Names of good shipwrights in Bellingham/LaConner Washington area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaDreaming

Veteran Member
I am looking for the name of a good shipwright - fiberglass person in the Bellingham/LaConner area of Washington. I am at the pre-purchase state on a Taiwan built trawler, with a clear 'leak' and am looking for someone who could come look and give me a fair assessment of the cost for repairs. Any leads appreciated!

:thumb:

The best guy in the area is probably Matt Harris of Bellingham, he is a very busy surveyor, however he might be able to squeeze in a quick assessment of a problem. Worth a call maybe. He can be found on line. Or he might be good for a recommendation if he cant do it.

If you are looking for a good yard, I recommend Lattitude Marine in La Conner. They did an excellent job on my Cheoy Lee 46' LRC last fall, including a fiberglass repair on the bow, which was a rather large, 2'x4' area.

Another excellent yard is La Conner Maritime. Lots of folks I cruise with use them regularly for all kinds of work.

I just got out of Latitude about 10 days ago! It has grown a lot since I worked there. Originally it was Skagit Bay Boatyard, then sold to another guy who bought the yard just to fix up his boat (Sovereign Marine), then sold it to the current owners. I was there for the first haulout of the 100 ton lift. It was quite the stone age operation back then, (1989), the lift ran on steel wheels in tracks and it took all day to haul, move and block 1-2 boats! Things move a lot faster now with them using the lift primarily to just get the boat out of the water, then they slide one of several short hop trailers under it and go block it up. I was telling the yard guys how good they have it now. Not sure they believed me.

Thanks for the suggestions ... she is currently on the hard in the LaConner Maritime docks area, so getting someone to take a look and give a quote there would be easy. I will also call Latitude and see what they say. Appreciate the suggestions!

BTW, its a small thing maybe but the term shipwright means a wood guy really. I was one for nearly 30 years, and a glass guy is well, a glass guy, not a shipwright. Now a good surveyor like Matt Harris knows both very well and has done both and is sort of the guru around here for TT boats. Its just that if I was looking for someone to find and assess a leak in a TT, I wouldn't be looking for a shipwright. With a wood boat you look for the leak IN the water, not out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom