Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My plan for beating the FL heat is quite simple. In a perfect world I would leave SW FL April 1st and arrive at the Lake Superior locks June 15th. Out of Lake Superior mid August and off the Great Lakes by Labor day. Cross the FL line on November 1st. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that's her plan.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #82
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall63 View Post
I live in southwest Florida, and work outside every day. Like others have said: wear a sombrero ( Walmart $10.00 ) type hat, long sleeved loose fitting fast dry shirts, lots of water and sun block. Eating fruits and veggies for lunch helps a lot in regard to dealing with the heat.

Conall
Hey Conall,
How is your Bruce Roberts boat doing? Have not heard much from you!

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #83
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Now all I have to do is convince my wife that's her plan. Ted
"Honey, I have been thinking it over and I think your suggested summer travel plans are a good idea."

Let us all know how that works for you.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #84

City: Lower Keys, FLA
Vessel Name: Pangero
Vessel Model: Imemsa panga 26'
Do not work in the midday sun. I work mornings and late afternoons. I rig shade and fans and move them as I work. Take plenty of breaks and drink cool water constantly. In the future, plan big jobs for winter time. I visit a Mexican market in Homestead, FL and buy a thin scarf type thing with crystals or something sewn inside. I wet this thing and tie it loosely around my neck. It works great for keeping you cool. All the field hands use them for keeping cool.
Pangero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Florida
My wife and I usually go thru a few change of clothes when we work on the outside of the boat during the high heat months...if we absolutely have to...which most of the time we just deal with inside projects
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #86
Guru

"Only madd dogs and Englishmen go out in the new day sun."
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Highs for the next six days in Miami, 91 91 90 92 91 90

Highs for the next six days in Dallas, 105 107 108 107 107 106
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #88
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm working in Iraq at the moment. Its a bit cool at the moment, at around 47 C (117 F) We've seen 58 C earlier this summer. (136F) but its usually low humidity.
I prefer this to working in the Arctic. You get acclimatised to almost anywhere.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #89
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
.. We've seen 58 C earlier this summer. (136F) but its usually low humidity.
The good news, IF there is good news, is that you can make an airconditioner out of a wet beach towel and a cheap fan.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #90
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Highs for the next six days in Miami, 91 91 90 92 91 90

Highs for the next six days in Dallas, 105 107 108 107 107 106
I don't get it. TX population growth is a bit more than even FL.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #91
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
I don't get it. TX population growth is a bit more than even FL.
Texas growth is fueled on high tech and on major industry. Some major companies have moved, especially from California, companies like Toyota. Texas growth is in spite of climate, Florida's is because of climate. Texas growth is economically generated with business opportunity. Florida isn't business or industry geared but heavily tourism.

You want to talk about a booming city that people love to visit and with the most horrendous climate, just look at Las Vegas. They've been at least 103 since Saturday and every day until September 9 is expected to be over 100 with many as high as 113 and 114. However, much of their winter is still highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #92
Guru

City: Boston Area
NPR has an article about a recent study that heat can affect your mental state as well as your physical one:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...your-brain-too
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #93
Guru

If I get too hot working outside, I go into an air conditioned space drink a glass of room temp water and take a nap.
A nap in the AC is very refreshing.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Before air-conditioning Florida south of Tampa was scarcely populated. There was a reason.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #95

City: Denver, CO
Vessel Name: 2thDoc
Vessel Model: 1986 Carver 3607 ACMY
As big a problem in the early morning & the evening are the no see-ums, particularly if you're on the hard near the water & vegetation & mangroves. Go on line "no see-ums", lots of references to 100% DEET & traps that will keep a 300 sq. ft. to 1/2 acre area clear. Sprays also available for vegetation & hard surfaces. Just got back from a week on the boat at Cape Haze - they were vicious never mind the heat/humidity.
racerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #96
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Noseeums are a coastal problem all the way to Jersey....usually associated with heat as they disappear soon as the breeze pops up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #97
Veteran Member

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: m/v "Ramble On"
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 34
Lots of good advice here. I live on the Sea of Cortez in Sonora, Mexico (where the capitol Hermosillo often exceeds 120 degree F) but it is a dry heat. The humidity combined with the heat is the killer. South Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama coastlines and deep Florida are "oppressive" heat & humidity combinations.

I worked outdoors and had a 42 Grand Banks woodie for 15 years while living in Alabama and Key West. I can share one of my best tips and a small piece of advice.

Get a Camelbak or similar device and fill it with ice, as much as it can hold, then water. Wear it to keep your core cooler and stay hydrated. Refill with ice often.

Second tip is start your day as early as possible and get done by lunch. With Summer we have long days, take advantage and be at it a half hour before official sunrise. I always was able to get 80% of my outdoor work done by 10 AM. -

Also, realize, you will lose weight if you stick to this. Folks will not only be complimenting your boat, they will notice all the weight you have shed and "sooo fast!"

Good luck.
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #98
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
Just hauled La Bella Vita for a few months. I need to do some work, but WOW it get's hot during the day! I plan on painting the bottom myself. I've done it plenty of times. In NY I had a sweatshirt on and long paints. Also, I usually like to wax the hull myself. It gives me the time to really get a good look at the condition, plus I know it gets done correctly. Again, never in this heat and humidity.

I was thinking of setting up a kiddie pool and a solar shower. Get to the yard early AM and as it heats up, just go over to the kiddie pool and get a quick dunking with the shower. Drink plenty of water and just grind thru it all.

Friends have all conceded to paying someone for these services. I calculate a savings of $2000 between paint and wax. I would buy the paint one way or the other. The labor for waxing is $450 and $1700 for 2 coats of ablative. (labor only)

Anyone in the HOT locations do their own work? I guess heart attack should be in the formula? Heat stroke?

Buddy
La Bella Vita
Most Floridians wait till February to do these things! Get yourself a big straw lifeguard hat and a long sleeved shirt that wicks away persperation. Wet yourself down with fresh water frequently and if you can, rent a large shop fan! It will help the water evaporate from your shirt and help keep you cool. With our high humidity, persperation doesn't evaporate without some help ftom a fan!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #99
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
No-See-Ums are easy to control. Just clip a sheet of Bounce fabric softener to your shirt pocket. They will stay away.....but you will smell like a French Whore.....no, I dont know first hand.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #100
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Bounce had never worked for anything but fabric softener for me...

Maybe Bounce fits in like different repellants, certain ones work better for others ....like the original Skin So Soft....never worked for me, but others swear by it.

Kinda like the heat thing, what works for some, doesn't for others.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote