Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Metric chicago/binding/barrel bolts?

I've need for an M4 binding post bolt pair for the shower latch in the master stateroom head. This being an M4 metric machine thread screw, with a slotted head on both sides. These hold the latch onto the door frame.

The term for them seems to span a range, Chicago, cabinet, binding post, sex, furniture, etc.

The head on these is oval, and is counter-sunk into the latch faceplate. I could potentially get by with a flat head, but it'd still have to be counter-sunk, as truss or rounded would sit proud on the faceplate. That wouldn't make as centered a connection and fingers would drag on them. I mean, I could make do if I have to, but would prefer a proper replacement.

The existing bolt doesn't seem like quite the right solution, as the bullet half (the female threaded side) seems too short and requires not torquing the male screw too tight, else it squeezes the latch enough to make it stiff to turn. I plan on using loctite on it to help keep it tight in the future. The proper setup for a binding post like this is to have the barrel quite close to the total width, with a short screw into it. This to snug the faceplate on to the frame without crushing it enough to impair turning.

I checked on McMaster, Grainger, Bolt Depot and google and came up empty. Most sources I've checked have zero options for metric threads for this.

I could probably use a #8-32, but #10 would not fit through the holes on the faceplates (nor would the head counter-sink). But finding stainless, oval head, #8 is likewise difficult.

Searches online haven't led me to a source for them. Any suggested suppliers?
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Is that a two part screw and extended socket nut arrangement?

Try searching for threaded barrel nuts.

https://alltoolandsupply.com/product...a0c11ff0fa7ec9
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
https://www.amazon.com/Barrel-26-Bin...?node=16409901
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Los Angeles
If, as it seems, that it is just the length of the barrel that you would like to
increase then why not add a spacer to the remaining exposed threaded area?
Search for 4mm stand-offs. I'm sure that McMaster or someone else has them.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Guru

As for suggestions, I pointed out the head type requirement... oval counter-sunk...

That's the combination that's proving a challenge to find.

I've even checked Izarwaren, and don't see the latch style listed.

Products

A spacer would certainly work. I'm less concerned about the gap than just finding pieces the correct kind of head. Finding a counter-sunk, female, threaded binding post nut is proving more of a challenge than I'd expected!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
Guru

I chased around for a similar Chicago barrel a few months back for a patio table. Found what I needed on Ebay and other sites, though beware there were "pirates" on Ebay offering a single unit for close to $10!!
One major watch out that took me a while to discover..... first determine the metric thread (eg M4) then will need a barrel that is rated as M5 (not M4).
Double check my recollection but I distinctly remember that the M4 bolt did not fit in the M4 barrel, though it did not make much sense to me. Then once you determine the right metric size, you can pick the barrel length and where on the barrel length the bolt threads in. With a bit of fiddling to position the barrel, you can probably get away with a shorter barrel. Good luck.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
I chased around for a similar Chicago barrel a few months back for a patio table. Found what I needed on Ebay and other sites, though beware there were "pirates" on Ebay offering a single unit for close to $10!!
One major watch out that took me a while to discover..... first determine the metric thread (eg M4) then will need a barrel that is rated as M5 (not M4).
Double check my recollection but I distinctly remember that the M4 bolt did not fit in the M4 barrel, though it did not make much sense to me. Then once you determine the right metric size, you can pick the barrel length and where on the barrel length the bolt threads in. With a bit of fiddling to position the barrel, you can probably get away with a shorter barrel. Good luck.
The M4 and M5 hardware are not interchangeable as the numbers refer to diameter.
In fact, the more common thread pitches differ with M4 being .7mm and M5 is .8mm.
You may have been sold a mislabeled M5 bolt instead of what should have been an M4.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
Guru

Though with some more digging, and taking care about NSFW search results, oval head sex bolt got me a little closer... just not in stainless.

https://www.fastenright.com/general-...rrel-nuts/sb11

From NZ it gets closer... but I have to think shipping will be killer...

https://www.anzor.co.nz/nuts/barrel-...lot-barrel-nut
Old 09-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
Guru

Another term for this in the UK is an 'interscrew'?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands, CA
Vessel Name: New Adventure
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34 Trawler
I've had good luck with AMPG. Not sure how to post a link.

https://ampg.com/
sseltzer is offline   Reply With Quote