Mail Order Bimini Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sailrite has many DIY videos. Very helpful.

John
I agree... do some small jobs to get used to sewing.
I have been very happy with fabric purchased from Rockford Supply.com.
The usually have 2nds and closeouts that are real bargains. Buy some 2nds and find some smaller projects you can get started on.
I'd suggest learning to make and use patterns.
I have been happy with using a heavy plastic sheet that allows visibly through it and Sharpies work well for marking. You can use different colors to designate different items... i.e. marking bows etc w black and later using red as a "cut libe"after adding seam allowance, etc.
The is an extensive "thread" on DIY canvas tips that may help get started.
An area where you can set up several large tables for layout and infeed/outfeed from machine will help a lot.

Thanks. And yes, I agree too. Start small to get the feel for the machine.

And I would assume you meant Rochford Supply????

John

Yes on Rochford... worth a look.

I have been buying my Sunbrella from greatlakesskipper.com. Haven’t bought any for a while but they used to have a great price on it. Selection is somewhat limited though.

Ordered some from Rochford. Good price. And found a "slightly used" Sailrite Ultralight LS-1 for sale locally for $200. So bought it. No electrical cord, but looks almost new. Lady said that it had only been used for less than 5 hours. But she didn't tell me the story behind it, although I hinted broadly that I would really love to know. Oh well. Ordered a new electrical cord from Sailrite.

The old Sailrite which I have, by the way, is circa 1995, and has been heavily used by my ex wife. So I figure that a "like new" one might be good, for that price.

John

John
There is an extensive "thread" on DIY canvas tips that may help get started.

Can you give me a hint for locating it? I looked, but didn't see anything which fits that description.

Bacchus:907870 said:
An area where you can set up several large tables for layout and infeed/outfeed from machine will help a lot.

Not a problem. Our living room fits that perfectly.

John

I don't know much about sewing but it is likely that a second "ultralight" machine may be handy to have setup for the lighter stitching while your older machine is setup for the heavy stuff. Window and hatch covers and moving up to a fitted windlass cover may give you the feel for the machines as well as the confidence to make a perfectly fitted bimini. Very excited for you. Hope you will keep this thread updated with your beginning projects as well as the final bimini. A lot of FL boats add wraps around SS bimini frames where they touch the isinglass and burn it.

Bimini redo

Yes I can! Dixie Seat Covers, in Pascagoula Mississippi. They have done a lot of work for me, and I recommend them highly. Last year they were fine with me mailing my Bimini to them to be copied.

Are your bows one piece or 3 piece? Are they aluminum or SS ?
You will have trouble shipping them if one piece b/c will be very oversize.
If they are three piece they are shipable. If the are 3 piece aluminum, you can buy a complete top with new bows for under $300 and very good quality too.

Given the current state of affairs in Florida, I try to stay away from crowded places to the maximum extent possible. But now I need to get a new Bimini top, since my old one, like me, is showing signs of age and coming apart.

So what I would like to do is to put the old one in a box, ship it to someone who makes Bimini tops, and have them make a new one just like the old one except newer, and send it back to me.

Can anyone recommend such a place?

Thanks,
John

There was a guy down in Naples/Ft. Myers area who built them as a hobby... look on craigslist in Ft. Myers.

Hard Top option

Given the current state of affairs in Florida, I try to stay away from crowded places to the maximum extent possible. But now I need to get a new Bimini top, since my old one, like me, is showing signs of age and coming apart.

So what I would like to do is to put the old one in a box, ship it to someone who makes Bimini tops, and have them make a new one just like the old one except newer, and send it back to me.

Can anyone recommend such a place?

Thanks,
John

You might also try Hardtotop.com They will make a hard top that attached to your existing Bimini frame

Atlantic towers.com. get a custom hard top for same price

I did the sailrite thing..bought a machine and made a winter project out of doing a full canvas room . Sailrites videos were great and the learning curve was not that bad. I had never done this before. I don’t have this boat anymore tho...anyone want to buy a used machine and all the accessories?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom