Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #241
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Touchdown! Terrific, Larry. What an awe-inspiring account this has been. Thanks so much for letting us [virtually] share the experience.

Figured something out after the fact. It just so happened that, on Sunday, September 11, I was having lunch at the Sand Dollar Restaurant on Ft. George Is., and spotted a salty-looking KK-42 easing in to the St. Johns Boat Co. Nudging my companion, I said, now there's a very fine cruising trawler.

She's one heck of a lot finer now! Saludos!
Thanks.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #242
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Congrats, and a quick turnaround all things considered!
Thanks Scott. We did lose 5 days with Hurricane Matthew, six days on the port tank and Greg's heart issues did slow us down a bit but we had great weather for us anyway.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #243
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
...3 days is enough for the new mounts to settle, alignment after splash? Any time for her to regain her "in the water" shape?

Very nicely done,

Thanks.

St John's Boat Company doesn't have a place for Hobo to get her shape back when we splash unfortunately. Todays plan is to see how the alignment is, get it as close as possible and then take Hobo to OLM, about 20 miles up the river. Then we can sit for a week or so before we do the final. It's not ideal but .....
Old 11-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #244
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Damn Larry! You guys don't mess around. Congrats!

I'm not posting my stupid little projects (that take longer than your major project) anymore.
Thanks. Cardude: Post your projects. The little ones count to. Those are the ones that can eat you down the road later.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #245
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Sweet! Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Awesome acomplishment, and timely compared to most tank replacements I know of, not to mention all the other work included in making Hobo's ER the sexiest of all 42's. Sincere congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
+1!!!
Thanks for the kind words and support. There were a couple of times, well maybe more, when I was wondering, WTF I was doing and you guys plus many others, helped keep us going.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #246
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
Nice job. It took me 2.5 years of long weekends to do what you did. I riped all the old copper out and went with 1/2 PEX. Cheap and easy to work with. It will out last me and I doubt it will leak. Go for it in the afternoon!
Thanks. I may be getting a hold of you when we get ready to install the PEX. I've never worked with the stuff but it seems like the way to go. You've confirmed what we've been hearing.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #247
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #248
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks. I may be getting a hold of you when we get ready to install the PEX. I've never worked with the stuff but it seems like the way to go. You've confirmed what we've been hearing.
I will be down in early Jan, you can borrow my crimp toolunless planning to get started earlier.

RickB convinced me to go to the stainless crimp route for connections not likely needing to be changed frequently.

They are way cheaper than the push on connections, and when I redid MY WHOLE BOAT, fresh, salt and now I wish I did the Air conditioners both supply and drains too, it would have added up.

Not one ever leaked after crimping, even the one handed crimps way back behind things....it has been 2 years living aboard since the job.

There are a few connections that I may rethink and go push on as time goes along....just for convenience.

I bought bulk from a place called supplyhouse.com. very inexpensive and I went with the slightly more expensive but more flexible pex. Great service and pricing.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/

I did not use a manifold, just in line valves to shut down pumps, or boat sectors for maintenance. The manifold idea is nice if you have a lot of sectors or individual items....but it may mean much bigger access holes through bulkheads, etc.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #249
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Larry... Besides the obvious great looking ER now I was amazed that when I went back to the start of this thread to see when you started is was just 2months ago. Then if you back out Matthew and stuff you did this whole project in basically 6 weeks. That is pretty amazing. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Almost time to put her back to work!
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #250
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Larry, congratulations on being done close to on schedule! I was only off by a year or so. Everything looks great!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #251
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
A big well done! It has been an amazing project. Thanks for letting us tag along.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #252
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Larry.... What's your schedule for the rest of the winter? Going to be anywhere near SW Florida?
I'd love to have a first hand peek?

Mark
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #253
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I will be down in early Jan, you can borrow my crimp toolunless planning to get started earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
A big well done! It has been an amazing project. Thanks for letting us tag along.
You guys kept the pressure up. Particularly Don when he set the dates for the TF gathering in Fort Pierce. Maybe we can have a TF demonstration on installing PEX.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #254
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #255
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Larry... Besides the obvious great looking ER now I was amazed that when I went back to the start of this thread to see when you started is was just 2months ago. Then if you back out Matthew and stuff you did this whole project in basically 6 weeks. That is pretty amazing. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Almost time to put her back to work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Larry, congratulations on being done close to on schedule! I was only off by a year or so. Everything looks great!

Ted
Living on dirt was a big motivator to get the job done. We're not ready to swallow the anchor. Tonight we'll be sleeping back on Hobo.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #256
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Larry.... What's your schedule for the rest of the winter? Going to be anywhere near SW Florida?
I'd love to have a first hand peek?

Mark
Plans? We have no plans. If all goes well, we'll be leaving JAX in January for the 2nd annual TF gathering in Fort Pierce. After that probably, the Bahamas till June. But first we have to go in the water. We splash this afternoon.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #257
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Great project Larry, smooth steady pace even with a hurricane in the middle . Careful planning was obvious .Hobo is feeling the love . Hats off to you two .
Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #258
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Model: Glacier Bay 2770
Larry and Lena. So proud of you two!! Awesome job of documenting a challenging project. A real benefit to the community!!!! I can't wait to see you.
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #259
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Great project Larry, smooth steady pace even with a hurricane in the middle . Careful planning was obvious .Hobo is feeling the love . Hats off to you two .
Thanks Marty!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #260
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainship400 View Post
Larry and Lena. So proud of you two!! Awesome job of documenting a challenging project. A real benefit to the community!!!! I can't wait to see you.
Thanks John. We'll catch up with you in the end of February early March for sure.