Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #101

City: PORT CHARLOTTE
Vessel Name: ANDANTE'
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30...1998
I have done the sanding, painting waxing myself several times on my mainship 30.
Now, I pay someone to do the sanding and I do the painting and waxing. Trying to suit up to sand in this heat is tough to say the least.
ALAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #102
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Buffett didn't make up the name Kinja, or the island for that matter. He adapted a Herman Wouk book, Don't Stop the Carnival.
My wife and I moved to St Thomas for a job in '05. During orientation it was suggested that I get and read "Don't stop the Carnival". St Thomas is the real setting for the book. I can say from first hand experience that it was unbelievable how accurate the book still was at that time in describing the locals and their attitudes.
Don't worry if you are going there on a cruise you will NEVER see the real St Thomas.

So far as doing a bottom job on your boat in summer in S Fla..... We lived in Cape Coral and did our Mainship haulouts in Ft Myers. Get to the boatyard before daylight, have everything set-up and ready to paint as soon as you can see enough to not miss any spots. Dump any pooled water out of Biminis/awnings, mop up and standing water on decks etc that might run over the side and into your fresh paint. If hull is wet from dew or from your ponding removal efforts, give it a quick once over with a windshield squeegee and start rolling. Don't sweat (pun) any small amounts of moisture on the hull. That should give you plenty of time to get a full coat of paint on her, tinker with any thru-hulls, re-install props, etc and then give another coat along the waterline and any corners and be outta there by 11:00am latest! Ample time for the paint to bake before the 3pm thunderstorms. Be sure to secure all your supplies before leaving the yard or you may find the 40-50 mph winds will have redistributed them.
We'd usually go back when the sun set enough to start casting shadows enough to let things begin to cool and replace anodes etc that didn't require a fine eye for detail.
If your boat takes on water from rain be sure to allow for a way for the water to get out (bilge pumps or drain plug). I've seen several boats damaged over the years due to rain water accumulation and ground softening during a haulout.
I agree that Gatorade and other sport drinks can be hard to take. I found that mixing it 1/2-n-1/2 with water makes it much more palatable and with the amount you should be drinking, you'll still get plenty of electrolytes.
PS always start working on the side that will be hit with sunlight first!

If you are looking for bottom paint, I highly recommend SuperShipBottom right there in Ft Myers. I had excellent experiences with it on my 26 Shamrock as well as the 34 Mainship. I have no connection with the company.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #103

City: Lake Suzy Fl
You can buy/rent a cheap awning or large beach umbrella for shade. Work as early as the marina/yard will allow. then after 4:00 till they kick you out. Worst factor this time of year is the lightning storm. Do not work outside if you hear the thunder as over 5 souls have perished so far this 2018 year and have several more rain months to go.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #104
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Excellent point about our afternoon thunder and lightening storms. They are a fact of life in South Florida and are quite dangerous. If you hear the thunder it's time to seek shelter!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #105
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Typical summer day here in the greater San Francisco Bay Area: highs vary from 75 to 96 and lows 61 to 65 depending on location. Typically, hot locations cool down 30 degrees overnight, thanks to low humidity. Walks are best taken in the morning in the warmer areas.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #106
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Tomorrow in Montreal, 88 degrees.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #107
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte
Heat & Humidity

The Worst thing is not following the manufactures recommendations for the products you are using.
high temps or humidity will damage the paint when you put it on. I see many people using products in high humidity and then complain when they don't get any life out of the product!
cabinetman1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #108
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Its cooler in Dallas now. All that global warming is just Dallas exporting product.

Uggg, not this or next week or until????

109 yesterday, 110 projected for today..more of the same coming.

What to do about FL heat, get in condition. Go to North Texas now. Roof a house, pour some concrete and at the same time you can brush up on your Spanglish. Come back to FL. It will seem like heaven.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #109
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Excellent point about our afternoon thunder and lightening storms. They are a fact of life in South Florida and are quite dangerous. If you hear the thunder it's time to seek shelter!

From my time of living in Tampa, it was easier to set my alarm to 3:57 Pm to allow 3 minutes to get inside!
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #110
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Uggg, not this or next week or until????

109 yesterday, 110 projected for today..more of the same coming.

What to do about FL heat, get in condition. Go to North Texas now. Roof a house, pour some concrete and at the same time you can brush up on your Spanglish. Come back to FL. It will seem like heaven.
And that my friends is why the Texas Rangers are building a new domed stadium. Playing baseball when it's 107 degrees, probably more like 130 degrees on the field is challenging. Attending such a game is ...... well, not sure what word would describe.

Meanwhile 2017 was the hottest summer ever for Miami and it did hit 98.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #111
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Typical summer day here in the greater San Francisco Bay Area: highs vary from 75 to 96 and lows 61 to 65 depending on location. Typically, hot locations cool down 30 degrees overnight, thanks to low humidity. Walks are best taken in the morning in the warmer areas.
Typical summer day here in Corpus Christi. Forcast to be 114F Heat Index and that is a degree cooler than average.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #112
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Noseeums are a coastal problem all the way to Jersey....usually associated with heat as they disappear soon as the breeze pops up.
All the way up to CT as well.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #113

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Downsizing
Quote:
My plan for beating the FL heat is quite simple. In a perfect world I would leave SW FL April 1st and arrive at the Lake Superior locks June 15th. Out of Lake Superior mid August and off the Great Lakes by Labor day. Cross the FL line on November 1st. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that's her plan.
That's similar to our plan, Ted, only we plan to leave next March 1st not April 1st. We had originally planned to leave March 1st, 2017, but an unethical boat builder derailed that plan, and then he derailed our March 1st, 2018 embark date, also.

We try very hard to not do any exterior boat work other than cleaning during the summer months here in Floriduh. (The reason I refer to my beloved native state as "Floriduh" is the polluted condition of our waterways that is growing worse every year.)

As others have noted, boat projects are for winter down here. The OP must be in a hurry to get his bottom painting finished, because the SW Floriduh heat is starting to become unbearable for us as we have aged into our 60's. I feel sorry for him.

This graphic below illustrates what it feels like now in July, and we haven't hit the hottest months of Aug/Sept yet.

Pea
Attached Thumbnails
Earth- Florida- Sun.jpg  
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #114
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
What did the boat builder do? Or can it be discussed here?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And that my friends is why the Texas Rangers are building a new domed stadium. Playing baseball when it's 107 degrees, probably more like 130 degrees on the field is challenging. Attending such a game is ...... well, not sure what word would describe.

Meanwhile 2017 was the hottest summer ever for Miami and it did hit 98.
Well, I was in Arlington or eastern Fort Worth from 1986 to 2009. It was just about as hot then as now. Wonder why the Arlington City Leaders and Texas Rangers Management did not note that it was hot in Texas in 1990 when they were planning the building of the beautiful stadium that belonged in ohhh say Chicago? Lotta tax dollars flushed by not doing it right the first time...shame really. I worked on the fiber telco install as a splicer for then Southwestern Bell.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #116
Guru

Dallas was not built AFTER AC was common. I lived there when most houses and businesses were un air conditioned. We survived by slowing down. When you saw someone walking fast in July you knew they were a Yankee. In July you sat on the shaded front porch under the Cottonwood tree, NOT INSIDE, sipped an iced tea and slowly rocked back and forth while gently fanning your face with a Japanese fan and talking politics. Being very careful to keep the politics at a comfortable level so no one got over heated. That last probably would be difficult to do today so Thank God we have air conditioning.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #117
Guru

Soooo, you remember Attic Fans and sleeping next to a window open about 10 inches. Going to bed right after a cool shower...

You know what I miss about all that?

Not a damn thing!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #118
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Soooo, you remember Attic Fans and sleeping next to a window open about 10 inches. Going to bed right after a cool shower...

Not a damn thing!
My grand dad had the exact same story. Life in Miami in the '20s. Air con?? shoot, there wasn't even refrigeration! You do know the power company started as an Ice house at what is now substation #1, in downtown Miami. My mom was one of the first police dispatchers in Miami in the 40's. They just got radios then. My other grand dad was a dry cleaner in Miami in the '20's. They used white gas as the cleaning fluid. My grade school, way up north in Lake Worth, didn't have a/c until the mid '60s. Wow, some stories from those times....
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #119
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Back in the middle 50s hung a sign on the move theater hung a sign, "It's Kool inside".
Walk to the theater in a Michigan summer, you go inside and you thought it was COLD, until you got used to it then, it was just right. Going back outside for the walk home, was punishment and no cooler at home.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:

Not a damn thing!

You forgot "swamp coolers" and moldy leather shoes in the back of the closet.

And the coffee can swamp coolers for the car? Back in the "good old Daze"

Wife would hate to pull the string on the car swamp cooler because she would get a shower until the water blew off. I was driving so it didnt bother me, just the front seat passenger got wet.

And yes, the attic fans. I have one in this house but with AC and electric so cheap, it gets no use at all.

and I agree, dont miss it at all, but do admit I have become a sissy. Not sure I could live that way now. No wonder life expectancy was only 65!!

I am sitting here looking out the window at the bay, outside temp is 114F apparent and inside its a nice cool Aircondioned 79F .

You know, even in july it only costs me $200 a month to stay cool and I will bet that in Wisconsin it costs more than that to keep warm in the winter.....