Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
New to Florida HEAT!

Just hauled La Bella Vita for a few months. I need to do some work, but WOW it get's hot during the day! I plan on painting the bottom myself. I've done it plenty of times. In NY I had a sweatshirt on and long paints. Also, I usually like to wax the hull myself. It gives me the time to really get a good look at the condition, plus I know it gets done correctly. Again, never in this heat and humidity.

I was thinking of setting up a kiddie pool and a solar shower. Get to the yard early AM and as it heats up, just go over to the kiddie pool and get a quick dunking with the shower. Drink plenty of water and just grind thru it all.

Friends have all conceded to paying someone for these services. I calculate a savings of $2000 between paint and wax. I would buy the paint one way or the other. The labor for waxing is $450 and $1700 for 2 coats of ablative. (labor only)

Anyone in the HOT locations do their own work? I guess heart attack should be in the formula? Heat stroke?

Buddy
La Bella Vita
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Florida Heat

If you think its hot now, wait till late August through early September. Thats the peak hurricane season.... it brings new meaning to the words heat and humidity.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
You need to learn a new word:

Siesta!!!

Just got back from being in Sfla, Keys and Bahamas. Mid day sun was unreal. We took lots of siestas. Sfla heat mid day was worst of the three.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I've lived in Florida all my life and you do acclimate to the heat. I do most of my work and try to start very early in the day. Wear a hat, sunscreen, and loose fitting/breathable clothes. Drink plenty of fluids! I was working on the boat yesterday installing a new bow roller and was drenched in sweat. My wife burned the soles of her feet on the decks while helping.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Work at night and the heat will be less but the bugs may be worse.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
For a northerner, Florida in uninhabitable between about May 1 and Nov 1. Work in that heat? forget it. A couple of weeks spent working on my boat there in June was a near death experience.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #7

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
I limit outside projects to a couple of hours in the morning during the summer. Other than that, it’s inside projects with the AC on full tilt. It’s possible to stay cool outside during the day, but it involves a regular size pool and large quantities of gin, tonic, ice and limes.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Indian Harbour Beach
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Rum Runner II
I plan to haul mine out in the winter. Florida is opposite of the Northern states. We stay inside in the AC during June, July and August. The nice weather comes the following 6-7 months. I lived in PA for 66 years and left the cold winters after retirement.
Had enough snow shoveling.
George Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
I was thinking of setting up a kiddie pool and a solar shower. Get to the yard early AM and as it heats up, just go over to the kiddie pool and get a quick dunking with the shower. Drink plenty of water and just grind thru it all.
The kiddie pool thing just increases the local humidity which is very high already. The ambient humidity reduces the cooling effect you get from wetting yourself down. All that's going to happen is you'll find yourself soaking wet the whole time.

I find the heat/humidity in So. FL unpleasant from about mid March to about the end of Oct. I would do major maintenance on my boat during the winter.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #10

City: Kiln,MS
As others have said. Start very early and knock off by noon. Drink lots of fluids and work in the shade as much as possible. Tarps are fairly cheap and help cut down the direct sun. Also fans help if you have power.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Sissies........Try south Texas in August. We have been having a mild summer here till the last week. The apparent temp is over 105F quite often. And yet we work in it.....for about an hour ......and then we spend half an hour in the AC at 79F cooling off. I remember my first summer in Texas was in Dallas (NorthTexas) and I arrived in mid September to a radio announcement that there had just been 90 consecutive days with the actual temp being 100F or more. Back in those days, the 50s, the apparent temp was not measured. But as the Arizonans say, "its just Dry heat"
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Yeah I’m south Texas working outside right now like an idiot at noon. Apparent temp is 100. Taking a break now in the shade and reading TF.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Florida heat

I can assure you.... South Florida and South Texas are pretty much the same. Ive lived in Florida since 1955. Get up early work before the heat kicks in and then again you can get an hour or two in the afternoon after the summer rainshowers pass. You will still sweat like there is no tomorrow, but the heat wont be so bad. I wear a straw lifeguard hat and sweat wicking shirts... the best thing about it is that first beer when youre done.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yeah I’m south Texas working outside right now like an idiot at noon. Apparent temp is 100. Taking a break now in the shade and reading TF.

My condolences. Where are you in south Texas? If its boat work and there are cold Margaritas for break time, I might come help. ....LOL. I am on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay and I wont even sweep the deck today before 6PM
Old 07-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Suck it up buttercup!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
in the afternoon after the summer rainshowers pass.

whats rain?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Many years ago, I lived in Dallas. In the summer I found it too hot by about 8:30 am. Likely worse now.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Many years ago, I lived in Dallas. In the summer I found it too hot by about 8:30 am. Likely worse now.

Its cooler in Dallas now. All that global warming is just Dallas exporting product.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
New to Florida HEAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
My condolences. Where are you in south Texas? If its boat work and there are cold Margaritas for break time, I might come help. ....LOL. I am on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay and I wont even sweep the deck today before 6PM

I’m working on a rent house in Victoria. I wish I was doing boat work— my boat is still in south Florida on Longboat Key. I think it’s just as hot and probably more humid where my boat is. The humidity here is only 57% today. Not too bad when in the shade.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
South FL; Get up at first light, set up your work and begin as the sun rises. Get back inside and A?C space by 1030