Old 02-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTKNIGHT View Post
Original price was 148K, I offered 130k before survey. Now im thinking 120K .
Curious how you arrived at market value for this boat? Nothing implied - I don't know the market for these, but they are a good looking boat in a nice size range. Seem to have a decent following. I would think resale would be strong, but I don't know what 'strong' is for this boat. What does your market intelligence tell you?

BTW - I agree with other opinions on deferred maintenance. My quick glance through it looked like it had a long list of stuff that had been let go. What was your impression when you were aboard?

Peter
Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Middle River MD
Quote:
As someone said the value is what it's worth to you. I would say that's less money than it may take to get it fixed. At a minimum you are talking pull the shafts and props and have them checked/reconditioned. New engine mounts. New cutlass bearings. New shaft seals.

Three possibilities;

1) The seller may not have known about the engine/shaft issues. If not then the price hasn't been reduced to reflect it.
2) The seller might have thought something was not right but didn't know.
3) The seller has already gotten a quote to fix it or worse yet been trying to fix it and failed. Hoping to sell without fixing.

Place you bets now....

I think most people would correct the motor mount issue if they knew about it prior to listing or running the boat.

I'd probably come back with a lower offer and express my concern that I don't know how engine mounts break or how much they cost to have fixed.
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
...I don't know how common it is, but sometimes getting a shaft coupling off the shaft is damn difficult - hub sometimes has to be cut, sometimes the shaft is buggered. It can take a while to sort out, even with experienced yard work. Cost can add-up. Not sure I'd want to take a simple credit on this one. I might want the yard to do the work, I'd offer to pay the cost of the cutless bearing and new bellows for dripless shaft (assuming PYI).

Peter
The Survey revealed running gear/engine mount defects. They have to be fixed, and with an 800 hour boat, it`s on the seller. Question is, how is it done, ie, seller does it, or buyer gets a price reduction.
I`d be surprised if 10K covers it. Once you start dismantling it`s the strawberry punnet syndrome, deeper you go, worse it gets.
I`ve recently done the rudder bearings, cutlass bearings, props, and shaft repairs, plus reinforcing the rudder rack frame thought to have created the rudder issues. It wasn`t cheap,again on an 800 hour boat. No engine mount issues.
Because of the defects/cost uncertainties I suggest asking the seller to fix it. Then you risk the seller doing a cheap half hearted job. So you have to require the seller to allow inspection checks, details of what is found as it is found, and what is/was done to correct it. I once tried that with a seller who offered to repair,they didn`t like the checks or having to do the work to a specified standard, red lights flashed, I walked.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Price seems high for a 15 year old mainship with "issues"

just saying..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
OK, having gone through the survey, I stand by my very first post on this boat. If this vessel were bought as is and the new owner asked me to deliver it down the bay on a nice day, I'd demur. It's a fixer-upper sure enough, and with the right care will be ok. Hope the price is really good because there will be bunches of previous owner screw-ups yet to find if this survey is any indicator.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Don't buy with your heart, buy with your head. I have see too many folks buy based on their emotions and get stuck with a lemon with no lemonade.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #27
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I have a 2003 390 with similar hours. As I read through your survey and comparing the issues with what I know about my boat I can say that this is a lot of issues for a 15 year old Mainship. I have no issues with cutlass bearing, motor mounts, dripless coupling, soft spots, etc.
things like stress cracks are somewhat normal, ( I have some). Things like carbon monoxide detectors donít last forever. Iíve had to replace 2 of the 3 on my boat.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Your money. What do you think?
Personally, unless I knew there was a pot of gold hidden in the bilge, I'd walk.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Itís the same w houses.
Most people are at least a little dishonest.
Find out what itís worth and make him an offer .. that will make him honest .. or a thing of the past.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #30

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
I absolutely would walk away unless the seller dropped it to a price that made it a steal, something below 100k. There's a TON of things wrong you and your surveyor are unaware of. My concern with what we do know is the possibility of some kind of un-repaired underwater strike.
-Prematurely worn cutlass bearings
-Engine motion visible
-Leaking "dripless" shaft seals
-Prematurely failed engine mounts.

Those things spell a lot of money and time, aside from the laundry list of other items the surveyor found. There are other boats available that people have loved and cared for. My 2 cents: Wait for one.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
  • At the very least, given the cutlass bearings, and engine mounts, along with existing vibrations . . . you probably need to have the shafts removed and inspected for true and wear around cutlass and packing. Worst case: need new shafts. Best case, you pay for inspection and all is well. Get estimate for replacing cutlass bearings and inspection of shafts. Ask for 100%. Figure on eating the cost of new shafts if needed.
  • Soft spot in fly bridge: Get estimate, ask for 100% of estimate. (It'll cost more, but at you're getting part of the way there. Do the work yourself if you are up to it.)
  • Stern thruster, I'd go with half the price of a new one. Then decide if you even need it.
  • Engine mounts: 100% of cost of replacement and realigning engines.
IMHO the rest of the items are housekeeping, and general maintenance. I think you are looking at North of $15k. Only you can decide if the price is worth it. Instead of looking at reductions from asking price, or agreed price, you've received good advice to ask yourself what the boat is worth TO YOU.
One last note. If any of the above items were disclosed in the ad, or by the seller prior to accepting your offer, than you probably won't have much luck getting the owner to reduce price based on survey findings.
Last last note: I would not accept the owner accomplishing the repairs on his own. I would want to control the repair process, AND the standards to which the repairs would be accomplished.

Last Last LAST item: Understand that there are going to be items missed by ANY survey. If they are not LARGE items, go out and purchase a lottery ticket, but it doesn't matter if you win, as you've ALREADY won the survey lottery!
Good luck in your negotiations!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Watching the progression of opinions on this thread decline reminds me of the old Muppets skit with the two old guys in a balcony box over a play or similar

https://youtu.be/NpYEJx7PkWE

For the record, negotiate. Given the unpredictable nature of repairs, if have the owner consider the repairs but by a reputable yard.

Good luck. Nice model boat. Not sure this is the right example. Depends on your aptitude and appetite.

Peter
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #33
Guru

MAYBE get a second survey and compare the two?
Old 02-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Watching the progression of opinions on this thread decline reminds me of the old Muppets skit with the two old guys in a balcony box over a play or similar

https://youtu.be/NpYEJx7PkWE

For the record, negotiate. Given the unpredictable nature of repairs, if have the owner consider the repairs but by a reputable yard.

Good luck. Nice model boat. Not sure this is the right example. Depends on your aptitude and appetite.

Peter
Gives me an idea for the COVID thread!
Old 02-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #35

City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Menzies, i like your response.!
SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Gives me an idea for the COVID thread!
But but but, my boat does not have Covid. It was tested.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #37
Guru

Word of advice, "There will always be another boat, maybe even better."

We all want a boat we can step on board, fill with fuel, food, water and head out. (Plus a wide selection of spare parts and tools)
Yours example is not one of these boats.

I still remember picking up my N46. We went from LI to FL with fuel, water food, 2 screw drivers, pliers, a couple of adjustable wrenches. Ran the Lugger WOT all the way when outside.
Not a lick of trouble.
Oh for the good ol'days
Old 02-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #38

City: Wrangell
Vessel Name: Dreams
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
I absolutely would walk away unless the seller dropped it to a price that made it a steal, something below 100k. There's a TON of things wrong you and your surveyor are unaware of. My concern with what we do know is the possibility of some kind of un-repaired underwater strike.
-Prematurely worn cutlass bearings
-Engine motion visible
-Leaking "dripless" shaft seals
-Prematurely failed engine mounts.

Those things spell a lot of money and time, aside from the laundry list of other items the surveyor found. There are other boats available that people have loved and cared for. My 2 cents: Wait for one.

I agree.
murofrelwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #39
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
On the face of it, the vessel does not appear to have been well cared for. How much did the surveyor NOT find? Are you handy and willing to deal with all that, or do you want a boat ready to go?
Good point. Although I thought I was buying a boat "ready to go" the surveyor missed a few things, some small, some not so small. Safe to assume that there will be some things that were NOT found.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #40

City: Camano Island
Seems to me that the dripping shaft seals, the vibration, the bad motor mounts, and worn cutlass bearings are all a related problem! Bad motor mounts could well have caused the other three problems.
As far as the deck problem goes-- those kinds of problems will ALWAYS TURN OUT TO BE LARGER THAN ANTICIPATED!
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote