Old 01-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #1

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
Mission Creep (just venting)

I began upgrades once I hauled the boat this past October. I have been a bit surprised how long everything takes mainly because whatever project I start keeps growing. Removing windows turned into repairing both the fiberglass and teak veneer around the windows. Sanding the outside of the salon turned into removing and patching all the useless stuff PO's have added over the last 30 years. Removing the trim tabs showed me how much pain was on the bottom so I had it blasted. Now I get to barrier coat and paint. To save money on the blasting I said I would clean up the sand. I am halfway through the clean up and I have shoveled 3 tractor buckets full of wet sand. Tonight I removed the radar mast for refinishing and it turned into rot repair where the steaming light mounts. However when I am finished it will done right and look great.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I feel your pain! My refit took 18 months on the hard. Lots of unexpected repairs.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
With a boat, if you start one project, you have really started five.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
My to-do list is currently 120 items long. It started at 17. I can sit in the salon and do nothing and the list would continue to grow.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Ok, maybe you have your expectations set improperly. Any boat project turns into a bucket of crap. I fully expect that to happen and I am rarely disappointed. I try to make contingency plans but as some general said about a battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired. The same thing is basically true with boat repairs, the plan is only good until you remove the first screw or fitting or whatever. Then there will be a new plan. Enjoy!
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Yup! I've been going through the electrical system on our boat for the 6 months we've owned her. Every time I go to do something simple I find four or five stupid things that I need to remove and/or re-do. Today I found the (non-functioning) wiper motor grounds are ganged together by means of a bolt and some electrical tape. Every day I'm there I end up with a pile of 50-100' of cable it seems. Previous owners' were quite liberal with drills, hole saws, and jigsaws so my helm station is now pockmarked with holes. I can't imagine what it would cost to have someone else do all this stuff, so it's a good thing I have the time and love doing it.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #7

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
My marine electrician is rewiring the entire boat. Why? Well for 30 years PO have cut lots of wires and run new ones, Used house wire, Tied wires together then used liquid tape and the list goes on. He also has taken miles of wires out. He is also replacing my auto pilot, heat/ ac unit and adding Jet Thrusters. He made a new electrical panel and is making a new helm station due to multiple holes that can't be covered and still look decent. I will let you know the final cost when it is done. His quote for just the electrical was 18-20K. BIG Ouch yes but I didn't even know where to begin doing it myself. Every circuit I dealt with had multiple issues. I own a business and work full time, all I can do is put in a few hours every night and as much time as I can on weekends. Mission creep on cosmetics has been bad I can't imagine what the electrical would be like.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
"Even as we are sitting here having a drink, with the boat safely tied to the dock........something is breaking."
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
"Even as we are sitting here having a drink, with the boat safely tied to the dock........something is breaking."
Pretty much true.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote