Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Interlux Substitute

I like Interlux Brightside.
But Iím not thrilled w their colors. They basically have no shades .. just basic colors. Like school bus yellow and fire engine red.
So what paint/coating is comparable quality wise and is the same type. I think itís a one part polyurethane but donít even know if thereís different kinds of urethanes.
So what brand can I substitute to get some nice colors?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On a previous boat I used Brightside Seattle Gray but it was too dark so I mixed it with 3 parts white and 1 part gray and got a nice lighter gray. Maybe mix some???
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #3

City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
Yes it is one part paint. I painted my hull last year and was told by the boat shop lots of guys used Rustoleum for $70/gal vs the Brightside for 160. The guy helping me had experience with Brightside so we used it. We had trouble with the foam roller leaving lots of bubbles and even after tipping with a good brush there were too many bubbles. Within 10-20 minutes we had large areas of the applied paint slide down resulting in ripples and roughness. It had to be left 2-3 weeks until dry enough to sand off and try again. We thinned the paint out of the can maybe 10% but I now read to thin with a low volatile thinner up to 50% to give it more time to level out and bubbles to pop and flatten. Probably would need more coats then. As it turned out in the end I am happy with the end results.

Could you do a hand mix with some other polyurethane colors to tint to what you want?
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
Yes it is one part paint. I painted my hull last year and was told by the boat shop lots of guys used Rustoleum for $70/gal vs the Brightside for 160. The guy helping me had experience with Brightside so we used it. We had trouble with the foam roller leaving lots of bubbles and even after tipping with a good brush there were too many bubbles. Within 10-20 minutes we had large areas of the applied paint slide down resulting in ripples and roughness. It had to be left 2-3 weeks until dry enough to sand off and try again. We thinned the paint out of the can maybe 10% but I now read to thin with a low volatile thinner up to 50% to give it more time to level out and bubbles to pop and flatten. Probably would need more coats then. As it turned out in the end I am happy with the end results.

Could you do a hand mix with some other polyurethane colors to tint to what you want?

When I painted my topsides with bright side I did under a winter cover. I used Interlux thinner 333. I also had a thermometer so I was aware of the temperature rise or fall during the day. I had to use the thinner differently as per the temperature to correct for the sag the paint would develop while drying. I used 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of gloss. 6 years latter I wish I had used 2 part epoxy (perfection)
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Pettit EzPoxy is a similar polyurethane paint. Unfortunately it has a limited color palette as well.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/media/420...olor-chart.pdf
Old 05-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I like Interlux Brightside.
But I’m not thrilled w their colors. They basically have no shades .. just basic colors. Like school bus yellow and fire engine red.
So what paint/coating is comparable quality wise and is the same type. I think it’s a one part polyurethane but don’t even know if there’s different kinds of urethanes.
So what brand can I substitute to get some nice colors?
Brightside is an oil based alkyd paint with a small amount of polyureathane in it for marketing purposes and maybe some gloss or durability enhancement.

True polyurethane paint is a two part coating.

Home Depot, Sherman William's and most paint stores carry oil based paint. They will color match the paint to whatever you want. I used Sherman William's oil based enamel for painting Sandpipers exterior and it retains it's shine similar to Brightside and Easypoxy. About 5 years and the gloss is gone.

I now use System Three water based LPU paint which is a two part polyurethane. It is more durable and retains gloss longer than alkyd. Colors are limited but can be mixed for different shade.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
Guru

Well I’ve got some ideas.
I’m surprised no one mentioned Pettit marine paints. I had forgotten about it when I started this thread. This group is product driven or sensitive to things to buy.

Comodave,
Little did you know haha but I’ve done quite a bit of mixing different colors. Seemed the obvious thing to do Dave. But it was flawed. My wife said straight away “how are you going to re-paint?”. So I wrote the combinations of colors on the top of the cans. There were still problems later on. But I have mostly rejected mixing.

Transaxial,
Don’t like what I’m hearing about bubbles. I’ve never used a roller on a boat in my life. And I’ve never had bubbles in my paint.
You wrote “Could you do a hand mix with some other polyurethane colors to tint to what you want?“ Don’t know.
Most boaters here would probably be heading to two-part or other tech products. I’m (predictably) thinking about the other direction. You mention mixing oil based paints. Well if they are good enough to mix w Brightside they should be good enough to use exclusively.
I have the Interlux self help download ... I’ll check on it. I think they have oil based paint and now I’m wondering if they use the same pigments and hence have the same colors as Brightside. Hmmm

grahahamdouglass,
Got your message. But I don’t want to go there. Painting is enough trouble w/o halving to mix and to deal w other odd irregularities too. And touch-up is so easy w oil paint.

HopCar,
Oh I see you did mention Pettit. But I disagree .. better colors. This is for my 12’ row boat and I think Ice blue hull w GBbeige interior would do well. But the two together seem a little bit odd in some way. HaHa perhaps that’s why I like it. Thanks

syjos,
I used water based varnish and didn’t like it. VERY thin and cracked an flaked a bit way too soon. But it was in Alaska. They always rave about thick paints/coatings. Especially varnish. “Poly for marketing” .. kinda like 10% syn oil to be able to label the oil as a blend. I know Brightside poly was similar but had no idea it was that close to regular oil based paint. I suspect the oil based paint now offered is quite different than what I used 30 yrs ago. I just may find out. And re something above I’ll not be disappointed at recoating after 5 years.

Thanks all.
I learned some good stuff. Think I’ll look at HopCar’s color chart again.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I did painting multiple times mixing the paint colors and didnít have any problems matching the custom color. I just measured carefully for the 3:1 mix.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Nomad W

The Easypoxy paint I mentioned in my post is a Pettit single part polyurethane paint comparable to Brightside. Why they call it Easypoxy is beyond me.

Water based LPU paint is a lot more durable and easier to apply than water based varnish or clear coats. I was not impressed with WB varnish either. Hard to brush it without air bubbles and it didn't look right.

I got rid of 95% of Sandpipers exterior teak so minimal varnish. And the remaining 5% will be gone soon.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
Guru

Dave,
It was more a problem of finding it later in the garage. And I had several colors about the same color. Maybe if I was a little better organized.

syjos,
Yea I wondered bout the poxy business. I assumed it was part epoxy. haha

Oh I see why the blue ice and GB beige didn’t work. The two colors are the same value. So now I see the blue ice and Dull Dead grass works well. Not sure how I like it though. I want to combine a warm color w a cool color a bit bright .. but not loud.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #11

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
I've used Jamestown distributors Total Boat paints with good results. The only problem is you have to order on line.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
There has been some talk of rolling and tipping in this thread.
I tried it on the little skiff I built and it was awful! Brush marks and bubbles.
I was using two part Perfection. I followed the directions carefully.

I ran across a book sold by PT Watercraft that gave instructions that allowed me to roll and no tipping required. It worked great! The paint flowed out beautifully, no sags or bubbles.
?...By the way Rolling Perfection took me from very erratic results rolling and tipping to a star painter with gloss so shiny you use it to shave with. *Thanks...? D.P. ?rocketkayak?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I haven’t had very good results with mixing colors, but that’s probably just me and poor lighting. I’ve been wanting to try Epifanes paint . Has anyone tried it? I like the way their varnish moves.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
I've used Jamestown distributors Total Boat paints with good results. The only problem is you have to order on line.

Their bilge paint is definitely good stuff, so I'd consider their others worthy of trying. Be aware, any that are similar to their bilge paint in makeup will have fumes a few orders of magnitude worse than Brightside.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
Guru

For varnish I always use McClosky’s Spar Varnish. Can’t remember how I started that .. it was so far in the past. Epifanes is so popular here on TF there must be a reason so many are attracted to it that has nothing to do w the product. Perhaps it’s the odd name. I bought two cans of it about 10yrs ago but when it comes time to paint I must think there could be something else odd about it so I reach for my tried and proven. Marty in what way does varnish move?

HopCar,
I think the roll tip requires a team of two people the have perfect moves and timing. I’m not looking for drop jaw perfection. Just brushing McClosky’s gives very consistent results. Still looking at the colors on the Pettit link. Thanks

Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Eric I don’t really know that it flows any better than anything else. It may all be in my head. I just like it especially when you thin it 10 percent. But I would probably like any other varnish if I would just give it a try. It’s kinda like the first time you try Penetrol with enamel paint. I must be a real pushover by the name because I use Epifanes brushes also.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Currently painting Seafarer with Kirby Paint Co. Great quality and lots of colors. Needs to be thinned quite a bit as it is very viscous.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4282.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	102866
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
Guru

I tried to look up Kirby Paint.
Tried

Marty if Epifanes works use it and smile.
I have some Penetrol. I think I used it for my oil finish mix.
Don't remember how though.
Marty check your car if it says Epifanes on the trunk.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #19
TF Site Team

With all oil base paints and varnishes my Dad always told me to lay in on thin like a first date with a good looking woman . He said if you lay it on to thick it or she is gonna run . Each coat has to get to know the previous coat. “ Take your time son”
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I tried to look up Kirby Paint.
Tried

Here you go Eric. We used their paints for years on our old 40' wood boat. Great traditional enamel.

And if anyone needs some white lead for canvas bedding, I still have some from Kirby.

https://kirbypaint.com/