moisture content of teak core

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albin43

Vessel Make
Albin 43 Trawler
i have a large area with 15% moisture content on my decks. it feels as if there is still a ok bond and no squishy feeling. I tap on it with a hammer and it still produces and sharp sound. areas over 15% I am replacing. the core is solid teak. what im asking is in your opinion am i safe leaving the areas with 15% moisture in the decks? will that harm my resale value?

-- Edited by albin43 on Friday 26th of March 2010 01:58:21 PM

Albin, I'm sure there is a lot more than 15% moisture trapped deep under the extra fibreglass, marine ply stiffening, then further layers of glass cloth/resin laid over my decks when the old leaky teak decks were replaced before I bought her, but there is no sign of it whatsoever, unless I drill a core out for a deck filler or similar, so my advice - don't worry about it, as long as there is nothing leaking inside. Replacing internal teak, stained/damaged from before the deck restoration - now that's another whole project - best prevented. That where to spend the money - removing old teak and sealing that deck, but from what you say, it's probably not worth it ripping out all the core. Just get that top deck surface waterproof and non-slip.

The best is to learn how to maintain and repair a teak deck.* Most damage is not the fault of the teak deck by the owner has they did not know what to look for and repair.* Our teak deck in the summer will shirk ¼ which calking to pull away and the fasten to loosen.* So the summer when the deck is bone dry is the time to repair.* In the winter the teak will swell back up.* I also prefer to seal the deck, not oil it, as oil does not last long, but sealing will last a year, so every year you have to maintain and seal the deck.* There is nothing wrong with teak decks, if maintained properly.

I would expect most things at this time of year will have a high moisture reading?* I mean it just turn SPRING , but it feels like winter.

No Phil, I removed my teak decks. My core is teak also. Solid wood not plywood

Back
Top Bottom