Old 09-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #1

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Install Vitrifrigo 180A Refrigerator/Freezer

Would like to install new Vitrifrigo 180A (internal compressor type) refer in place of old Grunert cold plate. I can shove it in but it will be a tight fit. I am concerned about the spacing they call for in the install instructions which states "The recess must respect the minimum distances between the appliance and the surrounding structure." And they call out that distance as 75mm which is just under 3 inches. I could be interpreting this wrong, it's converted from Italian and hard to understand. The problem is I won't have the 3 inch spacing. Might get 2 on the sides but nil on top or behind. I could get 2 inch on the back side if I install the unit with "proud" drawers as opposed to flush mount which I (and the Admiral) prefer.
The compressor is at the bottom/aft and requires venting. I can provide for that which is more important than the spacing, I believe.
I have seen other pictures of these Vitrifrigo units stuffed in Grand Banks just as mine and they sure don't look like they would have the spacing either.
I would hate to install this unit and then find it doesn't cool down properly. I've asked Vitrifrigo for some guidance but nothing back yet.
Have any of you installed one of these or similar units? Can you provide any words of wisdom regarding spacing and or ventilation?
Sorry for the sideways photo - could not figure it out...yet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2531[1].jpg  
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I can’t speak to that particular model but there was a Vitrifugo in our last boat and it didn’t cool well until I added a high and low vent and put a fan to blow air into the cabinet. Then it worked well. The model I had had terminals for the fan. It would run while the compressor was running. I would make sure that you have adequate ventilation and add a fan.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Boy, if you totaled up all the threads and posts about having to re-engineer or improve or rehabilitate or nurse-along or ventilate or repair or add supplemental components to, or find spare parts for, really expensive "marine" fridges. Not really helpful to the OP I know, but after joining the 110v fridge with an inverter crowd, I'll never go back. When I think of all the money and time I spent fighting with lukewarm dual 110/12 marine refrigerators - but I'll shut up now, I'm not being helpful.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Our new Isotherm 12/120 volt refer works extremely well. We run it on a setting of 3 out of 8 any colder and it will freeze stuff in the refer section.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Chances are the fridge already has a fan connected to a terminal block that energizes the fan when the compressor comes on. As Comodave notes, add an intake and an outlet fan to the cabinet and wire to the same posts on the terminal block as the factory fan.

Not a specific recommendation, but here is a typical 4" 12v computer muffin fan.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECWKD6I...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Check the specs for that model Vitrifugo and see how much current the circuit board can support. The Vitrifugo refer I had could do .5 amps for a fan. But that is a huge waste of power with a fan that big. I used a computer fan that drew .05 amps or 50 mAmps and it moved enough air. I also put the same fan behind our new refer in our current boat and it cools extremely well.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I can’t speak to that particular model but there was a Vitrifugo in our last boat and it didn’t cool well until I added a high and low vent and put a fan to blow air into the cabinet. Then it worked well. The model I had had terminals for the fan. It would run while the compressor was running. I would make sure that you have adequate ventilation and add a fan.
Thanks Dave. I am now more inclined to tackle this project with backup plans that have been proven.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Boy, if you totaled up all the threads and posts about having to re-engineer or improve or rehabilitate or nurse-along or ventilate or repair or add supplemental components to, or find spare parts for, really expensive "marine" fridges. Not really helpful to the OP I know, but after joining the 110v fridge with an inverter crowd, I'll never go back. When I think of all the money and time I spent fighting with lukewarm dual 110/12 marine refrigerators - but I'll shut up now, I'm not being helpful.
You ask a question on a forum and you should expect all kinds of answers. You make a valid point based on experience and I appreciate your comment Karl.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #9

Peter & Dave, appreciate the comments on the low power fan. I'll be ready if necessary to implement this low cost solution if needed.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

This is the fan I used. Got it on Amazon.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)
Old 09-22-2022, 05:47 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Dave... thanks for the fan details. I've been wanting to add the fan to my fridge / fridge Vitrifugo for several years... may actually get around to it this winter / spring.
Mine has struggled in real hot Wx to keep cool and I'm sure the ventilation is not what it could / should be.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave... thanks for the fan details. I've been wanting to add the fan to my fridge / fridge Vitrifugo for several years... may actually get around to it this winter / spring.
Mine has struggled in real hot Wx to keep cool and I'm sure the ventilation is not what it could / should be.
Bacchus - I recently did this on my camper van. There were "fan" terminals clearly labeled on the terminal strip so wiring was easy. The fan wires are very fine - 22 gauge or so. 2-3 of them fit easily into a spade connector (red or blue, I forget which i used).

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the fan wires are very small and it has 4 wires if I remember correctly so you have to test to see which wires are + and -. Not a big problem but the fan was designed for a computer. The great thing is the 50 mAmp power consumption.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #14

Another question for all, maybe a different thread ........I have the option of running this unit on AC power and for the most part I'm hooked up to shore power. Is there a benefit to running AC or DC? I do also have an inverter and I could maybe run the AC power from the inverter. Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Hi Pat,
Not an answer to the question that you asked, but; the hands down BEST boat inprovement project we have ever done was replacing the Grunert holding plate setup on our 42 Grand Banks. Ours had an 80+ pound 120 volt compressor in the engine room powering two boxes; one in the galley (fridge) and one in the aft port corner of the salon (freezer.) Did not work well on either end, was noisy, water cooled so the annoying sound of discharge water splashing whenever it ran, only worked on shore power or generator, and a city the size of Nanaimo would go dim with the start up power demand. Removed the compessor, holding plates, and all associated plumbing. Installed two Waeco Coolmatic compressors (Danfoss) with a plate evaporator in the fridge and a a larger finned eveporator with a fan in the freezer. Totally silent, worked great, ice cream hard as a rock, and about 8% the power draw. 12 volt only, air cooled, compressors in the engine room, simple. The best part was that we retained the beautiful stock Grand Banks teak boxes. This was over 20 years ago, and there are now many choices of manufacturers to choose from for a similar set up. I would advocate this approach as opposed to replacing the box itself with a more modern unit as I find the esthetics much better, and no cabinetry alterations required. Just another opinion! Good luck.
Regards,
Scott
Endeavor GB 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor GB 32 View Post
Hi Pat,
Not an answer to the question that you asked, but; the hands down BEST boat inprovement project we have ever done was replacing the Grunert holding plate setup on our 42 Grand Banks. Ours had an 80+ pound 120 volt compressor in the engine room powering two boxes; one in the galley (fridge) and one in the aft port corner of the salon (freezer.) Did not work well on either end, was noisy, water cooled so the annoying sound of discharge water splashing whenever it ran, only worked on shore power or generator, and a city the size of Nanaimo would go dim with the start up power demand. Removed the compessor, holding plates, and all associated plumbing. Installed two Waeco Coolmatic compressors (Danfoss) with a plate evaporator in the fridge and a a larger finned eveporator with a fan in the freezer. Totally silent, worked great, ice cream hard as a rock, and about 8% the power draw. 12 volt only, air cooled, compressors in the engine room, simple. The best part was that we retained the beautiful stock Grand Banks teak boxes. This was over 20 years ago, and there are now many choices of manufacturers to choose from for a similar set up. I would advocate this approach as opposed to replacing the box itself with a more modern unit as I find the esthetics much better, and no cabinetry alterations required. Just another opinion! Good luck.
Regards,
Scott
Thanks Scott. Appreciate your thoughts. The reason I am leaning toward the Vertifrigo is b/c my current refer and or fridge leaks when I defrost. It leaks right through the floor and my best guess is that the leaks come from behind the cold plates. So, I am guessing the current box is not good and would need some sort of rebuild anyway. Too much trouble. Too many unknowns. I just want to rip it out and be done with it. Additionally, the current hinges & door locks are not in good shape either.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #17
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
I also had performance issues with my Isotherm 195 Frig this summer. It is 2 yrs old. Talking to the manufacturers rep he suggested I add vents and a pancake fan as suggested but he warned me against patching into the fridges power circuits, AC or DC. He said do not do it. Always check with the Mfg on electrical requirement changes.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
I also had performance issues with my Isotherm 195 Frig this summer. It is 2 yrs old. Talking to the manufacturers rep he suggested I add vents and a pancake fan as suggested but he warned me against patching into the fridges power circuits, AC or DC. He said do not do it. Always check with the Mfg on electrical requirement changes.
On our new Isotherm refer the owners manual didn’t address adding a fan so I didn’t go to the circuit board for power. I hooked the fan directly into the power cables to the refer with a fuse inline. That way the fan will run anytime the refer has 12 volt power to it. Since the fan is only 50 mAmps it isn’t a big issue about wasting power. On our last boat we had a Vitrifugo refer and the owners manual was much more specific and it said you could add a fan up to .5 amps so the .05 amp fan wasn’t much of a load.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Pat T,

We have a GB 42 Classic with the same galley arrangement as you. This spring, we had a Vitrifrigo 180 installed and love it. It was a tight fit and did require a little interior cabinet trimming but it did go in with a flush front fit. Probably doesn't meet manufacturer specs for clearance but it does work very well. We installed vents on the back and side of the cabinet. We just completed a month-long trip to Canada and the fridge worked perfectly running 24/7 the whole time. We had some very hot days but it never seemed the fridge was straining to keep it's cool.
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon GB View Post
Pat T,

We have a GB 42 Classic with the same galley arrangement as you. This spring, we had a Vitrifrigo 180 installed and love it. It was a tight fit and did require a little interior cabinet trimming but it did go in with a flush front fit. Probably doesn't meet manufacturer specs for clearance but it does work very well. We installed vents on the back and side of the cabinet. We just completed a month-long trip to Canada and the fridge worked perfectly running 24/7 the whole time. We had some very hot days but it never seemed the fridge was straining to keep it's cool.
Thanks Gordon. I have seen your inspiring photos on Facebook. The fridge/freezer look great. Per your Facebook pic it seems like you have more room/spacing than I will have above the unit. If I have my calculations correct I will have almost no space between the frame of the unit and the top wood trim piece that goes around the countertop. Looks like you have an inch or so. Hard to believe Grand Banks made different height countertops? And if I install flush doors I will only have, at most, 1/2 inch spacing in the back. Good to know yours works and I appreciate your input.
If you get a chance could you measure the height of your counter top and total depth of your cabinet?
Regardless, I am going try this out. The new unit should arrive by early next week and I'll have some first hand dimensions of the actual product. This will be a winter project for me here in the Midwest.