Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #1

City: MIAMI
Marine Trader eyebrow trim/molding

Marine Trader 44 has a problem with rainwater draining down thru where all the cables route down into salon from flybridge. There's a few possibilities where the water is getting in, but I am suspicious of the molding around the flybridge eyebrow. I can imagine rain running down the angled brow, and then seeping into any unsealed crevice.

Has anybody ever reasealed this piece? It appears to be 1 solid peice all around the flybridge. Can i get away with just running a thin bead around the edge and sliding my finger to force it down in the crevice? Or would I need to unscrew the entire unit, pry it off, scrape out old sealant, reseal?

*note that some of the images are posting upside down
Attached Thumbnails
20210322_121430.jpg   20210322_121437.jpg   20210322_122601.jpg  
ERTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
As you probably already know forcing new caulk into old caulk that's cracked / compromised is a short term fix at best.

On my 34 MT - which suffered from the same issue you are having that was my first fix. it lasted a season. Then I took it apart, cleaned, recaulked. When I did that I found giant blobs of caulk left by previous owners. That lasted 2 seasons. Finally I took the trim off and just glassed the cowling to the boat.... it's been that way five years now and no leaks.

This does make it a lot harder to remove the flybridge and transport the boat...
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, marine trader