Interior lining - do I insulate???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lghawk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48ft Trawler
Hey Everyone,

Another question...

I have attached below a photo of the new V-Berth I am building. I am going to be lining the hull with shiplap/v-board lining in between the main timbers which run vertically (roughly shown by the red lines i have drawn). There will be a cavity behind the new lining boards and the hull itself... maybe on average 100mm or so.

My initial thought is to insulate this. There is no damp in the boat, nor even a drop of water. The entire boat has been glassed and therefore the insulation would never get wet.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

L

Attachments

• Boat Lining.jpg
    Boat Lining.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 26
The usual use of a ceiling and a slight gap between boards is to ventilate and allow the hull inside to dry out.

Boats with great ventilation seldom rot.

If cruising in freezing areas the blue foam drains , so could be installed for the voyage.

Thanks guys! Most appreciated for the advice :) I think best left un-insulated. I am in the temperate waters of Sydney so i think it will be fine!

Cheers!

I just noticed this or I would have commented earlier. I agree with your conclusion - don't insulate. Wood is a very good insulator on it's own and it needs fresh air circulating to remain free of potential rot. I know you said no water will get in and the outside is glassed, but water has a funny way of finding a path eventually.

Back
Top Bottom