NEW owner of a 42' Nova Sundeck, (1989)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AriesEnergy

Vessel Name
AriesEnergy
Vessel Make
1985 42' Nova Sundeck
Hi all!

A quick briefing. My wife and I are the proud (and now broke), new owners of a 1989 42 foot Nova Sundeck and we just adore her to bits!

We are San Francisco natives, recent empty nesters and love to be out on the surrounding waters of the Bay Area.

We have gotten AriesEnergy all dolled-up with newly painted teak trim, a new canvas enclosure, her engines serviced and will be commanding her from West Coast Canvas in Stockton to SF.

My question to all of you kind folks is

Does anyone know/have/can share an Owner's Manual?

Other than turning everything on and testing stuff we have no idea how to work anything. (We're also very new to a vessel of this size with many amenities)

Even identifying some of the equipment (she's and old boat) has proven to be difficult.

Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you.

first i would make sure you can deploy the anchor fast and know how to get to the through hulls valves fast .
then any equipment you can't identify post a picture on this site and someone is bound to know here.
and have fun

We have a 1988 Present Sundeck - a very similar boat. You probably won't find an 'owner's manual', rather just a notebook full of individual manuals for various systems on the boat, most of which have been replaced, such as the LORAN manual on our boat :banghead: Good luck.

Hey timb. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes! the anchor is functioning properly however, I only lowered the hook a few meters to test when we purchased. I should definitely send it all the way.

Regarding the through hulls, other than duct tape for a split hose, I only have those wooden plug/cork things tied to each seacock. Recommend any other safety precautions for a leaky through hull? Oh gosh. I better do some research too on where they all are on the boat.

Thank you FoxtrotCharlie (FC). I suppose I'll just continue to turn everything on, press buttons and flip switches and see what happens! lol! Question for you, (it is a silly question) How does one turn on the Generator when out on the water? is there a key or button at the helm or is it a manual start at the generator itself?

Thank you FoxtrotCharlie (FC). I suppose I'll just continue to turn everything on, press buttons and flip switches and see what happens! lol! Question for you, (it is a silly question) How does one turn on the Generator when out on the water? is there a key or button at the helm or is it a manual start at the generator itself?

There should be a control center/panel somewhere around the lower helm for the Gen. You should not have to go the ER to turn it on. And there are no silly questions. I was in your shoes two years ago.

attachment.php

This is the only pic I have of the items above the lower helm (Dont mind the goofy evil seed in the window). Other than the radio, I wasn't 100 percent sure of some of the other equipment. Any assistance in identifying (from left to right would be most appreciated).

I will take better pics and post as soon as I can. Thank you, this newbie is certainly learning loads from you all.

;)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 640
Yep, you've got the usual assortment of old equipment, most of which probably still works, or not. Can't really tell from the photo, but it looks like the panel on the far left may be your gen control panel. But on the other hand, it's usually lower on one of the base cabinets.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll take close up pics of each device and then do a google photo search. Happy boating!

For the through- hulls, you might paint the area immediately around them in a bright yellow, in case you have to send someone else to close them.
Nigel Calders' Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Handbook is as close to an owners' manual as you are likely to find. His Marine Diesel Engines is also a good resource.
Many manuals can be found or collected on the web. It may help to have these stored on a tablet with good battery life.
As you put hands on your equipment, take pics and make notes of make, model, and serial number if possible. An Excel spreadsheet of boat equipment and spare part model numbers and equivalents (for filters, etc) is a good thing, as is a single-place record of maintence and repairs.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new boat! JohnS

I found SOOOO much information in the Library section of this site (top right corner) Manuals, composting toilets, solar panel kits, mechanical tutorials. Just. WOW!

You may not want to lower your anchor and chain into the water the first time. I’d lower it on the deck in front of your slip. That way you can measure the length and see if you have soft line connected inside the anchor locker. Hate to find it short and not secured and lose it all over board.

Yet another great idea! You guys are coming through for the newbies!!!!!

Right on Giggitoni! Hope to see you out on the water sometime! Go Niners!

Generator controls are often part of or next to main AC breaker panel. There will also be a large selector switch that chooses Shore Power or Generator(sometimes Ship's Power) Once the generator is running, you throw this selector switch to Generator setting. It's best to turn off breakers for high draw items before throwing the selector switch. Electric heat or air conditioning, battery charger, microwave would be examples. Check generator oil dipstick before and after for proper level and color (off white/brown indicates water in the oil). Check coolant level as well.

Last edited:
Thank you Swfla. I would rarely use the gen, (we actually use a portable gen for overnights and a propane grill) we're out 1-2 days max and its like 65 degrees all year round here in SF so no heater or A/C, none-the-less, it would be nice to have it functioning. Cold showers are the worst and I would hate to get stranded. I will heed your advice and hopefully it works!

In the event it is non-operational, I found plenty of solar power discussions and have already looked into a few kits!

Many boats make hot water from the main engines when they are running and the hot water tank stores it for hours.

Hey timb. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes! the anchor is functioning properly however, I only lowered the hook a few meters to test when we purchased. I should definitely send it all the way.

Regarding the through hulls, other than duct tape for a split hose, I only have those wooden plug/cork things tied to each seacock. Recommend any other safety precautions for a leaky through hull? Oh gosh. I better do some research too on where they all are on the boat.

Tie a properly fitting one to each seacock.

And JOIN marinediesel.com ASAP and sign up to your engines' forum. Best 50 bucks you will ever spend on that boat.

Last edited:
Boatdiesel.com

Boatdiesel.com

What a dope I YAM! Sorry, yes, of course, BOATdiesel.com. I was happy in my knowledge of my old Lehmans and did not pay a lot of attention to BOATdiesel.com over the years, only signing one a couple of times, but with this screaming animal of a Yanmar with turbo, I was encountering another world and immediately signed back onto BOATdiesel.com five years back when I bought the boat. I have learned tons about this engine since them, and seldom does a week go by without something new being revealed on BOATdiesel.com.

There, maybe I have typed it enough times to keep it straight ...:banghead:

AriesEnergy, it's becoming apparent that you would benefit from some hands on assistance with the boat equipment, operation and basic safety. If you'll be keeping the boat at a marina, talk to the dock master/manager for referrals to someone to show you around the boat in general. Most anyone with several years of boating experience on a few different boats can spend an hour or two on board with you and point out some basics. If you press the the wrong button or switch at the wrong time, you could cause damage or lose your anchor and chain right off the boat in 60 ft of water(they aren't always tied off to the boat). Well worth a $100 or so. You have a great new boat and I truly want to see you continue to have fun as you learn. Have you ever docked a twin engine boat of this type/size before? Lessons may even be in order!! Post more photos from your next visit please.

Go to the hardware store and buy some new wax toilet bowl rings. They are the perfect consistency to seal even good sized holes quickly. Also, they are dirt cheap, like about five bucks or less.

There should be a control center/panel somewhere around the lower helm for the Gen. You should not have to go the ER to turn it on. And there are no silly questions. I was in your shoes two years ago.

AriesEnergy,

My setup on Uniflite 42 is exactly as FoxTrotCharlie described. You want to make sure the AC is switched off before firing up genny. On mine there are two switches side by side turning AC/DC on/off with a red slide that won't let you have access to one side if the other side isn't off first. All on the AC panel. In the attached pic you can see them near the bottom. Top left are my genny start/stop right next to my favorite friend, the blower (I've got gassers).

Hope that helps,

Tak

Attachments

• AC Panel copy.jpg
    AC Panel copy.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 20
attachment.php

This is the only pic I have of the items above the lower helm (Dont mind the goofy evil seed in the window). Other than the radio, I wasn't 100 percent sure of some of the other equipment. Any assistance in identifying (from left to right would be most appreciated).

I will take better pics and post as soon as I can. Thank you, this newbie is certainly learning loads from you all.

;)

Hey that's not your "goofy evil seed", that's your future helmsman practicing his signaling!

Newbie to Newbie

Hi:
Am also a new boat owner in the Bay Area. I have a 1986 Nova Sundeck----good luck. Let's compare notes om our boats.

What do you mean you, " are commanding her from West Coast Canvas?"

Where do you plan to moor in SF Bay? We brought a v similar boat, Ponderosa 42, down from Isleton in 2019. We’re in Emeryville Marina. I invite you to join us in this fine location. We can swap ideas and share in solutions.

Attachments

• 9638DE29-B1AC-48A8-92E3-57019C2AB542.jpg
    9638DE29-B1AC-48A8-92E3-57019C2AB542.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 20
Hey, I found out what all the instruments are, seems I have everything! However, none of it is in any working order cept the compass and the stereo haha. Everything else is just there for vintage nostalgia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom