure of some of the other equipment. Any assistance in identifying (from left to right would be most appreciated).

I will take better pics and post as soon as I can. Thank you, this newbie is certainly learning loads from you all.

Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
Old 09-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
Guru

Yep, you've got the usual assortment of old equipment, most of which probably still works, or not. Can't really tell from the photo, but it looks like the panel on the far left may be your gen control panel. But on the other hand, it's usually lower on one of the base cabinets.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll take close up pics of each device and then do a google photo search. Happy boating!
Old 09-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
For the through- hulls, you might paint the area immediately around them in a bright yellow, in case you have to send someone else to close them.
Nigel Calders' Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Handbook is as close to an owners' manual as you are likely to find. His Marine Diesel Engines is also a good resource.
Many manuals can be found or collected on the web. It may help to have these stored on a tablet with good battery life.
As you put hands on your equipment, take pics and make notes of make, model, and serial number if possible. An Excel spreadsheet of boat equipment and spare part model numbers and equivalents (for filters, etc) is a good thing, as is a single-place record of maintence and repairs.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new boat! JohnS
Old 09-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #12

I found SOOOO much information in the Library section of this site (top right corner) Manuals, composting toilets, solar panel kits, mechanical tutorials. Just. WOW!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #13

I found the Manual for the Penta's!!!

https://www.manualslib.com/download/...a-Tamd60a.html

so exciting!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
You may not want to lower your anchor and chain into the water the first time. I’d lower it on the deck in front of your slip. That way you can measure the length and see if you have soft line connected inside the anchor locker. Hate to find it short and not secured and lose it all over board.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #15

Yet another great idea! You guys are coming through for the newbies!!!!!

Right on Giggitoni! Hope to see you out on the water sometime! Go Niners!
Old 09-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #16

City: San Diego
Generator controls are often part of or next to main AC breaker panel. There will also be a large selector switch that chooses Shore Power or Generator(sometimes Ship's Power) Once the generator is running, you throw this selector switch to Generator setting. It's best to turn off breakers for high draw items before throwing the selector switch. Electric heat or air conditioning, battery charger, microwave would be examples. Check generator oil dipstick before and after for proper level and color (off white/brown indicates water in the oil). Check coolant level as well.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #17

Thank you Swfla. I would rarely use the gen, (we actually use a portable gen for overnights and a propane grill) we're out 1-2 days max and its like 65 degrees all year round here in SF so no heater or A/C, none-the-less, it would be nice to have it functioning. Cold showers are the worst and I would hate to get stranded. I will heed your advice and hopefully it works!

In the event it is non-operational, I found plenty of solar power discussions and have already looked into a few kits!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #18

City: San Diego
Many boats make hot water from the main engines when they are running and the hot water tank stores it for hours.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesEnergy View Post
Hey timb. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes! the anchor is functioning properly however, I only lowered the hook a few meters to test when we purchased. I should definitely send it all the way.

Regarding the through hulls, other than duct tape for a split hose, I only have those wooden plug/cork things tied to each seacock. Recommend any other safety precautions for a leaky through hull? Oh gosh. I better do some research too on where they all are on the boat.
Tie a properly fitting one to each seacock.

And JOIN marinediesel.com ASAP and sign up to your engines' forum. Best 50 bucks you will ever spend on that boat.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Boatdiesel.com
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructions, new owner, owners manual