Leaking deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mackin

I have a 1987 GB 42. The aft hatch consists of a sliding hatch cover and two doors. The doors do not extend all the way down to the deck. This configuration creates a cubical space in the aft cabin, indented from the after bulkhead of the cabin - above the level of the main deck. (I know; a picture’s worth a thousand words!) In heavy rain, water drips into the aft cabin at 1 point along the bottom edge of this indented space (right over my wife’s side of the queen berth, as it happens, which, needless to say, doesn’t make her best pleased). My thought is to run a bead of some clear sealant around this indentation, hopefully making the joint between the deck and the bulkhead waterproof. Just wondering what the best product would be.

Leak from doors or the lid?
To fix a lid leak you need to remove the sliding lid. Then clean out the drain holes and seal from outside on bottom to deck and any wood joints.
Have not had double door leak

Have a canvas cover made. The 42 GB next door had What sounds like the same leak. The canvas solved it.

+1 on the canvas. We did that on a previous boat that had a cockpit door. Simple fix since I have a commercial sewing machine.

We had the same and stopped it with a few drops of Captain Tulleys. Then did a proper re-caulking around the exterior.

Back
Top Bottom