marine trader fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poczatek

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lil' Toot
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin
I began the rebuild of my 1974 MT 34 double cabin. While taking a closer look at the fuel tanks, I noticed they are in good condition, no apparent rust of any kind. But i also noticed that they seem to be galvanized steel tanks. Does anyone know if this boat came with galvanized tanks? I'm thinking they may have been changed.

Marine Traders were made by several boat builders in Taiwan but to the best of my knowledge, they all used mild steel, AKA black iron.

Does you MT have teak decks?

If I remember correctly galvanized metal shouldn't be used with diesel .
Greg

Yes, teak decks. I've got some damage, in the front between the hatch and the starboard windshield base. I've got most of it removed. Also, the mast base has a leak and there was a small amount of damage around the head ceiling and below the mast base. Once again, I've got most of it removed and waiting for the weather to warm up to make the leak repairs, then re-do the plywood and finish. There is minimal leaks around the windows; as they have been worked on over the years buy the P.O. Everything in the bilge and hull look great. And as I mentioned in my previous post, the fuel tanks seem to be very good condition, galvanized Steel, (maybe Aluminum?) I'll take a magnet in there next time I'm in the bilge. (That's if Stainless attracts the magnet, cant remember at the moment. I'm anxious to fire up the Lehman 120 and the transmission in the Spring and I see how well they are. Guaranteed by the seller. (in writing). I may do top end on the engine or more if I think it needs it; after I check blow by and the sorts, and I plan to put in a new damper plate and transmission plates and what ever else it may need. I plan to cruise it to Florida in 2019; so I'm not rushing; as I have a killer deal, dry storage up here in Albany, N.Y. area. They only problem is this 5 months of very cold weather.
I would appreciate any advise from you or anyone. I'm a moderately advanced mechanic; so I believe I can do most everything; as much as this 70 year body can take.

Greg, I believe the tanks are either Stainless Steel (not galvanized) or Aluminum. My bad describing them as galvanized, as they probably are not. They have been in there for a few years and there have been no fuel problems that I've been made aware of.

As you are asking for advice, mine is not to touch the engine until you have run her a bit. They are very bulletproof until they are not, usually an overheat in cylinder 6. Make sure you burp the coolant as per the manual. Change the oil in the trans and the engine, do all the filters and the water pump, cooler zincs etc. so you have a baseline, then go cruising!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom