Leaking windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Enscoe

Veteran Member
Two of the windows with sliding panes are leaking, and I think it is because the felt seals separating the two sliders have deteriorated. Any thoughts about how to replace those seals, or how to find replacment windows?

Two of the windows with sliding panes are leaking, and I think it is because the felt seals separating the two sliders have deteriorated. Any thoughts about how to replace those seals, or how to find replacment windows?

It may be the draining ports at the bottom of the frame are blocked with debris, creating a dam and back flowing into the grooves.
It’s hard to accurately determine the source of any water leak, particularly around windows, whether it’s between the sliding glass, glass to frame or frame to cabin/house sides.

I rebuilt all ours, 22 total. Go to grandbankschoices and you can get an idea how they are put together.

The sliding windows in my 1973 Concorde leaked as well. Inside the aluminum frames the glass slides on plastic runners, and the dumbass builders held the runners in with screws shot though the aluminum. No evidence of any caulk or bedding, guaranteed to leak even if the drain ports are clean. I removed the screws, turned the runners end for end so the screw holes didn't line up, and glued them in with 4200 making sure I had all the holes well sealed. No more leaks. Now to rebuild all the rotten wood underneath. I don't know if yours has the runners, but it's something else to check.

Last edited:
Yup . We followed a N40 out of Portsmouth NH. Had been raining heavily for several weeks before (finally stopped) and a king tide. Lots of traffic on the river. Both of us left on the ebb. Both of us were very busy at the wheel. We chatted on the VHF after gaining open ocean. We agreed for FD hulls will pay more attention to the current before leaving. It isn’t just a sailboat thing.

Back
Top Bottom