Old 11-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #221
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Are you going new on the manifold valves and the plumbing from the new tanks to the newly rebuilt engine?

All new brass valves with SS ball/stems, new hose for the most part and we kept the copper lines mounted to the forward bulkhead. We've been talking about reconfiguring the system but that will have to wait. We're at the stage of just trying to get things done and avoid project creep.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #222
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Pretty....

I would offer another clamp to the accumulator. If for nothing else than redundancy.
Thanks. The hose barb won't accept two clamps, too short. It does have a 1/2 clamp on it though. That's one of the reasons to go to PEX, more robust connections.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #223
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Holy mackerel! What did you do in the afternoon?
Afternoon? What time is it?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #224
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks. The hose barb won't accept two clamps, too short. It does have a 1/2 clamp on it though. That's one of the reasons to go to PEX, more robust connections.
I was thinking more of an extra clamp to secure the body itself to the bulkhead...
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #225
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Very nice!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #226
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

And since I believe you are using wet cell batteries, think about dusting the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before putting the batteries in the boxes. The soda does a great job of soaking up and neutralizing and water/acid spills.
It works!. I've done this for years and use a shop vac to clean up when new batteries put in.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #227
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It works!. I've done this for years and use a shop vac to clean up when new batteries put in.
Yes it does. It also helps if you put DriDeck under the batteries to let air circulate under them.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #228
TF Site Team

Quote:
I was thinking more of an extra clamp to secure the body itself to the bulkhead...
Thanks for checking. There's a SS bracket with rubber standoffs for the tank mounted to the wall with 2-#10x3/4" screws. The hose clamp goes behind that. It seems pretty solid.

I bought this expansion tank 7-8 years ago to replace the Jabsco that cost $180. We paid <$50 at one of the box stores. Maybe the difference in price is the marine industry calls it an accumulator tank and the domestic plumbing folks call it an expansion tank.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #229
Guru

City: kemah
I just came across this, it actually explains the difference between the two well.

https://www.jabscoshop.com/files/Acc...4%20doc595.pdf
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #230
TF Site Team

Quote:
I just came across this, it actually explains the difference between the two well.

https://www.jabscoshop.com/files/Acc...4%20doc595.pdf
I think only on the installation, from what I can tell. There is no difference in the construction according to the article.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:08 AM   #231

City: G
Quote:

Thanks for checking. There's a SS bracket with rubber standoffs for the tank mounted to the wall with 2-#10x3/4" screws. The hose clamp goes behind that. It seems pretty solid.

I bought this expansion tank 7-8 years ago to replace the Jabsco that cost $180. We paid <$50 at one of the box stores. Maybe the difference in price is the marine industry calls it an accumulator tank and the domestic plumbing folks call it an expansion tank.
The item can be used in either application (accum. or exp.).
On a boat, in the cold water system its function is to increase the volume of the piping system and reduce cycling of the cold water pump. In a hot water system it is catering to expansion of the water as it is heated and prevents over pressure arising in the hw piping.
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #232
TF Site Team

We're done or will be in another day. The engine was on her bed by 10:30 this morning and fuel in the tanks by 2pm with no leaks. Now it's just hooking up hoses and the engine electrical. We splash Wednesday afternoon and move to Ortega Landing Marina Thursday. Are we ready?

I have one more post planned where I'll try to give an accurate cost breakdown. Maybe next week.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and support. I maybe able to revert back to a normal sleep cycle now.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #233
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Touchdown! Terrific, Larry. What an awe-inspiring account this has been. Thanks so much for letting us [virtually] share the experience.

Figured something out after the fact. It just so happened that, on Sunday, September 11, I was having lunch at the Sand Dollar Restaurant on Ft. George Is., and spotted a salty-looking KK-42 easing in to the St. Johns Boat Co. Nudging my companion, I said, now there's a very fine cruising trawler.

She's one heck of a lot finer now! Saludos!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #234
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Congrats, and a quick turnaround all things considered!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #235
Guru

City: South Florida
Awesome job, and one of the most timely projects of this size I have ever seen. Of course I know you have been out in front of this with planning and scheduling extraordinaire. It really makes all the difference when it comes to the Boat Yard Blues, but you set the bar.

3 days is enough for the new mounts to settle, alignment after splash? Any time for her to regain her "in the water" shape?

Very nicely done,

Quote:
We're done or will be in another day. The engine was on her bed by 10:30 this morning and fuel in the tanks by 2pm with no leaks. Now it's just hooking up hoses and the engine electrical. We splash Wednesday afternoon and move to Ortega Landing Marina Thursday. Are we ready?

I have one more post planned where I'll try to give an accurate cost breakdown. Maybe next week.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and support. I maybe able to revert back to a normal sleep cycle now.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #236
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Damn Larry! You guys don't mess around. Congrats!

I'm not posting my stupid little projects (that take longer than your major project) anymore. [emoji23]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #237
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Sweet! Congratulations!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #238
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Awesome acomplishment, and timely compared to most tank replacements I know of, not to mention all the other work included in making Hobo's ER the sexiest of all 42's. Sincere congrats!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #239
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Awesome acomplishment, and timely compared to most tank replacements I know of, not to mention all the other work included in making Hobo's ER the sexiest of all 42's. Sincere congrats!
+1!!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #240

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Nice job. It took me 2.5 years of long weekends to do what you did. I riped all the old copper out and went with 1/2 PEX. Cheap and easy to work with. It will out last me and I doubt it will leak. Go for it in the afternoon!
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote