Life lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The 4 plastic coated SS lifelines located between the handrail and the caprail on the foredeck are nearing the end if their useful "life". Does anyone know of a source for these? The rigging guy in the yard wants $500, which seems steep to me for perhaps 36' overall of lines.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Or buy the materials and use screw lock type fittings if you can't or don't want to swage.

I bought, on Amazon.com, a 50' roll of SS 3/23" cable, coated OD 3/16"" about $25.00 plus freight. they sell the ferrules as well. Or use small cable clamps not as pretty but, tighten with a wrench and reusable!

Bought a swage tool 12 years ago and redid all the lines on Bay Pelican in a short time. You will also need a good cable cutter but the cable cutter will be useful for other things. Be cautious in buying the swage fittings as some are designed for the hand tool while others require professional weight equipment.

This is a job that needs redoing , almost forever.

The Nicropress tool creating eyes and re attaching your existing hardware is simplest.

The 4 plastic coated SS lifelines located between the handrail and the caprail on the foredeck are nearing the end if their useful "life". Does anyone know of a source for these? The rigging guy in the yard wants $500, which seems steep to me for perhaps 36' overall of lines.

:thumb:
Jim

Don't pay marine prices.

I just got some pool fencing done at home. A total of over 600 ft of 4mm (5/32") 316 stainless with 32 adjustable swage fittings. All made up and delivered for less than US $1400.

Don't pay marine prices.

I just got some pool fencing done at home. A total of over 600 ft of 4mm (5/32") 316 stainless with 32 adjustable swage fittings. All made up and delivered for less than US $1400.

Yowsah!

I'm going to figure out something cheaper for sure. I'll phone that outfit on Monday and see what their kits cost.

Jim

You can buy lifeline kits that include mechanical swage fittings. All you need to put them together is a hack saw (to cut the wire) and a couple of wrenches. I bought Suncor kits for my sail boat a couple of years ago. Mine use 3/16" uncoated wire. West and Defender and Jamestown sell the kits along with lots of other places.

I bought some for my "ex" Mainship several years ago thru Defender.
I gave them the dimensions and they had them made (someplace in FL I believe).
They were not all that bad at the time. I want to remember $100 ea or something like that. They took approx. 7 days from order to ship.

We used the suncor kits on our sailboat a few years ago. It as quite easy and very good quality. The only problem we had was some of the vinyl covered wire started to yellow after about a year. I don't blame this on Suncor, as they don't make the wire. The company provided us with new wire and becuase of the nature of the kits it was easy to replace. The replacement wire held up fine until we sold the boat. I'd use it again, but you need to understand that it isn't cheap, particularly if you have gates (we installed gates on both sides, amidships). The pelican hooks were quite expensive, as I recall. Only other suggestion if you go that route is to cut the line with a dremel and cut off disc - it made much cleaner and faster cuts than a hacksaw.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom