Old 08-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
installing removable bases for weaver chocks

Hello
I am looking for thoughts regarding mounting chocks for the dingy on the upper fiberglass deck. The plates are flat aluminum and look like 3 holes for screws on each side. My first thought is 3m 5200 or 4000 with stainless screws. I also saw some attachment with blind rivets but have never used in fiberglass .
I know you guys have seen a lot more of this then i so your advise is helpful.
Thanks
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: US PNW
I can't speak to the davits themselves, but if the deck surface is a cored laminate, I would want to do more with the core than just use caulk.

One way is to overdrill the hole, dig out some core, re-fill with plain/thickened epoxy, then once that has cured drill for screws.

Self-tapping type screws don't get that great a grip in resin/glass though, so you might consider tapping the new material for a machine screw. (Or maybe the davits want to be through-bolted; I don't know what the stresses are on them.)

Marinehowto.com (RC) has good photo-tutorials on sealing off core and bedding fasteners.

I remember DDW (back on a sailing forum) had a slick way where he epoxied in pre-tapped tubes of G10, but that's just extra coolness (and it is nifty).

Main thing to me is to really seal off the core (not solely with caulk) if it exists, and to use fasteners appropriate to the load (whatever those may be since I don't know the load).
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
You want to through-bolt that, using the hole creation method Frosty describes. Caulk would only be a sealant not an adhesive, but I suppose 5200 wouldn't hurt either. I would definitely consult with the boat manufacturer about this and the davit installation.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote