Need a Cyl Head for Old Kohler Genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
The (formerly) trusty Kohler 7.5R needs a cylinder head. My previous supplier of antique Kohler parts in North Carolina seems to have dried up. Does anyone know of potential parts sources I can check out?

Ess-Kay in upstate NY is looking for me, but no joy and not optimistic. I may be beating a dead horse, but I’m trying to keep the old girl’s (76 Viking) systems as original as possible.

Any ideas appreciated. I've already considered and rejected "junk it and get a new one."

If you haven't already try Boat diesel and Smokstak. Smokstak has been enormously helpful keeping an ancient Onan thumping along.

Lots of engine parts on ebay from people parting out engines.

Can you post a picture of the genset? Or, preferably, the engine's serial number or info plate?

Seeing that your boat is from 1976 and knowing that it is a Kohler 7.5k, there is an extremely good chance that engine is a Perkins 4.107. If that's the case, parts availability won't be a problem.

Also, why do you need a new head? Unless something really bad happened to the casting, all of the valve seals, push rods, tappets, etc, can be had, new and used.

This serial number ID guide might be of help:
--
https://www.parts4engines.com/engine-no-location/#:~:text=Perkins 4.108 and 4.107

If it is a 4.107 my first two calls would be to Trans-Atlantic Diesel in Virginia and S &W Diesel in Wilmkngton, CA. Both know the 3ngine inside and out and have or can get parts, including Perkins new, after-market new, and from their own boneyards. Parts4Engines has some parts at good prices, but doesn't provide the tech support that TAD ir S&W do, nit even close.

If this is an old gas Kohler like I'm thinking it is, check around in some of the Chris Craft groups and forums. Chris Craft used a ton of those Kohlers in the 60s and 70s, so someone there may have a lead on parts.

Ebay is also a good place to look. It's amazing what pops up on there sometimes.

If this is an old gas Kohler like I'm thinking it is, check around in some of the Chris Craft groups and forums. Chris Craft used a ton of those Kohlers in the 60s and 70s, so someone there may have a lead on parts.

Ebay is also a good place to look. It's amazing what pops up on there sometimes.

Oh, yeah. I forget about gasoline!

Find that tag or number. Still likely to be a common engine. Kohler didn't make the engines, even the gas ones.

First, appreciate the help. The engine is the venerable L654EP gasser.

CC forum a great idea. I'm on SmokStak with help request. I'll try Ebay and BD.

Thanks again!

First, appreciate the help. The engine is the venerable L654EP gasser.

CC forum a great idea. I'm on SmokStak with help request. I'll try Ebay and BD.

Thanks again!

Smokstak is definitely another good source of info for old equipment like that.

Shoot. I think that is an old Continental engine. In any case, it wasn't used in much beyond gensets. What to say? Keep up the hunt! As you observed, it was a venerable powerplant on that application. Good luck!

Shoot. I think that is an old Continental engine. In any case, it wasn't used in much beyond gensets. What to say? Keep up the hunt! As you observed, it was a venerable powerplant on that application. Good luck!

Actually Continental Motors supplied the small engines for different stationary applications like small portable welders, pumps, winches,
genset, you name it. But the military was their biggest market.

Actually Continental Motors supplied the small engines for different stationary applications like small portable welders, pumps, winches,
genset, you name it. But the military was their biggest market.

Yeah. But I think that one was just gensets. But a lot of them. And, heck, maybe it was used in some other application. So, hopefully the OP gets lucky one way or another!

Got a response from a Smokstak guy who has a complete engine minus magneto. Part number match! Waiting, fingers crossed, for him to get back with me. It occurs to me that I should buy the whole engine if possible for spares.

Koehler cylinder head

I’m not the best at communicating via computer first and foremost. I have a cylinder head from a 7.5 4cyl flathead generator. If I’m allowed to share by phone number please let me know and I’ll gladly provide it .
Thank you, Maddox

Maddox - really appreciate your response. PM'd you. You'll see it in your login on the upper right of the TF page you're viewing. I'm something of a dinosaur myself - if you're having difficulty - try the "How to use the forum" on the initial page. or, just ask. TFrs are a friendly bunch.

I believe I have a cylinder head on the way from the wilds of the Missouri Ozarks at this time. We'll see. Thanks again.

Bill

Head arrived yesterday - visually appears good. The seller built a small wooden crate to protect it. Heck of a guy! Looks like the old girl will stay original.

Thanks again for the assist from y'all.

Don’t ya just love it! Glad you got what you needed. I have had these old Kohler generators and have a few parts laying around. Mag, carburetor, governor. Head.6.5 and 7.5 armatures, and base tray they mount on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom