Interior updates are under way !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
We have started the interior update. Top picture is new, the bottom pictures is what it looked like when we got it. Took out the 4 different kinds of carpet hull liner and scraped out all the glue. Then added some new gray marine hull liner with an added 1/4 sewfoam backing for more padding. Then we had new v-birth mattresses built, these ones are 7" thick vs the old ones at 4". And the wife covered them with a heavy sunbrella cloth.

Attachments

• egginterior.jpg
    egginterior.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Next up is the bathroom's. Took out all the wallpaper (not an easy task). I ended up using a semi commercial steamer to get it to release. We still have a lot of clean up to do and sanding. I need to fill in about a 100 small screw holes from all the stuff mounted to the walls over the years. It was surprising to see the walls are teak. I am unsure what to use as a filler, as I may end up mounting some of the same stuff over again. We will pull all the carpet out of the cubbies and replace with the same hull liner we used in the v-birth.

Attachments

• 34E1FE02-AF2D-49CA-9BC4-97617FDC73E6.jpeg
    34E1FE02-AF2D-49CA-9BC4-97617FDC73E6.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
For wall paper we are looking at the Jackolope in gray like the picture. The wife is not sold on it just yet. Our sample should arrive any day now to see how it looks.

Attachments

• egginterior3.jpg.jpg
    egginterior3.jpg.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
The new bedroom mattress is done, but we are waiting until I install the new hull liner in the bedroom. And pull down the old plastic mirror and install wallpaper.

We were going to have the wallpaper in our three heads replaced over the weekend, but the installer refused to wear a mask while in the same room as us and walked off the job when we insisted!

We were going to have the wallpaper in our three heads replaced over the weekend, but the installer refused to wear a mask while in the same room as us and walked off the job when we insisted!

Pending his skill level I may have walked first and let him finish the job. I am a little worried its going to be a troublesome task to get the paper to hang true and the seams to be as tight as I want them, and line up with the pattern. I have never done it before, so time will tell..

Next up is the bathroom's. Took out all the wallpaper (not an easy task). I ended up using a semi commercial steamer to get it to release. We still have a lot of clean up to do and sanding. I need to fill in about a 100 small screw holes from all the stuff mounted to the walls over the years. It was surprising to see the walls are teak. I am unsure what to use as a filler, as I may end up mounting some of the same stuff over again. We will pull all the carpet out of the cubbies and replace with the same hull liner we used in the v-birth.

With a nice, flat and relatively square piece of wall as you now see, I would be tempted to cover it with a new layer of teak. 1/8" plywood is available, not too spendy, can be varnished to a high gloss, perfect for a head wall.
(No Jackalopes for me)

With a nice, flat and relatively square piece of wall as you now see, I would be tempted to cover it with a new layer of teak. 1/8" plywood is available, not too spendy, can be varnished to a high gloss, perfect for a head wall.
(No Jackalopes for me)

When we first discovered it was teak that was the wifes idea as well. But everything else in the boat is varnished or oiled teak/mahogany. So I think we should keep wall paper in the heads. I am not sold on the jackolops, but I do find them more interesting than flowers. We are still looking at other patterns, with no clear winners just yet.

If you don't want more oiled / varnished wood, you could always just paint the walls (probably a matte or satin finish) instead of adding wallpaper.

As much as my wife and I like jackalopes (listen to the Steve Earle song on jackalopes), when she saw the wallpaper she commented, "Maybe in a picture frame, but not on a wall. Besides, who wants wallpaper in a steamy head?".
Two of our boats had wallpaper when we bought them and here in the PNW, both had mold/mildew issues underneath the paper. We used a satin paint on our walls and have been very happy with it.

Tator

We have started the interior update. Top picture is new, the bottom pictures is what it looked like when we got it. Took out the 4 different kinds of carpet hull liner and scraped out all the glue. Then added some new gray marine hull liner with an added 1/4 sewfoam backing for more padding. Then we had new v-birth mattresses built, these ones are 7" thick vs the old ones at 4". And the wife covered them with a heavy sunbrella cloth.

That looks fantastic. What a difference!

Also, that’s a V-berth, bit of a difference.

For wall paper we are looking at the Jackolope in gray like the picture. The wife is not sold on it just yet. Our sample should arrive any day now to see how it looks.

Am I the only one that sees a man jumping out of the hind end of that rabbit?

This is what my brain does all day long.

Well now I do :facepalm:

:D

RonR: I always enjoy "before and after" threads. Thanks for posting.

If it were me, I would fair the wall as needed, then a high-quality paint. But then I'm a plain wall person in general.

This is what my brain does all day long.

Now that you mentioned it.... ya, moving on does anyone else have some recommendations :lol:

New wallpaper/hull liner and custom built mattress in the master!

Attachments

• 6B96BF72-C4F4-49BA-BE0A-E0180A22AC84.jpeg
    6B96BF72-C4F4-49BA-BE0A-E0180A22AC84.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 33
Bathrooms are now wallpapered as well!
Just need to add the trim and mirrors back.
I will admit after trying to paper it ourself and unhappy with the results we hired a professional.
I don’t hire out much work, even if my work is not perfect I find satisfaction doing it myself. But this time around it was well worth it.

Attachments

• 9779B00A-7116-4641-A9EC-44F6CBE57A96.jpg
    9779B00A-7116-4641-A9EC-44F6CBE57A96.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I think we will update the sliders above the sink next.

And we did not go with the jack a lope. We stuck with something very close to the original design.

I have seen marine charts used for wall covering. Really looks nice, nautical, colorful and adds a bit of local flavor.

pete

Back
Top Bottom