Old 02-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #1
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Interlux Perfection sold out

Hi all,

Everyone appears to be super low stock overall and sold out of Snow White, in particular, with no replenishment dates. I've had orders canceled by those who apparently mistakenly showed stock. West Marine says their order has gone unfilled since December.

Anyone know anything about it?

I'm an Awlgrip fan, but my current boat had been done in Perfection and I've liked it well enough. It isn't as hard as Awl Grip and I don't think it flows and floats quite as well, but it had a nice shine, seems to last nearly as long, seemsntovproruce less obnoxious fumes, and is much more repairable.

I'm thinking of switch over to Awlgrip when I get past the current project (I managed to get some via eBay and a neighbor).
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Take a look at Alexseal as another alternative. It's repairable like Perfection and also has a good reputation for durability. And they say you can wax it (IIRC one of the others says not to), so with some extra care, it might have a shot at lasting longer.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Anacortes
I'd been struggling to get some Interlux products from my local supplier Fisheries Supply. You made me curious so I checked them for your Snow White, nothing. So I checked the Port Supply website and found these that at least are in your state. There does seem to be a shortage on a lot of Interlux products, I'll have to ask my rep what's up.
Fort Myers - 4 qts
Ft Lauderdale - 1qt
N Palm Beach -3 qts
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
STB
Guru

Hey Sean,

Thanks!

Those were mostly apparently ghosts, existent but en route to transfer. I got one quart from Tarpon and there is apparently one somewhere else. I've got some half gallons coming via eBay, maybe.

Thanks again!
-Greg
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If the color exists as Brightside .. go w that.

We paint nearly everything on Willy w Brightside and it seems excellent in every way.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Unfortunately with the virus lots of things are now out of stock. I needed a few feet of 10/3 wire. Bestboatwire.com is out of it and they say it will likely be months before they get it and even then there isn’t a set date for delivery. Had to go to Amazon and buy a spool to get a few feet, oh well...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
Guru

You mean that their computer inventory is inaccurate? I find that hard to believe. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Hey Sean,

Thanks!

Those were mostly apparently ghosts, existent but en route to transfer. I got one quart from Tarpon and there is apparently one somewhere else. I've got some half gallons coming via eBay, maybe.

Thanks again!
-Greg
Old 02-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Take a look in certain areas of your big box stores where blister packed good reside, and you make see swathes of empty hooks these days.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
I started my painting project intending to use Perfection in Snow White. I started gathering quarts and did some test panels with the first quart, with results I was happy with. I managed to get four more quarts and then started running into this supply issue. I needed more than 4 quarts for my total project.

I contacted Akzo Nobel and they told me that they are having supply issues obtaining chemicals needed to produce many of their products and they don't know when the supply will stabilize (due to Covid).

It happens that I have 4 unopened quarts in Snow White that I'd be happy to let go of at a reasonable price, PM me if you are interested. I switched to Alexseal which is not having the same supply issues.

Per the comment about Brightside, there is no exact duplicate of color.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I am waiting for stock of Interlux Perfection Plus varnish which also seems to be sold out everywhere.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #11
Guru

If the paint is out in the weather Brightsides will last a fraction of the time Perfection or Alexseal will. I'd not use it unless there was no option.
I think Alexseal recently came out with an additive for rolling/tipping, I've not tried it but I'm curious to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
I started my painting project intending to use Perfection in Snow White. I started gathering quarts and did some test panels with the first quart, with results I was happy with. I managed to get four more quarts and then started running into this supply issue. I needed more than 4 quarts for my total project.

I contacted Akzo Nobel and they told me that they are having supply issues obtaining chemicals needed to produce many of their products and they don't know when the supply will stabilize (due to Covid).

It happens that I have 4 unopened quarts in Snow White that I'd be happy to let go of at a reasonable price, PM me if you are interested. I switched to Alexseal which is not having the same supply issues.

Per the comment about Brightside, there is no exact duplicate of color.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 AM   #12
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
What fraction? 95%? 10%?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
If the paint is out in the weather Brightsides will last a fraction of the time Perfection or Alexseal will. I'd not use it unless there was no option.
I think Alexseal recently came out with an additive for rolling/tipping, I've not tried it but I'm curious to.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:23 AM   #13
STB
Guru

IMHO, Brightside is as good as 1-part paints get. It flows nicely, has a great shine, and lasts many, many years. I've seen it on boats at least 7 years looking great, but never 10. I've seen Awlgrip boats start showing age at 10, but many still look great at a dozen or more. So, by casual dock walking, and say half to 2/3 as long?

If you have to touch up or buff, it handles it better than Awlgrip, though perhaps not as well as Perfection.

But, it is much softer than Awlgrip or Perfection and will get famage faster from dock rubs and heavy fender rubs.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I wanted a one part.

But...here is the big caution....it'll ruin your week if you try to 2-part over it. It'll blister/peel right up like it was hit with a stripper. So, go with Brightside once and there is no going to 3 part without sanding it all off. And, I mean all off.