Old 04-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #41
Guru

City: Deltaville
The vast majority of recreational diesel vessels I inspect are equipped with fixed fire systems.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #42
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
An interesting idea that is used in airplanes, but I've never seen in a boat is this: a second slow-release bottle to assist in maintaining adequate agent concentration. So if the system triggers, the first bottle dumps, then either right away or after a few minute delay, the second bottle starts to release and slowly dumps over the course of 10 - 15 minutes.

A system like that would ensure the extinguishing agent concentration stays high enough for longer (to allow things to cool and avoid re-ignition), especially on boats where you can't easily and automatically seal off all engine room vents.

Another thought is whether the typical single point of sensing systems are adequate. On my boat, the halon tank sits on the aft engine room bulkhead between the engines. So an engine fire would trip it pretty readily. But a fire caused by the generator, water heater, or something else at the other end of the engine room (12-ish feet away) would take much longer to get enough heat to the bottle to cause a discharge. By the time it goes off in that case, it might be too late to be useful.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #43
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
For ABYC compliance, an auto-shut down is required. The cu ft of the space should be confirmed, I do this routinely and periodically find under and over sized bottles. A proper inspection includes weighing the cylinder and testing the manual discharge cable (also an ABYC requirement) and demonstrating the auto shut down system.
Is there a performance problem with oversized bottles?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #44
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
Is there a performance problem with oversized bottles?
No but there is a safety issue. If the agent is non-toxic, such as FM200, it is only non-toxic at the designed concentration, exceed that and it could become lethal.

Engine rooms are considered normally unoccupied spaces, so there is no mandate in the US for non-toxic agents, however, toxic agents cannot be used on CE compliant vessels.

I spec non-toxic clean agents for engine rooms, even if not mandated. I spend a lot of time in engine rooms, as do many of my clients, I want that protection in that space.

Tags
fire bouy, fire suppressant systems, halon