Old 09-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
http://www.fwmurphy.com/uploaded/doc...pdfs/94116.pdf

Just noticed the "pulsation dampener" which is removeable for cleaning...maybe I won't need a new one after all.
Yes, they clog with dirty fluids like engine oil, seawater, holding tank contents, etc.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #22

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Yes, they clog with dirty fluids like engine oil, seawater, holding tank contents, etc.
Cleaned it with carb cleaner. The pulsation dampened screw hole was clogged as well. Alas, no cigar...after reinstallation it did improve a bit(reading 15 psi when it was really over 30 according to VDO gauges at helms) for a few minutes but then went back to 5 psi and stayed there.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:18 AM   #23

City: Hong Kong
I just had a failure of a mechanical pressure gauge...the internal mechanism failed and the oil was pumped out in the bilge through the adjustment grommet port on the side.

There wasn't a shut-off valve before the pressure gauge so oil couldn't be refilled.

I don't think this is a common failure, but if you have a pressure gauge I recommend that you instal a shut-off valve.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"I don't think this is a common failure, but if you have a pressure gauge I recommend that you install a shut-off valve."

These failures are very rare , a set of Vice Grips to crush the feed line might work as Plan B.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: Belgium
I agree that these mechanical oil pressure gauges are extremely reliable, especially if they've gone 25 years, or in my case both went 40 years with no issues. Mine started leaking at a slightly-loosened connection but I cut and re-flaired the copper pipe anyway.

Regarding to Searios's comment about a small valve, well I would think there is a much, much higher rate of leaks developing from valves. Generally if a valve is not actuated regularly, then after several years when you do close/open it you get leaks.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"The worrisome part is now that I know the model number I can access the data sheet on the website, and see that the two electrical wires on each gage are suppose to activate a solenoid or whatever to automatically shut down the engine when the pressure is low enough. This didn't happen...if 5 lbs isn't low enough, what is ??"

ALL the Murphy gauges are not "switch gauges" that can be ordered with adjustable hi and/or low set points to be used in a shutdown or alarm system.

Some simply will sound like any oil pressure alarm system when there is little or no oil pressure.

For folks that cruise with friends as crew might want to discover and install a switch gauge package.

Colored markings painted on a gauge are fine for a crew that will monitor the gauges underway (hopefully often) .

The instant notification if a switch sounding a horn or bell , is sure to be noticed.

Folks that want a simple no cost system might consider an old aircraft technique.

Rotate all the critical gauges so the needle is parallel to the dash when warmed up and at cruise.

A drooping needle is easy to spot as the gauge does not have to be read and understood , it simply needs to be noticed, and reported.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Regarding to [B
Searios[/B]'s comment about a small valve, well I would think there is a much, much higher rate of leaks developing from valves. Generally if a valve is not actuated regularly, then after several years when you do close/open it you get leaks.
That's correct. But a normal dip stick check should reveal if oil is disappearing as an early warning. A complete failure means the engine is dead as oil cannot be refilled, unless there is a shutoff valve... I'll prefer the valve any time as I can refill, limp home and get it fixed...
Old 07-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #28

I will probably install an in-line pressure switch too..
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I had an electric oil pressure switch screwed into an Onan marine generator. The generator sat under a leaky hatch. Over many years, rain rusted it and one day it popped apart and when the gen ran it pumped out oil into the bilge. they are all mechanical gauges that measure oil pressure, some with built in electronics that convert the signal to electronic, except the new trend in trucks is to contrive the pressure number from a computer calculation, like Dodge does. I think that's a crazy thing to do. They do the same thing for a MPG readout, contrive it from a fuel map, they dont actually measure it, its just fake.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #30
Guru

City: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF;
Rotate all the critical gauges so the needle is parallel to the dash when warmed up and at cruise.

A drooping needle is easy to spot as the gauge does not have to be read and understood , it simply needs to be noticed, and reported.

I like this idea. But would it be better to have the needle vertical at 12:00?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote