Long term storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derik Loubser

Hallo everyone, first post here.
I’m interested in a power catamaran with Yanmar 230 hp 4LHA-STP‘s.
As I’m still working I’ll only be able to use it once a year, and will need to store it for long periods on the hard.
My question is at what intervals do these engines need to be run, and in what manner. I tried searching and think reading in the manual it mentioned a max of 3 or 6 months?

Thank you for your time

Welcome aboard. We store our boat with twin diesels for 6 months over the winter without any problems. We do winterize it but where you are that probably isn’t an issue. Good luck.

Although winterising will not be required for the OP, some storage preparation will be prudent.

Where I am the climate is humid, but may not be as humid as Langkawi. When I had my engines serviced recently the dealer's mechanic noted that when he removed my air cleaners there was no rust on the inlet side of the turbo. I explained that I used the boat every 2 or 3 weeks. He then said that in humid climates where engines sit for a few months some surficial rust often develops. But to take it further, inside the engine there will be a valve or maybe two open, and the humidity could then impact the valve seats or cylinder rings. So sealing the air intake is a smart thing to do if the engine will sit for a period (say a month or more) without starting.

The best advice I can give is to check what the manual, or manufacturer, recommends for prolonged storage. There could well be other considerations than just humid air moving in and out of engine internals due to diurnal temperature variations. And also note that boats have lots of systems, many of which can deteriorate without regular use. The issues that arise may not be trivial either.

Were I in the OP's situation I would try and find a local who could use the boat for crewed charters, with profits shared. That brings its own 'wear & tear' issues, but with the right local person involved it would alleviate most of the storage related issues and likely give a better outcome overall. The last thing you want to be confronted with during your once a year usage is a succession of annoying little maintenance projects (or even a big one!) that impacts your holiday.

Last edited:
Aah, nothing like reality to mess with overly optimistic ideals.

Thank you for that perspective, that makes complete sense and I agree that further investigation will be required. The specific catamaran design does not lend itself to chartering, but the regular running might be a service provided by the local shipwright.

Would you be storing the boat in the water? If so perhaps the “local shipwright” or a local captain/mate would be an option. Hire them to run everything, from main engines (under load) to the refrigeration to every pump, on a monthly basis.

Sitting unused seems to be terrible treatment for most mechanical things in my experience.

Good Luck

My dry start proceedure is to shut off the fuel and spun the engine om the starter, intermittently so as not to overheat it, long enough to get oil pressure well up.
Without fuel the loads on rings and bearings is less.

If you will only be using a boat once a year you really should not own one. Join a yacht club that has several boats or just rent when you are ready to vacation. Unless your job in Saudi Arabia is being a Prince or a Sheik this is not an economically wise decision.

pete

fog the engines. Then seal all openings. Disconnect the batteries. Should be able to store it for 30 years or more in dry climate.

From BoatUS....

"Fog intake — diesel engines only
Spray fogging oil into the intake manifold and turn the engine over slowly by hand to draw the oil into the cylinders and spread it. Do not use the starter, even with the stop control pulled out; the engine can start on the fogging oil."

From BoatUS....

Spray fogging oil into the intake manifold and turn the engine over slowly by hand to draw the oil into the cylinders and spread it. Do not use the starter, even with the stop control pulled out; the engine can start on the fogging oil."

I agree, diesels can run on most anything that is combustible. Where he is is very dry so rusting probably isn’t going to be an issue.

I agree, diesels can run on most anything that is combustible. Where he is is very dry so rusting probably isn’t going to be an issue.

Where he is might be very dry. But where he plans to store the boat, Langkawi (Malaysia) most certainly is not!

"I tried searching and think reading in the manual it mentioned a max of 3 or 6 months?"

You are looking in the wrong manual.

"Da BooK" every owner should have is the engine factory repair and rebuild manual.

Will be $100 or more but items like storage will be well covered.

From BoatUS....

Good procedure however, barring over my 8-71's is nigh impossible.... So depending on engine that may or may not be feasible.

Saw a vid on starting large ship engines the other day and they had a gear that slides on to the fly wheel (with a big manual lever) which was connected to a motor. They had to turn the engine at 2-3 rpm for an hour to get the oil going before starting it.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom