Old 02-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

City: Portland
Vessel Name: 42
Vessel Model: Ocean Marine
Mix or Match on the boat's bum?

In the minor refit of my new-to-me boat, I'm getting to the point where I need to think about finishing the bottom.

I have no brand or type loyalty, just want good stuff to keep the growth down and to avoid problems.

Max speed 9 knots, to be kept in the Columbia River for the first year or two, with occasional 'vacations and long weekends' out into salt water. The biggest problem we have on the river is slime, that's why I was looking at the 'SR' type paint.

After that we plan to cruise the PNW for one full 'warm season' and then head south to the Sea of Cortez and other such places where we can stay perpetually warm and have essentially 12-hours of daylight every day of the year.

The only time we plan for the boat to be out of the water in the next 10-years is for maintenance that can't practically be done in water and hopefully for no more than a couple days at a go.

For the barrier coat the nice gent helping me do the bottom work has suggested 'Sea Hawk Tough Stuff' followed with a hard antifouling paint. He's also letting me buy at his price at West Marine. So off to West Marine to get schooled.

This is probably the 4th time I've asked about bottom paint at various chandleries. I gotta say the of depth practical knowledge at the retail level seems really shallow, getting a straight answer is tough.

The guy at West Marine was nice enough to give me the Pettit rep's number. Cool! I called the rep from Pettit and he seems pretty knowledgeable, double cool!

I asked about the difference between Trinidad SR and Trinidad Pro, he said "one label is color, the other is black and white". It's just a marketing thing, nothing more, same paint inside.

The rep said given my plan, starting with the hard paint is a really good idea, but be ready to use an ablative when we head south, and then he spouted the company line that when mixing brands of coatings, "If there's a problem, the 'conversation' is going be more complicated. Pettit paints haven't been tested on Sea Hawk's primers/barrier coats."

I don't know how big a deal that really is, what do you think? Does mixing brands matter or not?
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
If there's any question about the paints' ability to work with each other, why both mixing brands? Why not simply stay with one brand?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would stay with one brand. If you have a problem then you only have one vendor to go to. If you mix brands then they will point fingers at the other vendor and you will be stuck in the middle. I like Interlux but that is just my opinion. I have used it on probably 12 or more boats. Always had great support from them. What ever brand you use, follow the directions religiously.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #4

City: Portland
Vessel Name: 42
Vessel Model: Ocean Marine
Thanks
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I would stay with pone brand and Pettit is probably as good as you will find.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Stick with the one brand. I have used Pettit Trinidad and Sea Hawk Shark skin. Both are hard bottom paints. I prefer Pettit but the difference is very small between the two brands.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote