Old 10-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Sands View Post
20K!!! Sign me up. I am on the lookout for a Sailrite or maybe a Sailrite clone if I can find one. I have canvas to do soon and probably need a Walking Foot style machine.
Affordable you could say that the Sailrite is the clone. They take the basic Chinese machine, add some beefed up parts, and time it properly. The Rex and Barracuda are the same basic machine, there are other brand names as well. They just don't have the beefier parts and probably not tuned as well as they could be. If any of the weak parts break (they probably will, mine did), the Sailrite parts are drop in replacements. Sailrite has all the running videos on YouTube, so of you're handy you can tune it yourself. And even the Sailrite doesn't stay in tune forever so you'll have to do it yourself eventually regardless. I got my zig zag Rex on Amazon a couple years ago for about $350, about half the cost of the Sailrite. I think they have Barracuda too. They don't come with the big handwheel which helps a lot, also available on Amazon under the Barracuda brand at about $100. This increases the torque and penetration while cutting the sewing speed in half. You can sew thicker assemblies with better control. My Rex has been great, while a friend of mine recently bought the super deluxe Sailrite machine for almost $2000 and has had a lot of trouble with it.
jgwinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Where do you buy your material? Sunbrela?

Bud
Sailrite has about the best prices. You can buy local at fabric shops but usually costs a lot more. I only do that if I run out and need more right now.
jgwinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Very nice work, it’s really not that difficult if you take your time and I have no idea what I’m doing, but I always have a good time!
Bought a new Consew after using an old Singer 111.

Most of the fabric/tread/foam I buy from sail right.
The quality is good and the price is fair. The videos are good, and they are helpful. You really get what you pay for.

I swapped out the standard clutch motor for a high tork servo motor. Works well with all but the heavy full grain leather.
Attached Thumbnails
3709ABBB-85A4-47EA-A371-27B8AB0ADB81.jpg   29079E7D-AB39-4D4D-B74A-2B3B1F37267F.jpg   DF3566E4-F983-4683-B87D-81BE89D5A0BA.jpg   E970FC69-49F0-49F8-81F4-1F9C9C657AEB.jpg   898DDBA9-46E2-4B54-A260-EBF05802E7B7.jpg  

2F32CB32-C2D5-4984-815E-1E089ADF5449.jpg   2355E824-2607-4257-8041-FF47357BC240.jpg  
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
There are Chinese knockoffs and their accessories on Aliexpress for ~$400. Just search "Sailrite."
Chinese clone is just that. A clone. You get what you pay for.
Tolerances are loose, hard to adjust tension, make that almost impossible to really nail tension of upper and lower thread to achieve a perfect stitch. The 'Monster wheel' is a great add-on.

I have done a lot of sunbrella work with the clone, and more planned. Quality is adequate for my purposes and skill level. Have more projects planned. If money isn't an issue buy the Sailrite.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not about machines but about thread. I only use Tenara thread. It lasts forever. I never use poly thread if the project gets near sunlight.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #26
Guru

City: NEW PORT RICHEY
Vessel Name: M/V Intrigue
Vessel Model: 1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. All these cushions people made look great. Some are next level with the curves and the piping etc. I think I am going to get a walking foot soon. Ill post back when I tackle some outside canvas covers. Eventually I will be aluminum welding/fabricating a cockpit canvas cover with fixed aluminum framework that will also incorporate a lifting eye strong enough to hoist the dinghy up using Weaver mounts. Also have paint and some minor fiberglass and woodwork. Cant wait t get started.
Barking Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #27
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Sewing is one of the most rewarding projects for boats. I finally burnt out my "new" Singer machine. Bought it in the 1980s and it had plastic gears. Repair shop said I got my $140 worth of service out of it and it wasn't worth repairing. Now I'm looking at a replacement. I still have my antique Singer treadle and it is going strong. Needles are the weak link for it. It will sew leather to canvas with the right needle (assuming co-ordinated leg action).

I've used Seattle Fabrics for most things and Sailrite a few times. Prices are comparable, but I can drive to Seattle Fabrics in 15 minutes. If new to this, there are a couple of books that can provide handy tips. One is The Complete Canvas Worker's Guide. A used copy from someplace like Thriftbooks.com would be a good investment.

Barking Sands,

I have a Tung Hwa Clipper 30, which appears to be a sister ship. It seems to have been marketed "backwards" in that it is 32 feet overall, yet called a 30. Nowadays it would probably be called a "10 meter" to exaggerate the length.

One of the differences between our boats, and one that was a reason for our purchasing, is that our dining table floor is raised 5 inches. It requires a step up but provides a better view when dining. When made into a berth, the berth is raised 5 inches. My wife now prefers making the table into the bed every night rather than using the V berth. It allows us to use the forward bulkhead as a headboard and be able to read in bed and look out the windows when at anchor. Fun.

Is this the same boat as yours or another sister ship?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #28
Guru

Marco, I believe it is the exact same boat. I have seen a dozen or so examples looking around the web with about 3 or 4 different names. Some do have slightly different layouts. For the first time after putting in the cushions we put in the table and used it to watch TV and lounge around. That is a great spot and I think we will be doing just as you do and converting it nightly for sleeping. I love this little boat. It has big boat attributes in a little hull. Plenty of fuel, plenty of water, upper and lower helm, side door, good range etc etc. But great little boat for a couple thats easy to get in and out of anywhere. Do you have pictures or a page for you boat? I love to look at others for ideas.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #29
Guru

Not many pictures yet. I bought it right at the start of Covid and my pictures so far are mainly things that I need/want to fix and take phone pictures with me to the hardware store (along with my credit card).

Here is one that I took to try to figure out how to put a name on the transom given the transom door. It shows my recent "non-sewing" project. The PO had the upper deck completely replaced and took the new deck all the way back to the stern. He had Sunbrella curtain panels that were all moldy and with corroded zippers that were tearing out. I used them as patterns and replaced all seven with PVC. All panels are glued together like an inflatable boat and fasten together with Common Sense fasteners instead of zippers. Not a single stitch in the project. It makes a wonderful sun porch in the winter.

Another modification made by the PO is that the upper helm seats were joined (kind of hard to see in the picture but it's right behind the mast). That makes it necessary to step over the connection into a little cockpit for the seating. Apparently the reason was to accomodate a big built in ice box under the passenger and middle seat. How many cold drinks does one need at the upper helm?
Attached Thumbnails
Chiton stern.jpg  
Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

On a previous boat we had a transom gate like yours. I took a photo and measurements and sent them to a sign company. They made the name fit so that the letters didn’t break on the door edges. Looked great.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

This is our current boat. We chose the name Never Say Never without thinking about how it would fit but it worked out perfectly with the smaller word in the middle so it fits on the gate, sometimes you just get lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
C6E017AD-E7BC-48C5-9638-C0B5BF232A95.jpg  
Old 10-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
Barking Sands,

Looks great! For a first attempt it's awesome! he newer machines are incredible. My Brother does things I hadn't even thought of (like embroidery!?! Thanx Mom)
New curtains throughout, galley cushion covers, Upper bimini cover.
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I bought a brand new Sailrite walking foot sewing machine when they first introduced it in the 90's. Paid $299 and got the "Monster Wheel" free plus other accessories.

When I contacted Jim Grant at Sailrite about buying a sewing machine back then, he said that if I can operate a bandsaw, I should have no issues learning to sew.

It has paid for itself plus some over the years. Phifertex and Sunbrella window covers, upholstery, flybridge and cockpit enclosures. I carry the Sailrite and sewing supplies on the boat and do sewing projects during our 2 - 3 months summer cruise.

I purchase Sunbrella and all other supplies from Rex Pegg, a wholesale supplier in Tacoma, WA with a commercial account. Significant savings. Sailrite is retail and significantly higher priced.

I use polyester thread and it will outlast the fabric. I've been washing my Sunbrella and Phifertex covers with bleach every year for 20 years and there's no degradation of the polyster thread.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Move to somewhere there is sun and see how long the polyester thread lasts. In Arizona and Southern California it would last 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years. The Taylor Made boat covers would disintegrate in 2 1/2 years. That is why I bought a sewing machine. After going through 2 $600 storage covers in 5 years I bought the machine and made my own storage cover out of Sunbrella and Tenara thread. It was still in excellent condition when I sold the boat 6 years later. The additional cost for the Tenara thread was about $30 over polyester thread. And it is good for the life of the fabric.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
They made the name fit so that the letters didn’t break on the door edges.
Our transom door is offset just enough to make balancing a name difficult, especially for a 5 letter name. So I kept it simple and put the entire name on the "wide" side of the transom door. Broke with tradition and have a lopsided name and hailing port. Boat still runs great.

I've lusted after a walking foot sewing machine for years but never bought one. I have two friends that own them and are willing to lend them, so that makes it even more unnecessary for me to purchase. It's like my neighbors having chickens and too many eggs. Why would I get chickens?
Old 10-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #36
Guru

Marco, please poset some pictures when you get the fhance. Extending the upper deck was also something i was considering. I would love to see an example of that.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #37
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you plan to get into sewing canvas, the Sailright is just adequate. It's like the difference in a Fein tool and a Black and Decker. Keep looking. Walking foot essential!

If you can use a table saw, sewing is a similar challenge, except in planning...If you are a beginner, best to use fabric with no pattern til you get better at it! I was a regular Suzy Homemaker with my ex' Pfaff, making curtains, cushions, cosies, you name it. Gender has no bearing on sewing. I gave it up when I seriously started looking at a serger.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
If you plan to get into sewing canvas, the Sailright is just adequate. It's like the difference in a Fein tool and a Black and Decker. Keep looking. Walking foot essential!
Sailrite has a walking foot.

Why is a Sailrite just adequate?
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Sailrite has a walking foot.

Why is a Sailrite just adequate?
I agree, my Sailrite kicks butt. I love it and have had it for over 10 years and it works great.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #40
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Thanks for all the info on buying fabric.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote