Old 03-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Vessel Model: 38.5 Aft Cabin Cruisers
Need for Halon or Fire Bouy System on Diesels

I own a Cruisers Yacht 3850 and it has two Caterpillar diesel engines. My question for the group is do I need a Halon or Fire Bouy fire suppressant system onboard??
Drummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
IMO, yes. Fires aboard do happen, though the risk is somewhat less with diesels.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Need or should have? Yes, I think one should have an automatic fire suppression system aboard any vessel with an enclosed engine space. A fully functional system includes automatic engine and generator shut down and an override re-start capability. t down. I once installed a fire suppression bottle in my engine room but did not have the engine shut down. However, I did install a release alarm at both the steering stations to let me know I should immediately shut down. The reason you want to shut down is because the engines can quickly suck out enough of the fire suppression agent and fresh air in to make it ineffective. Sources of fires in boats are frequently something other than the engines and often while not underway; so an automated system is protecting you all the time.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Halon is obsolete but there are good replacements

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Vessel Model: 38.5 Aft Cabin Cruisers
Thank you

Thank you for the reply I think I will add that system to my boat.
Drummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer48 View Post
Thank you for the reply I think I will add that system to my boat.
Read up on the control box and the systems that could / should be shut down.
In addition to the ones rgano mentioned shut fown of any blowers should be included. Mine also cuts the alternator field wire so there is no output from the alt.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
I know that was one of the things they wanted to know about when I was getting insurance and talking to the rep on the phone. I have two fire suppression systems (Fireboy, whatever that is, Xintex? and the older CO2 system), but I wondered if I would have got insurance from them, without one.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Halon is obsolete but there are good replacements

pete
It has been a while since I read up on the problems with Halon, but apparently it works better than any replacement per given volume. The big issue was environmental rather than obsolescence per se. Newer replacement often have bigger bottles when directly replacing the Halon bottle. When I went to get my Halon bottle tested, the fire service pulled the Halon out, pressure tested the bottle, and replaced the Halon. Halon was still in the bottle in 2015 when I sold the boat. It is illegal to place Halon into a bottle it did not come out of. Fire service said to never get rid of the Halon unless forced to because it is the best fire suppression agent out there. I don't even know what agent I have in my present boat's bottle, probably something that is not Halon and will be illegal in about five more minutes.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Some of the non-Halon replacements are safer for spaces that might have a human in them, however. Different agents have different spreads between the concentration required to extinguish a fire and what will kill a human. If choosing a new system, I'd factor that in to the choice just in case the system ever dumps with a person in the engine room.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #10

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
I just installed two fire boys with the automatic shut down in my boat. For me it was a must have safety item. [IMG]fireboy[/IMG]
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
It has been a while since I read up on the problems with Halon, but apparently it works better than any replacement per given volume. The big issue was environmental rather than obsolescence per se. Newer replacement often have bigger bottles when directly replacing the Halon bottle. When I went to get my Halon bottle tested, the fire service pulled the Halon out, pressure tested the bottle, and replaced the Halon. Halon was still in the bottle in 2015 when I sold the boat. It is illegal to place Halon into a bottle it did not come out of. Fire service said to never get rid of the Halon unless forced to because it is the best fire suppression agent out there. I don't even know what agent I have in my present boat's bottle, probably something that is not Halon and will be illegal in about five more minutes.
I don’t believe it is illegal to put halon in a bottle it didn’t come out of. It is illegal to manufacture more halon but recycled halon can and is being used to service existing halon bottles that need recharging. You can’t buy new halon systems but as said there are replacement chemicals that are being sold in new systems.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #12
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
If it works well, it's illegal. Just like bottom paint, wood preserver, and some paints & solvents.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Fort Lauderdale
I have been involved in a couple fires at sea, with diesel engines. IMO every engine room should have a fixed suppression system...
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If it works well, it's illegal. Just like bottom paint, wood preserver, and some paints & solvents.

And you can put asbestos there two. Irreplaceable as a top drawer insulator.

Gas is worse and it's still legal.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 45
If there is any doubt about the capacity of diesel to cause engine room fires, do a web search of HMAS Westralia.
And never mind diesel, I am personally aware of a case where a leak of transmission fluid burned a pick up truck down to the rims.
Engine room fire suppression system? No brainer.
Inbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Fire at sea is one of the worst scenarios to end up in. And if it happens, 5 miles off shore is "at sea". Every second can make a difference. I have my setup. Both engine rooms and generator room. All it takes is a leak in a fuel line and a hot manifold. The ignition temp of diesel is relatively low. Plus yes, the insurance liked it.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"Engine room fire suppression system? No brainer."

The key word in this comment is SYSTEM.

Just sticking a bottle or two in the Engine space is not a system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #18

City: Waverly, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Yes i just had the same done last year, as long as you can get it serviced, id does the job!
USCG 50T Master
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #19

City: Waverly, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
And refrigerants!
USCG 50T Master
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #20
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
The newer extinguishing agents aren't as effective as Halon by weight. But as long as you use the right amount of the stuff, they do an equally good job in most situations. So unless weight and bottle size is a critical limitation, they make perfectly good replacements.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire bouy, fire suppressant systems, halon