Making new cushions and learning to sew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is our current boat. We chose the name Never Say Never without thinking about how it would fit but it worked out perfectly with the smaller word in the middle so it fits on the gate, sometimes you just get lucky.

Attachments

• C6E017AD-E7BC-48C5-9638-C0B5BF232A95.jpg
    C6E017AD-E7BC-48C5-9638-C0B5BF232A95.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 23
Barking Sands,

Looks great! For a first attempt it's awesome! he newer machines are incredible. My Brother does things I hadn't even thought of (like embroidery!?! Thanx Mom)
New curtains throughout, galley cushion covers, Upper bimini cover.

Last edited:
I bought a brand new Sailrite walking foot sewing machine when they first introduced it in the 90's. Paid $299 and got the "Monster Wheel" free plus other accessories.

When I contacted Jim Grant at Sailrite about buying a sewing machine back then, he said that if I can operate a bandsaw, I should have no issues learning to sew.

It has paid for itself plus some over the years. Phifertex and Sunbrella window covers, upholstery, flybridge and cockpit enclosures. I carry the Sailrite and sewing supplies on the boat and do sewing projects during our 2 - 3 months summer cruise.

I purchase Sunbrella and all other supplies from Rex Pegg, a wholesale supplier in Tacoma, WA with a commercial account. Significant savings. Sailrite is retail and significantly higher priced.

I use polyester thread and it will outlast the fabric. I've been washing my Sunbrella and Phifertex covers with bleach every year for 20 years and there's no degradation of the polyster thread.

Last edited:
Move to somewhere there is sun and see how long the polyester thread lasts. In Arizona and Southern California it would last 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years. The Taylor Made boat covers would disintegrate in 2 1/2 years. That is why I bought a sewing machine. After going through 2 $600 storage covers in 5 years I bought the machine and made my own storage cover out of Sunbrella and Tenara thread. It was still in excellent condition when I sold the boat 6 years later. The additional cost for the Tenara thread was about $30 over polyester thread. And it is good for the life of the fabric.

They made the name fit so that the letters didn’t break on the door edges.

Our transom door is offset just enough to make balancing a name difficult, especially for a 5 letter name. So I kept it simple and put the entire name on the "wide" side of the transom door. Broke with tradition and have a lopsided name and hailing port. Boat still runs great.

I've lusted after a walking foot sewing machine for years but never bought one. I have two friends that own them and are willing to lend them, so that makes it even more unnecessary for me to purchase. It's like my neighbors having chickens and too many eggs. Why would I get chickens?

Marco, please poset some pictures when you get the fhance. Extending the upper deck was also something i was considering. I would love to see an example of that.

If you plan to get into sewing canvas, the Sailright is just adequate. It's like the difference in a Fein tool and a Black and Decker. Keep looking. Walking foot essential!

If you can use a table saw, sewing is a similar challenge, except in planning...If you are a beginner, best to use fabric with no pattern til you get better at it! I was a regular Suzy Homemaker with my ex' Pfaff, making curtains, cushions, cosies, you name it. Gender has no bearing on sewing. I gave it up when I seriously started looking at a serger.

If you plan to get into sewing canvas, the Sailright is just adequate. It's like the difference in a Fein tool and a Black and Decker. Keep looking. Walking foot essential!

Sailrite has a walking foot.

Why is a Sailrite just adequate?

Thanks for all the info on buying fabric.

Bud

Simple question..what is the difference between a standard sewing machine and a walking foot? I have been making simple covers with sunbrella either three or four layers with a $200 basic machine.

The walking foot operates much like the feed dog, pulling the fabric assembly through the machine from the top and bottom. A standard foot merely presses down and slides along the fabric. The walking foot really comes into play when sewing things like vinyl windows which will stick to a standard foot and resist going through the machine.

A walking foot is a nice upgrade to a simple presser foot. However, the really pleasurable machines have a needle feed wherein the needle moves back and forth with the dogs. Much easier to keep consistent tension and stitch length, a straight seam and reduce damage from material getting caught on something. I use an ancient Juki LU563 which is a beast and has no difficulty stitching several layers of Sunbrella to 40 gauge Lexan. Industrial machines like this can be found for under $500. Because they are big and heavy, they are not very portable in which case a smaller Baracuda, Sailrite or Pfaff is very handy.

Back
Top Bottom