Lube strategy for Morse engine control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The circa 2007 Morse combination transmission and throttle control in my pilothouse is smooth as the day it was new, but the twin unit on the bridge is squeaky and hard to move. Seems like it is calling out for some lube. Am I reading that right, and is PB Cable Blaster the right product?
TFXCH5200P.jpg

The first thing I would do is disconnect the cables from the control and see where the problem is located. It may be the cables from the bridge to below or it could be the control head itself. If it is the cables the best thing to do is replace them. But when I had a Trojan boat their forum had a method to lubricate the cables with Marvel Mystery Oil. Don’t know how well it worked or how long it lasted. Essentially the procedure was to add oil at the top of the cable and use air pressure to push it down the cable and out the bottom. But it could also be the control head that is sticking, just not as likely as the cables.

Cables and control heads require maintenance and lubrication, preferably done BEFORE they show need of it.
Most things mechanical that I install on my boat get disassembled and liberally greased first.
Cables like a product called “Tri Flow”, it’s not too thick or sticky, and seems to have some silicone in it.
I make a funnel out of plastic and duct tape around the upper end of the cable housing, flood it, and let the lube soak in while I rock the cable back and forth for a while.
Comodaves recommendation to check the components individually is sound, control heads can be limbered up, and cables are easily replaced.
A sticky cable merits replacement, you can waste a lot of time trying to make an old one new!

Back
Top Bottom