Old 04-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. LM. "I'm more concerned about foot tracks on the white. " https://www.fisheriessupply.com/lewmar-treadmaster
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Just make a new one in Teak. Buy a nice new 60+ tooth carbide blade, though; the multiple cross cuts will need to be clean and precise w/o chips.

Alternatives to actually expecting each half lap to fit perfectly include grooving or routing at 90deg from opposite faces. The intersecting grooves would cause a drain hole at each crossing. The wood that spans the whole width (or length) would be doing all the work of carrying your weight and cracking along the grain would best be controlled by 'breadboarding' across the end grain.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks Allan: How stiff is the 1"? The grate I have now is 15/16". The longest dimension is 24".
If stiffness / sag is a concern instead of going thicker why not add a rubber bumper or two or three on the bottom(w SS screws) to cut the span? Drainage still not hampered.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #24

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Use Starboard and support to the pan/hull if needed. 1"T and put whatever hole or slot pattern is easiest for you. Clean with as nasty as stuff as you want. It will still be their when your great grand children get the boat and ask "what is that stuff?"
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I wonder if a Florida boat salvage place would an exact replacement or one that could be easily modified to fit? Worth a shot maybe.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I wonder if a Florida boat salvage place would an exact replacement or one that could be easily modified to fit? Worth a shot maybe.
That is an option but I guess the word is "easily" modified. We looked in Fort Pierce at Marine Connection Liquidators. I could buy teak grating for ~$100. We'll look at Sailors Exchange in St Augustine when we go through next month.

We have a good friend who has a wood working shop and I'll talk to him and see what his thoughts are.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Sailor's Exchange does have teak grating, I also would like to replace my missing shower grate and was looking. The problem I saw with the pre-made grating is creating the border. I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a problem if one had a basic woodworking shop. I don't think a Fein tool, as versatile as that is- quite cuts it.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #28

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
After 30 years our teak shower grate needs to be replaced. The grate now is about 15/16" thick and ~2' x 2'. Suggestions? Teak? Starboard? Thickness?
In a completely unrelated thread a mention was made of www.buckwoodcraft.com and I saw Shower Grates.

So there ya go!

Marty.........................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
In a completely unrelated thread a mention was made of www.buckwoodcraft.com and I saw Shower Grates.

So there ya go!

Thanks! Here's our grate! I sent an email asking for a quote.

Custom King Starboard Cockpit & Shower Grates

You have like this place.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post

So there ya go!

Perfect! I've had John at Buckwoodcraft make some custom parts for me. Great to deal with and excellent quality..
Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Why does it need to be replaced? How about sanding it and refinishing it? Running it through a planer?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Why does it need to be replaced? How about sanding it and refinishing it? Running it through a planer?
Two of the slats are cracked. I screwed a cleat on the bottom to keep them from breaking all the way through (left side of photo). I've also repaired a few areas of rot where the grate meets the wide perimiter. I could keep doing repairs but I think it's time to replace it.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Perfect! I've had John at Buckwoodcraft make some custom parts for me. Great to deal with and excellent quality..
That's good to hear!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! Here's our grate! I sent an email asking for a quote.

I received a quote back for one inch within 2 hours from Buck Woodcraft. I later asked for a quote for 3/4".

Hi Larry,

Thanks much for your inquiry.

Based on the photo you sent along, your 2 longest dimensions appear to be approximately 24” each. Given those measurements, and fabricating your grate out of 1” thick King Starboard Anti Skid, your cost will be $388.13 + shipping via UPS Ground to zip 32110 + Florida sales tax. Our online shipping calculator estimates the shipping cost at $57 and change, which seems high. If the actual shipping cost is less, we’ll charge less.

Production typically requires 10 – 15 business days from the time we receive the order.

I then asked about 3/4" material.

Hi Larry,

The shower grate would be $313.00 out of ¾” AS. Plus Shipping, shipping should be a little less because weight will be a little less.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #35
TF Site Team

I asked for a quote from Custom Teak Marine Woodwork. Six days to get the quote back.

Custom Teak Marine Woodwork by Custom Teak Marine, Inc

Hello Larry,

Your inquiry is most appreciated.

Solid Teak Grate – 1” T x 24” W x 24” L (per clients template):
·Materials of construction will be solid First European Quality (FEQ) Teak Lumber 1” Thick.
·Borders are minimum 2” W x 1” T Solid Teak and are assembled via mortise and tenon joinery and waterproof glue.
·The longitudinal and perpendicular cross slats are Solid Teak 1” square with notches opposite and opposing at 1” intervals (double crown) so that when assembled will form a 1” thick assembly.
·The assembled notched slats are joined to the borders via mortise and tenon joinery and waterproof glue.
·The assembled grate is finish sanded and cleaned.
·A coating of “Penofin – Exterior Hardwood Formula” penetrating oil is applied to the final assembly.
Pricing:
Solid Teak Grate per the Above ------------------------------------------$480.00
FL Sales Tax ---------------------------------------------------------------------$ 33.60
Shipping & Packaging via UPS Ground ----------------------------------$ 86.00
Total Project -------------------------------------------------------------------$599.60
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am really surprised the starboard quotes were that high. Was he making a grate, or simply a floor with holes? If the quote was for a grate, I would suggest getting a quote for just a piece of starboard cut to size with a bunch of camfered holes drilled in it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #37

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
US Plastics sells 1" starboard in a 48"x48" sheet for $205 so I am not really surprised the cost is that high. they sell the 3/4" sheet, same size, for $169. I do not know if this the the exact same material Buckwood uses but I would think the raw materials would be in the same price range. I am sure they get better prices since thy buy in larger quantity but then the labor involved in making that grate is not trivial either. I guess I see that pricing as about what I would expect since I could not make that nice a finished product for much less. Just some thoughts.

Marty....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Here's what their web site says.

"Grates are precision-cut on our CNC machine, with 3/4" diameter holes evenly spaced throughout the surface area. Unless otherwise specified all exposed edges are give a 1/8" radius.

Unless you specify otherwise, we add drainage channels to the reverse side of your grate."

I'm still going to talk to my wood working friend but I'm thinking that this is not just apiece of starboard with some holes drilled in it.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'd consider CPES epoxy then a nice coat of thicker epoxy to preserve what you have before considering replacement. It might be able to strengthen and beautify the teak with minimal investment of time or treasure, alleviating the need for replacement.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'd consider CPES epoxy then a nice coat of thicker epoxy to preserve what you have before considering replacement. It might be able to strengthen and beautify the teak with minimal investment of time or treasure, alleviating the need for replacement.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've done the CPES twice. It looks like the grate is flexing allowing moisture in at the joints of the grate. Since we use the shower daily, the grate never really has time to dry out. When I've renewed the finish, every couple of years, I let it dry completely but the finish, over time, cracks at the joints with use. You can see one of the repairs where moisture got under the finish (upper left). It worked well but I'm afraid I have some soft spots in areas I can't see plus I suspect the dark areas under the finish will fail with time. Maybe if I lost a few pounds the grate wouldn't flex?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0010.jpg