Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
Low cost boat cover

Having had enough of needing to re-do the teak every spring I wanted some protection for the cap rails, doors, etc. Our fly-bridge bimini cover is also getting a bit old so some extra waterproofing for the fly-bridge was also ‘on the list’– just avoids water getting on the seats etc. A boat-house is unaffordable (up here almost as much as the boat itself!) so this led us towards a large boat cover – large being a key word as our boat is 56’ with overhangs!

Managing the precious boat-bucks had us making our own. Postings online describe using tarp material as the pattern for a proper boat cover, but to be honest after spending the time and going through all that work I am going to use the tarp itself for a few years until it is worn out and then see!

I have an old Phaff 138 commercial sewing machine. It does not have a walking foot like a Sailrite but handled everything fine. The biggest challenge was a working area large enough to sew 40’ sections of tarp. I ended up making what amounted to a temporary sail loft in the car-port! We sewed a number of darts, tapers, and gussets (below).

To start we ran a rope ‘ridge-line’ from bow to stern with a few 2x4 posts to stop it sagging. Fast to put up, also pretty quick to remove and store.

We wanted a cover that could be removed should we do some winter cruising, so for mounting I took the approach lifted from widely available car-covers - elastic straps and grommets. The cord easily available and purchased from a sewing supply store. Some wooden ‘buttons’ cut and drilled from an old dowel completed the ties. They work really well. They are fast to install and remove, and keep the cover snug.

For practicality of sewing, installing, and removing we made the cover in 4 sections with about 2’ overlap between each section. Even so they each were big enough to be a challenge to sew! The 4 sections are: bow to the top of the flybridge, front of fly bridge to rear of the bimini/mast, mast to end of back deck, and finally an almost vertical stern panel to close off the rear.

The rails make a great tie-down. We sewed a gusset all along the covers and inserted grommets every ~ 4’. The excess material hanging down below the gusset to provide protection to the cap rails have a simple rope to snug down around the hull. As the bottom rope is only stopping the bottom few feet of the cover from flapping in the wind (the main cover is attached to the rails by the gusset) it doesn’t have to be very robust.

All in all we are very pleased. We think it is not a total marina eye-sore. It has taken rain and wind in stride with no issues at all. It is completely dry inside and has enough clearance for some of the winter jobs I have planned. It even covers the dinghy on the back deck – so I don’t have my annual job of sorting out dinghy storage!

We will have to keep our eye open for snow and likely have to clear it by hand, but with El Nino this year we might be lucky and not have any!

Total cost is about $350.
Attached Thumbnails
20151029_114703.jpg   20151029_114615.jpg   20151029_114836.jpg  
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Great job, and saving a lot of boat bucks too!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Great job!

That takes some mental gymnastics to visualize the shape, factor in the gusset location, then to cut & sew a monstrously uncooperative pile of tarps into an effective boat cover

Looks like you might be onto a retirement income padding venture?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post

To start we ran a rope ‘ridge-line’ from bow to stern with a few 2x4 posts to stop it sagging. Fast to put up, also pretty quick to remove and store.
Nice job!
Looks great and appears to be well thought out.
Our yard using non-stretch strapping instead of rope for the ridge when doing shrink wrap - don't know if you get any "sag" but that would eliminate it!?

You might post a link on the DIY Canvas Tips & Tricks thread as there are some good ideas here. (or let me know and I'd be happy to do a link)
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Great job!

A couple of years ago I was tempted to give up my shelter in Coal Harbour and move permanently to Long Harbour. In thinking this through, I needed a winter cover, so found one for sale that had been custom made for an OA 52. As it was used and didn't exactly fit my boat (C&L 44) I got it for 1/2 new price. I tried it for a couple of months the first year I did the 1/2 year at Long Harbour, but didn't give up my shelter. I now do a 6 month sublet of the shelter, so I get it for the winters and go to Long Harbour for the summers. I no longer use the OA 52 cover, so it is again for sale. It would fit your GC quite well. Let me know if you are interested.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Between boats
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
nice cover...I got covers with my boat..a top deck cover and one that goes from the bow to the brow of the flying bridge. they are huge and for sale...fits a 38/40 Europa but can be refitted if needed. fixed all my deck leaks so don't need them now. Any takers?
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote