Is this mould or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We’re seeing tiny filaments of something in various locations on the interior teak paneling, mostly in the arched ceilings of the companionways. It seems to mostly rub off but may be leaving marks in the almost microscopic grooves of the paneling. I’m virtually certain there is no pathway for water to get in behind these locations, but am systematically caulking any exterior seams that could be related. I’ve bought a dehumidifier, assuming this is related to interior moisture—first indication when I measured recently was 70% humidity inside.

Does this look familiar to anyone and, if so, how did you deal with it?

Attachments

• 6339A7C4-95FB-414B-80EF-8A10CCE92A7B.jpg
    6339A7C4-95FB-414B-80EF-8A10CCE92A7B.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 19
Angus this looks like mold. We occasionally had it in our hanging lockers, sounds and looks the same, wipes off, white powder. ours would happen during off use months in the winter.
When you remove it use a damp clothe as the powder from it is mold spores, we tried using Mold Control liquid but it still re-appeared occasionally. I think a good non harsh antiseptic liquid in the wipe would work.

Is this mold or what?

Wipe it down with undiluted white vinegar and see what happens in a couple days.

70% humidity and warm temperatures will grow mold. The dehumidifier will prevent a reoccurrence. Try to get the humidity into the 45% range.

Thanks, folks. Will test some vinegar in an inconspicuous spot and fire up the dehumidifier.

Back
Top Bottom