Interior varnish tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
At some point not too far off I want to use a wipe on satin varnish on my interior. This would seem to match the original finish as far as I can tell. Very thin finish. Trim is tight up against the headliner and I am wondering how others got varnish on without getting it on the headliner. Thought about slipping something between, thin cardboard or something, as a guard but I would think that as soon as it is removed the headliner would lower into the edge of the varnish and soak at least a little bit up into the headliner material. Thought about taping it but not real excited about pulling tape off a 30 year old headliner. Maybe worry about nothing? What have others done? Any other tips to share on this process in general?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. fb. How about using wax paper instead of cardboard or wax paper covered cardboard. You could probably leave the wax paper barrier in place until the varnish is dry, then remove the paper which is unlikely to be stuck to the new finish.

What RT said. I've also used house wrap like tyvek, cut into 12" strips, tuck it in with a putty knife. The advantage of something like that is that it's tough and you won't tear it trying to tuck it in.
Your finish might be something like Daly's Profin. Nice stuff, rub it on using bronze wool, wipe off the excess. It has some solids so it builds thickness.
What I've also done that works well is rub Profin on with bronze wool then immediately wipe it off, that will help clean the surface and get dirt out of the old finish. Then rub on another coat.

I use a good quality semi gloss varnish with a small brush. I have had no trouble avoiding slops onto the headliner. The finish is the same, whether you wipe it on or brush it on, so brush at the edges, wipe the rest.

Koliver, you are a better man than me. I can't imagine being able to hand brush it on that tight against the headliner for the length of run around the cabin, cabinets, etc. Tyvex or wax paper are great ideas. Thanks guys. Any other particular hints for doing the interior? Koliver, I have always found the wipe on finish much thinner than a good varnish. That the main reason I was going to use it on this. Soaks in, no brush strokes, holidays, etc. Looks more like an oil finish than varnish. Maybe I am wrong.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. "Any other particular hints for doing the interior?" Yup. Hire someone.

200.gif

Greetings,
Mr. fb. "Any other particular hints for doing the interior?" Yup. Hire someone.

200.gif

Mr. RTF, hire someone? HIRE someone?!?! this...coming from the King of Do-It-Myself???!!? Sooooo disappointing...!!

Koliver, you are a better man than me. I can't imagine being able to hand brush it on that tight against the headliner for the length of run around the cabin, cabinets, etc. Tyvex or wax paper are great ideas. Thanks guys. Any other particular hints for doing the interior? Koliver, I have always found the wipe on finish much thinner than a good varnish. That the main reason I was going to use it on this. Soaks in, no brush strokes, holidays, etc. Looks more like an oil finish than varnish. Maybe I am wrong.

I have used the wipe on polyurethane by Minwax on furniture that I have built, with great results. I wouldn't recommend it on a refinishing of my boat interior, as it will require several coats to get a consistent, good depth of coverage. A good quality semi gloss varnish, (again I use Minwax brand or equivalent), brushed on with a good quality brush is sometimes too thin and needs a second coat, but I get no brush marks.

If the boat is a TT , check to see if the finish on the overhead is varnish.

Many used shellac as multiple coats could be put on in a day.

If you can find anyone that has some of the old clear sheets used on overhead projectors... I think they are Mylar... they work very well as paint shields... and many other things.

Cut them to the size you need. They usually slip in easily as they are thin yet strong.

They also work great to mix gel coat if you are trying to match a color... lets you mix right on the surface you are trying to match and you can compare the two side by side. Pieces taped on the area after applying the gelcoat give the patch a smooooooth surface and exclude the air for curing.

I would love to find a sourch if anyone knows or finds one as I'm getting low.

If you can find anyone that has some of the old clear sheets used on overhead projectors... I think they are Mylar... they work very well as paint shields... and many other things.

I would love to find a sourch if anyone knows or finds one as I'm getting low.

Bacchus, available at Office Depot, Walmart etc. Still in use in my office for various things.

On the type of varnish, as I mentioned, it almost looks like an oiled finish as the grain comes through.. unlike teak trim with multiple costs of "mirror" finish varnish which is why I hesitate to brush on "regular" varnish.

Last edited:
Bacchus, available at Office Depot, Walmart etc. Still in use in my office for various things.

On the type of varnish, as I mentioned, it almost looks like an oiled finish as the grain comes through.. unlike teak trim with multiple costs of "mirror" finish varnish which is why I hesitate to brush on "regular" varnish.
Thanks will check those sources.
Mask should work fine rubbing on a finish as well.
I have used tung oil wiped on where I want that subtle satin finish vs gloss varnish.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. "Sooooo disappointing...!!" I'm not allowed to paint or varnish....

200w.gif

Me either... at home. Wifey will not let me near a brush. I am allowed to roll on some occasions but not within 3 feet of something that needs a crisp line or no paint at all.

Last edited:
I see 100 sheet boxes of these clear plastic sheets at the thrift stores regularly. Since those ancient projectors went out of style, most people just discard them.

Many varnishes are sols that have low gloss.

The traditional method of breaking the gloss was to rub with rotten stone , then clean and wax.
Lee Valley Tools - Hand Rubbing with Pumice and Rottenstone

www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=41066

(80K04.01+). Pumice powder is an abrasive material used in the application of varnish, shellac or lacquer to produce a fine hand-rubbed finish. It is obtained by ...
I did something similar with some reproduction "antique" furniture with an excessively glossy finish. Using furniture grade steel wool to reduce the gloss followed by a good wax furniture polish, giving a nicely mellowed soft gloss finish.

"Using furniture grade steel wool to reduce the gloss followed by a good wax furniture polish, giving a nicely mellowed soft gloss finish."

Ultra fine grade is also made in bronze wool, no chance of leaving a tiny rust spot in the finish.

I used blue tape or frog tape. Two coats of spar varnish satin applied with a cheese cloth. The important thing is the surface has to look nice and even, color wise, BEFORE you varnish. Varnish does not hide anything. Fine sand paper, 320 or so, can lighten up any stains. Then buff out with 000 bronze wool. Lightly sand the surface and wipe down with mineral spirits. While wet, look at it. That will be what it looks like, more or less. Sand, very lightly, between coats. I did 2 coats and it came out very nice. Very tedious work but worth it.

The hardest varnish I have found is Epifanes Rubbed Effect. I finished all interior cabinetry and the floors with it. Three coats on the floor and after 11 years it still looks great. very easy to apply and because it looks like a waxed finish, small imperfections don't show.

I have used Minwax Antique Oil Finish with great results on our 22 year old boat.
Just wipe it on in one direction only and if you miss a spot leave it and go back the next day.
Bill R.

Pulled out my original GB Owners Manual and find that they list my "varnish" as "Epiglass Teakwood Oil". Can't find anything about that brand online but I am betting a reasonable quality teak oil is what I need. Knew it didn't look much like any sort of varnish. Varnishing over oil, no matter how old, would probably have been a disaster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom