Old 01-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

City: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Shantina
Vessel Model: 43 CHB Trawler
Lehman 120 Injector Pump oil thinning

When doing recent servicing the injector pumps on the twin Lehmans on my CHB trawler, I found thin oil when draining one of them. This was the first service Iíve done on them since owning the boat. Is it possible that fuel could be getting into the oil reservoir on Lehman 120 HP six cylinder engine injector pumps? There is such a small oil reservoir in these pumps, I find it odd that one of them had thinner oil in it than the other one.

Skip Sunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

City: Patuxent River
Vessel Model: Bristol 42
My understanding is that it is normal for fuel to get into the oil in the injector pump, hence the relatively short (50hr) oil change interval.

Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The oil in the injector pump should be on a 50 hour change schedule to start with. On that engine this is a common issue. Each engine is a bit different so the oil change interval may be different between engines. Start at 50 hours and gradually extend the interval until you can see some dilution, then back off a bit and that is the interval for that engine. Be careful with the screws since the pump housing is aluminum if I remember correctly and easy to strip out.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #4

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Suggest you get hold of the Lehman service manual as that contains very valuable info including this service requirement. Great engines that may last forever with reasonable maintenance.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The main resource for Lehmans is American Diesel. Brian is the guru. 804-435-3107.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY View Post
Suggest you get hold of the Lehman service manual as that contains very valuable info including this service requirement. Great engines that may last forever with reasonable maintenance.
A mine of information if you get one. You don`t know what you don`t know. Lots of good stuff in it,exploded diagrams,part numbers, warnings,etc.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The are at least several "Lehman" manuals out there for different versions of Lehmans.

One such manual is for the Sabre Lehman which is pretty commonly posted or exchanged online, yet talking to American Diesel, Brian referred me to another manual for my Lehman. I don't remember what triggered his suggestion or how all the Lehman versions are different.

Even then, my boat came with a Lehman 135 that was repowered by a 120 block but used many of the old 135 parts . Took a couple years working with AD and Bomar to be able to get things straightened out.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injector pump, lehman