Need Northern Lights exhaust manifold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eBay

I replaced mine with stainless steel from HDI Marine. I ordered through eBay and it was great quality and fit!

Attachments

• 3762A64E-8084-48E6-81B5-FCDE54428731.jpg
    3762A64E-8084-48E6-81B5-FCDE54428731.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 18
I replaced mine with stainless steel from HDI Marine. I ordered through eBay and it was great quality and fit!

Thanks, did you get a manifold or the mixing elbow? Could not find info on their website about the manifold like I need but I may have to give them a call on Monday. HDI was suggested earlier. I called so many places already I forgot who I talked to .

Just spoke with HDI and they don't handle/make the manifolds.

I'm thinking a used manifold may be your best bet. Perhaps try larger dealers who might have junkers around?

Did you conclude it's a different manifold from the one being parted out here on TF? I know they were different kw rated generators, but the core motor may be the same.

I can't guarantee my google skills, but it appears that it's a Perkins M25 Engine, and that the manifold crosses to Perkins part number 135606180. That might be easier to find, and it appears to be about 1/2 the price.

Thanks Twistedtree. My mechanic was familiar with the Perkins part and he said it would require some modification of some sort. I wanted to find out exactly what the difference was but could only come up with a simple line drawing of each brand but they do look very similar. I called a Perkins distributer and asked if he could pull up an actual drawing but no luck and furthermore could not easily get hold of a Perkins part either.
As for the smaller generator model we did determine they were different part numbers and again my mech agreed it would not work.

So what is wrong with the original manifold? Second query..

So what is wrong with the original manifold? Second query..

Ski, I did reply, see response #17, a leak was detected. Also, see note to you in #24. If I was near the boat I would probably work on it myself but right now do not have anything more specific.

Pat, understood, I missed post #17.

My experience with these is that the two boots sealing the copper/nickel core to the manifold often leak, but not the cast iron manifold itself.

Really need details on exactly what was found leaking. I just sense the goose chase to find the iron casting may be unnecessary. Wish you could get your hands on the thing!!

Pat, understood, I missed post #17.

My experience with these is that the two boots sealing the copper/nickel core to the manifold often leak, but not the cast iron manifold itself.

Really need details on exactly what was found leaking. I just sense the goose chase to find the iron casting may be unnecessary. Wish you could get your hands on the thing!!

I hear you Ski and I have a skeptical side too. My saving grace here is that the fix was worked out between the PO and the mechanic and is not costing me. When I get some feedback from the mechanic on leak specifics I will try and update the forum. Appreciate your experience and time for replies.

As promised here is the update: Turns out the manifold is not repairable by brazing. The mechanic said he could try a Marine-tex putty patch.
I decided to call Northern Lights corporate HQ and get the true story on the manifold. I was told yes it would be obsolete. They try and find an alternate supplier to fill orders but many times run into legal issues. He said you could put in an order but it would likely take a year and even then you have a 50/50 chance of it being filled.
Further info - I had a rough verbal quote on fabricating a manifold from scratch for approx. $5000.
Based on all of the above I am shopping for a new generator. If I have the correct info Northern Lights no longer offers the 8Kw but does offer a 9Kw unit.

It’s an unfortunate situation, but I think replacing the generator is the best move. And you might be able to part out the one you have.

As promised here is the update: Turns out the manifold is not repairable by brazing. The mechanic said he could try a Marine-tex putty patch.
I decided to call Northern Lights corporate HQ and get the true story on the manifold. I was told yes it would be obsolete. They try and find an alternate supplier to fill orders but many times run into legal issues. He said you could put in an order but it would likely take a year and even then you have a 50/50 chance of it being filled.
Further info - I had a rough verbal quote on fabricating a manifold from scratch for approx. $5000.
Based on all of the above I am shopping for a new generator. If I have the correct info Northern Lights no longer offers the 8Kw but does offer a 9Kw unit.

Thanks for the generator update.
I have a NorthernLights 8kw model 753W.
Did you get word as to whether they are discontinuing all parts for your genset or just the manifold?

Thanks for the generator update.
I have a NorthernLights 8kw model 753W.
Did you get word as to whether they are discontinuing all parts for your genset or just the manifold?

ORIF, he did not offer any insight to other parts so I can't say. My guess is that they only had an issue with this one particular supplier.

I have this part for sale

Im parting out my old M753. I have this manifold that im going to be selling after i bead blast and then paint it. Are you interested in it?

Im parting out my old M753. I have this manifold that im going to be selling after i bead blast and then paint it. Are you interested in it?

Thanks so much for the offer, however I did end up purchasing a new Northern Lights 9Kw back in May.

Do you still have this part? Need an exhaust manifold/expansion tank NL-135606130

Back
Top Bottom