Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Kilz primer

Does anyone have any experience using Kilz water based primer in a marine application? I have some wood that has developed a bit of "nose" and want to seal it before I repaint it.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
On the epoxy fiberglass skiffs that I have built, the FG distributor told me years ago to use Kilz 2 over the epoxy. 7 or 8 boats later, never a problem. Used on hull and interior. I wouldn't hesitate to use it anywhere aboard a boat.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Inside maybe.

Story: My friend & I were buildin a 30' downeast boat. He had an expert that designed it, made the molds, helped put the planks on, and stopped by each morning with detailed instructions what to do each day for a year. Nearing completion, the hull was ready for primer b/4 caulking. "Go get 2 gallons of Pettit #xxx primer and apply a coat, get in all the seams too" says the old timer. After he left for the day, my friend, looking at his stock of paint saw he had Kiltz primer of some kind and thinking of the 2 hrs it would take to get the Pettit #xxx, he decided to use it instead. The following morning, comes the old timer to inspect and impart the next step or demonstrate driving the caulking. Taking a whiff of the hull says "I'll be back next week when you have this all sanded off and the Pettit #xxx on" and walked out.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
use it a lot as several others here do...seems to work good from bilges to lockers to even outside stuff..all without a topcoat. Exterior, I don't know how long it will last but a year so far on junk projects seems to show no bad signs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Brooksi, sounds like your friend used the original kilz. That is shellac based. My grandfather always said use shellac in an oily environment such as in the engine space and use oil based in water environments. Kilz 2 is a water based product and will probably have totally different characteristics than oil or shellac products. I have not been impressed with the Kilz 2 as far as it's stain blocking characteristics on sheetrock and have no other experience with it.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
Brooksi, sounds like your friend used the original kilz. That is shellac based. My grandfather always said use shellac in an oily environment such as in the engine space and use oil based in water environments. Kilz 2 is a water based product and will probably have totally different characteristics than oil or shellac products. I have not been impressed with the Kilz 2 as far as it's stain blocking characteristics on sheetrock and have no other experience with it.
It could have been Kilz or BIN I don't remember but the moral of the story is: if you have an expert helping you, and he tells you what to do, do it...
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
More than a few "old timers" have trouble accepting new products and this is not always based upon rationality or experience; sometimes is just stubbornness. My wooden boat lives in the water and I frequently use Kilz 2 or BIN on projects. Never a problem with it.
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Conn
Vessel Name: Queen Neptune
Vessel Model: Mainship
Hey, hey , hey. What this with putting us old timers down! 30+ years of experience , through those years trying so many of the new products with less than expected results, and then it dawns on you------- this particular product works!!!!!! So why might I ask ---- would I change----? Experience MATTERS.
As a residential home improvement contractor since before nail guns, I can tell you the guns are faster, but the nails don't last as long or hold as well. Just put a 16d hot galvanized nail next to a named brand galvanized stick nail and you will see. Not saying that epoxy isn't better than resorcinol, or that some of today's products don't out perform products of old. But.................if it works, than it just plain and simple works. Keep it simple.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
First of all....not putting old timers down...read more closely...I was pointing out that they mostly know the facts and they probably don't listen to the drivel of a internet/part time boater who never drifts from the center..

Experience matters? Good experience matters..I teach and deal with bothers every day who before they even say hello the total crappola comes forth...." I 've been boating my whole life and this has never happened to me" or "I'm in the middle of the channel"...sure ....till you just look past their boat and see they are at least 20 feet outside of it.

But back to your post....it's not about new or old...it's about how we can all enjoy boating that we like, on boats we like, on the budgets (time and money) we have...how to continue cruises safely without having to pull into a town with the best chandlery in the country or detour to a boatyard that specializes in something.

Most people stay mainstream because it's safe...then they start reading forums like this and see people who have experimented and can show that there are safe, reasonable alternatives to the "traditional". Sure some "non-standard" stuff doesn't last as long or needs an extra safety precaution or two...but it doesn't mean others don't do it that way and go their merry way. So supporting contrary ideas to me is just fine...it's also fine that after enough opposing ideas and few supporting to just come out and say...hey...probably not a great idea. But when the "you cant do it that way" posts are #2 or #3 and without anything more than "you'll never see that in a West marine" or boating mag as support...it just makes me cringe.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
So, to the subject... The general consensus is, Kilz works well? Use it in the bilge and it works as good as bilgecoat?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I have used both the water and oil based Kilz. If you have to cover any stains the tannins in the stain or knots will bleed through the water based primer and the water based paint if used. I thought at first I will just give it another coat, NOT, it will continue to bleed through. If no stains or knots then the water based works fine and dries quicker and is easier to clean up after, IMO.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
does the oil based prevent the stains from bleeding through?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Guru

City: gulf coast
I hate kilz water or oil both. if you want to seal in an odor shellac primers seal in odors and stains. Never tried petit product but
Zinsser brand at home depot is my go to problem solver on wood or drywall.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I use B-I-N.

It's a Zinsser Co product. A shellac based tintable coating that brushes really nice. Says "indoor and spot sealer" on the can. Was recommended by our paint store and we used it on a "trellace" in the garden. Works really well there on old wood out in all the weather so I don't know about the "interior" note on the outside of the can. If you're interested you could call them and ask. They say it will cover and hide black wood damaged by fire, knots in wood, crayon ect. Their web address I think is Zinsser® Brand Page. Can't tell for sure as part of it is hidden by a drool .... of the product.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Guru

Yes that is the stuff BIN

Alcohol based so ventilation is needed.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
does the oil based prevent the stains from bleeding through?
Yes it does, definitely!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: No Plans
Vessel Model: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
The oil and shellac primers do a better job of sealing tannins but can take a coat or two. Since it dries fast even in a damp area, that is no hardship. I am finding after many years of being around coatings that solvents bother me more, therefore I use water based when I can.
Now as for using it in the bilge, it must be noted that it is only a primer, not a top coat. When I painted my bilge, which was unpainted 50 year old wood, I used the oil based BIN primer and top coated with Bilge Coat. That worked well.
I agree with PSNEELD, lotsa people been doing things for many years, but I never simply assume that alone means they have been doing it the best way
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Guru

Since your bilge is likely to have some residual oil I would not use water based primer.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #19

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Yes that is the stuff BIN

Alcohol based so ventilation is needed.
CAN'T USE ALCOHOL ON A BOAT:bang head: OH SORRY WRONG THREAD
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'll be using water based Killz2 for my bilge. I anticipate no top coating. Not the yachtiest (is that a word?) finish but good enough until I get more ambition.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote