Keeping runing gear clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

I just hauled out for the season and in spring I had coated all the runing gear with Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 and crossed my fingers.* I am happy to report that the running gear (main and wing props and shafts were completely clean.* We are in a high growth area and anything not coated* like the point where the keel hit the blocking or a around the stands, has 1 inch think barnacles.* It's nice to find something that works!

Dave

That's good to hear!!

I used it the last time I hauled out, about 2 years ago, and I had my diver replace my zincs recently and he said the same thing. *

I'm happily surprised, as at the time, I was having trouble getting my head around the $30 each for the two bomb can's of zinc paint it took to do both sets of gear.*
evileye.gif

Larry B

Dave: How many hours on the running gear?* We're hauling out in the spring/summer and I am still looking for the perfect coating.**
confuse.gif
* Our rudder and rudder shoe are SS so Prop Speed is out do to cost.

-- Edited by Larry M on Saturday 8th of October 2011 03:35:08 PM

When I got under my boat a couple months ago, I was shocked at the amount of growth on the running gear. Since then, I've had a reliable diver tell me that every month it is the same amount. He said I could do the coating, but I'd still be paying for a monthly cleaning anyway. I have to yank the boat for a couple of thru-hulls soon.....may as well shoot some of the zinc stuff on it. Thanks for the idea.

I put about 100 hours on it this year. This stuff is simple to apply - just two thin coats. Much cheaper and easier than Prop Speed IMO.

Dave

Dave

I was not aware of anything that would protect the running gear.
Fowling of the running gear is a real problem requiring constant cleaning in tropical climates like Florida.

As recommended by interlux, I put 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of bottom paint on all my running gear and it was all gone in two months.

I'm surprised anything works on the props, but you can't beat success.

I'll give it a try next time.

Two years ago I had PropSpeed put on my props. One year later, before any touch up,*this is what they looked like - clean. I am hauling out in a few weeks and will see what they look like after their second year.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 9th of October 2011 09:17:34 AM

Attachments

• sunchaser v img_1855[1].jpg
    sunchaser v img_1855[1].jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 105
Propspeed is a great product albeit very expensive. But a word of caution. If it is not applied under perfect conditions and exactly as the manufacturer instructs, it will fail and you will have spent a lot of money. Chuck

I'm a 2.5 years on my propspeed and still clean.

All good to hear, as I had it put on last time out. Micron Extra on the rest.

Back
Top Bottom