Molding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IntoTheBlue

Vessel Name
Into The Blue
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 43
The fit and finish of my Mainship Pilot 43 was a never a strong point of the boat. Yet, the choice of the materials used was good. So, the molding is attractive and tasteful, but the carpentry was terrible. Almost 20 years later now, the molding really needs maintenance and as it was cut so badly when installed I would like to replace it.

My question is for the group- do you know a company who makes custom molding? If so, any recommendations?

Actually if you been through this process, any tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

There is probably a mill somewhere near you that will make custom molding. You will need to take a sacrificial sample. We had some custom molding for our house a couple of years ago when the flooring installers suddenly got stupid and cut the original molding down. Since it was custom to begin with I had to go custom in oredr to match it. They had to make a cutter head so there was a charge for that.

To Comodave's point...

I recently took a 1" sample of some fairly detailed molding to a local mill/lumberyard (Weiss Hardwoods, Largo, FL) and they matched the profile "perfectly".

I had it done in Sapele vs North American Mahogany because I've found it to match better. I think the new genuine Mahogany is just different than it was years ago.

I couldn't match the finish super well as the old finish had clouded and become more opaque over the years as well as gotten thicker with maintenance coats.

Attached is a picture of the old and new butted together where a piece was missing at the location of an earlier radio installation. Most of the reason the joint is as visible as it is is that cut the original "square" with a vibrating saw in place on the wall.

For the record I dont normally do butt joints like this with molding, never mind in an obvious place. But, I decided to do this one piece this way because it was convenient and I wanted to see how well the pieces matched, really.

Attachments

• 20220919_164640.jpg
    20220919_164640.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220919_164636.jpg
    20220919_164636.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220919_164631.jpg
    20220919_164631.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220919_164625.jpg
    20220919_164625.jpg